News Article: “Bruins Have A Logjam on Defense”

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
My latest article takes a look at how the Bruins defense has gotten to where it is today and what may happen going forward:

The Bruins Have A Logjam On Defense

I've been impressed with Moore and the contract is pretty dam good.

I agree Kampher being sent down however unfortunately he will be claimed.

Miller should be traded (to injury prone for my liking) and I can see him returning to LA. His value is all time low only because of his injury history. So the return will be meh.

I'm hoping to see Zboril have some NHL time soon. He's due.

Krug is so dam good unfortunately he will most likely be traded but the trade will net the 2nd line forward needed. Gryz is his replacement and his contract should be more cap friendly.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
IDK, I think we'd be surprised at interest in Kampfer. Right-shot guy, veteran player, his contract is so low that the other year is inconsequential really, at his AAV it's either him or another player making roughly the same salary taking up a roster spot. I think there is a respect around the league for the Bruins defensive play at they are gaining a rep as a bit of a D-man factory IMO. Other teams can see what they've done and are doing when it comes to developing quality D-men.

I agree with that - Kampfer's a genuine NHL-quality defender who would make the starting 6 of most teams. He'd be an upgrade to the Leafs' D for a start, not that that's saying too much. Plus his salary is pretty reasonable, and as you say his contract is not long. I'd like the Bruins to keep him, as he's a perfect 7th D, but if he does have or want to go then it needs to be for or as part of something of value, not just recovering a little cap space through losing him via waivers.

Looking a little more long term you lock up McAvoy, Carlo and Krug. Gryz is vulnerable to Seattle but he's a local boy who's unlikely to want to move clear across the country so If I'm Sweeney I offer Seattle Clifton plus a sweetener, should it come down to it. Would hate to see Cliffy go but he's less valuable than Gryz, there are other youngsters knocking on the door, and I think Seattle would quite happily take him without asking for too much more. Vaak's a keeper, and Miller brings a physical side that this team really needs, plus his trade value has to be almost zero with his long-term injuries. I like Lauzon and I still see some potential in Zboril, but I'd willingly trade away either as part of the right deal. Neither is any help though in clearing cap space, and again their trade value isn't that high.

So I feel that's why myself and others keep coming back to Moore. Good player but doesn't bring anything that between them our other defenders also contribute, sitting on decent money, not too old yet, with a relatively high trade potential once he proves he's back to full fitness. If someone's going to go it's going to be him or maybe Kampfer, but the latter alone will not clear the cap space we need to land any sort of decent middle-6 forward.

The wash up come 2021 will still leave us with at least Chucky, Carlo, Krug, hopefully Gryz, Vaak, at least one of Lauzon or Zboril, Miller if we're lucky with his fitness, and potentially an additional, ideally larger D filling Chara's place. That's a really solid group.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Miller should be traded (to injury prone for my liking) and I can see him returning to LA. His value is all time low only because of his injury history. So the return will be meh.

Krug is so dam good unfortunately he will most likely be traded but the trade will net the 2nd line forward needed. Gryz is his replacement and his contract should be more cap friendly.

Krug's not leaving Boston. I've said it before and I'll keep saying it until the day he re-signs. Sweeney will get it done and Torey will be reasonable. I'm not the least bit worried about him going.

Should it somehow miraculously and tragically occur I'll happily have people dig this up and fairly mock me for it. I just can't see it.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

I see very little chance Krug is traded. His value right now is to strong contending teams.

I can't see the Bruins wanting to beef up another cup contender while losing a core guy on the ice and in the locker room. I also do t think any top co tender is looking to give up the type of quality 2 nd line winger that will make for all trading Krug costs you

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Thanks for all the feedback.

Right now the Bruins are at 22/23 on the roster, so if/when they activate Moore, they are ok.

Miller is on LTIR and not waiver exempt. Ritchie is on IR and not waiver exempt. Kuhlman is on IR and is exempt.

So, when they are completely healthy the Bruins will be at 25 non-waiver exempt guys (assuming Bjork is no longer exempt by the time everyone is ready to play and Kuhlman is sent down).

Personally, I would send Ritchie and Kampfer down. I think they both clear and while I value Kampfer’s ability to come off the bench, I don’t think it’s enough to get him claimed.

Reactions: Blowfish

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
My latest article takes a look at how the Bruins defense has gotten to where it is today and what may happen going forward:

The Bruins Have A Logjam On Defense

Great read!

I have a lot of respect for Kampfer. He's been solid when asked to play. I'll remember his goal in game 1 vs Carolina very fondly. I hope there's a way he can stay as a depth guy. Donny is a really good GM and I think he'll make the right play.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Trade Miller, once cleared for play, to Arizona, which needs a bottom-pairing D with toughness. Add a low-round pick and get RW right-shot Christian Fischer in return.
Because the Bruins don't need a bottom pair D that is tough? Miller should be in whenever he is healthy and forever how long he is healthy. It sucks that he cannot be counted on due to his injury history.

Move whichever of Moore or Kampfer gets you the most. It should be Moore but his contract may scare away some teams so maybe Kampfer becomes the better options for a team looking for a third pair D.

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Grizz-Miller
Clifton-Moore

If they carry 8 D, which they should instead of losing one for nothing on waivers.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
It depends. A healthy Miller playing his best is what the Bruins lacked in the playoffs. DS knows that, and might just wait and see whether he regains that or plays more on the fringes before deciding.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Why would either team do that? I get the B's need to shed at least one defenseman, but trading him for a guy who doesn't fill your hole on 2RW isn't how they need to do it. Fischer is young, but doesn't fit the mold of a bruins player either. Below average corsi numbers, not a scorer, and an average (maybe a tad above, but not massively so) skater. he is a big body, and I guess the bruins could use him - I just don't think he's the right fit for the Bruins. On the flip side, why would the Coyotes trade away any offense, for a defensive D man, even if he does bring some snarl (which they could honestly use). The Coyotes are bottom third in scoring, and need to ADD offense, not take it away.

I don't mind trading Miller (though he's a great team guy), I just don't see Fischer being the guy the Bruins might be interested in. Now, you want to slide in Conor Garland, I'd listen. Looks to ave more offensive upside that Fischer, and is a better skater. I'd make that trade for sure. Almost certainly cost a bit more, and Arizona unlikely to do it for the same reasons I made above, but worth it if they could swing it. I think he'd do well with Krejci and Debrusk (once Bergy is healthy).

One other reason I don't see either of these trades happening is that the Coyotes are playing winning hockey, and Chayka seems intent on only doing deals that have a solid impact this season. I don't think moving either of those forwards does that for their team. plus, the Cototes are still finishing rebuilding, and trading a young cost-controlled guy for an older pending UFA isn't good asset management on their part.

Acquiring Fischer for Miller is not meant as a way to fill the #2 RW hole but rather to take advantage of whatever trade value Miller has (his final season before becoming UFA) and, in doing so, get a player who helps to fill an organizational gap (right-shot RW). Trading Miller also helps to reduce the D logjam in Boston.

There are rumors that Arizona may make a play for Taylor Hall. That would shore up the team's offense. Having Miller on the Coyotes would also strengthen the team.

Reactions: Strafer

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I know Miller has had a lot of injuries, and I know there's still a long way to go.

But right now a rematch with St. Louis is looking quite possible, and I'd love to have Miller (and a healthy Wagner) in that scenario.

The Bruins made it to game seven of the SCF without Miller. In addition, Boston failed to win because the team's first line, along with Debrusk and Krejci, failed to show up. Not having Miller in the lineup was, in my opinion, irrelevant. He's expendable.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Miller is the obvious trade choice but Moore would probably give a slightly higher return. Moore's contract is worse and I think Miller is a better player but Miller is lucky to play half a season at this point.

I say trade Miller for a 4th round pick or something and waive Ritchie. I'm not so sure Kampfer would clear. He's not anything special but he's a serviceable 6th Dman and I've been surprised by how many teams I've seen mention lacking solid bottom pairing Dmen.

I also like having Moore around for the expansion draft. Easy to expose.

Reactions: Strafer and Estlin

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

I thought Moore was good until got scratched due to numbers and came back got hurt - his contract is solid

I did read on twitter though it’s an all time worse deal.

Reactions: Blowfish

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
You can never have to many defenseman

I’m holding on to them all - waive Kampfer and hope he clears

amazing at all the defense and Lindgren is in NY playing exceptionally well on a second pair - he’s in Providence here

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
trading Moore is the obvious option. I think he has more value to the Bruins than Miller because he probably has a lot more hockey left in him, but if you can move the guy who has multiple years remaining you gotta do it. Miller they can just let walk after this year.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
You can never have to many defenseman

I’m holding on to them all - waive Kampfer and hope he clears

amazing at all the defense and Lindgren is in NY playing exceptionally well on a second pair - he’s in Providence here
that's kind of an argument that you can have too many defensemen IMO. Eventually guys like Zboril & Lauzon need to play in the NHL. Having them stuck behind John Moore, who is already redundant would be a mistake. You trade Moore and trust that the kids are ready.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
that's kind of an argument that you can have too many defensemen IMO. Eventually guys like Zboril & Lauzon need to play in the NHL. Having them stuck behind John Moore, who is already redundant would be a mistake. You trade Moore and trust that the kids are ready.
ok, take that example, where exactly does Providence draw from in terms of personnel, when an organization elects to bring untested players to the next level..... is it Atlanta, is it college?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I’m only looking at 2019-20

no idea what Z and Krug are doing as of today

Krug whereabouts changes at least 2 guys futures

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
ok, take that example, where exactly does Providence draw from in terms of personnel, when an organization elects to bring untested players to the next level..... is it Atlanta, is it college?

To be honest, the last concern for the Bruins should be what the P Bruins roster looks like. That teams has one main purpose and that is to put players on the Boston roster. They will never be short players, though. Every year there are hundreds of pros that are AHL quality (of varying degrees) who can be signed.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

Trading Krug makes absolutely zero sense for the way this team is constructed.

If he leaves as UFA, he leaves, but trading him during the season, a season where you're a legitimate Cup favorite, is just...dumb. Krug is the type of player Cup contenders trade FOR, not away. Especially to keep guys like John Moore or Kevan Miller.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
short answer: I don't really care what Providence does except as it relates to developing players for Boston

Reactions: JRull86

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Good read, well written article.

For me, it's a fairly easy decision. Anders Bjork has more than earned his roster spot and wing spot in the top 9, so he stays through waiver exemption. I think Miller is most valuable to this team if he can just stay healthy and I would like to see them shed Moore's contract. I would trade Moore for whatever they can get and waive Kampfer once Miller is finally healthy. Kampfer can be a veteran leader in Providence and be recalled whenever they run into injury issues, which I'm sure they will. I doubt he would get traded.

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Grzelcyk-Clifton/Miller
Kampfer as the 7D until Miller is healthy. Waived if they want to keep 14 F, kept as the 8th D if they go 13 F.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
To be honest, the last concern for the Bruins should be what the P Bruins roster looks like. That teams has one main purpose and that is to put players on the Boston roster. They will never be short players, though. Every year there are hundreds of pros that are AHL quality (of varying degrees) who can be signed.
totally disagree, Providence has been, a model, of how an organization is utilized, at least under the Sweeney era of management, which has been mentioned frequently by Bruins media, notably Andy Brickley, how many forwards and D, since Sweeney started overseeing Providence, that those players can step immediately into the roles that need to be filled, it's working, no matter if it's been Kevin Dean, or even Cassidy in Providence when Julien was here.

Reactions: wintersej

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Good read, well written article.

For me, it's a fairly easy decision. Anders Bjork has more than earned his roster spot and wing spot in the top 9, so he stays through waiver exemption. I think Miller is most valuable to this team if he can just stay healthy and I would like to see them shed Moore's contract. I would trade Moore for whatever they can get and waive Kampfer once Miller is finally healthy. Kampfer can be a veteran leader in Providence and be recalled whenever they run into injury issues, which I'm sure they will. I doubt he would get traded.

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Grzelcyk-Clifton/Miller
Kampfer as the 7D until Miller is healthy. Waived if they want to keep 14 F, kept as the 8th D if they go 13 F.
Massive "if" for Miller, think the most games he played in a year over the last 4 years was 70 ish 3-4 years ago, didn`t even hit 40 last year. Love his physicality, love his willingness to get incredibly offended and nasty when an opponent tries to take to the front of the net but as much as I try to be positive, just can`t when it comes to Miller and being healthy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad