McKenzie: “…the #2 pick is very much up for grabs…”/The 2OA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Assuming Carolina wants a Center(and Flyers want a high end winger), Nolan Patrick and 17th pick?

Patrick put up 30 pts as a teenager playing limited minutes most of the season and played center in the NHL and he was coming off of Hernia surgery. Patrick for #2 would be fair, but would not add another 1st. I'm partial to keeping the player that is the C because we can roll for the next decade with our top 2 C's as Couturier & Patrick that's p sweet.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
Should be a given. Canes are looking to trade the 2nd overall away for the lawlz, but this way a team might come with a substantial offer that may shock the canes.
You should always be willing to listen. Buffalo, probably not, everyone else, yes. If you're not listening you're hurting your team.
nope, it'll take a huge overpayment for svech ot be dealt. there's no point to listen to a barrage of ridiculous offers

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I can't say I'm necessarily surprised. Didn't the owner say they're too soft to play against? I wouldn't be shocked if they DO want Tkachuk but don't feel the need to use #2 on him and could trade down to the 4-6 spot to get him instead while acquiring extra assets.

Of course, I still think they'd benefit from having Svechnikov or Zadina much more than using their pick on Tkachuk, but whatever.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
I can't see a trade that wouldn't cause me to abandon my fandom that would likely happen. (Sure I'd take McDavid but the Oilers would NEVER make that offer)
Just my 2 Beans..

Reactions: sheriff bart

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Personally I'm not against dealing it, it would just need to be for a very specific kind of player.

i.e. adding a lot onto it to get Barkov. (Slavin + 2nd OA for Barkov+?)

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
He's not that much behind Dahlin.
I get that he is the consensus number 2 amongst scouts but how close is he really? Not being an ass I am legitimately asking your opinion. Dahlin by all accounts is the best defensive prospect in 20+ years. Is Svech the best winger prospect in the same amount of time?
Care to explain why?
Same as above. Care to explain why?

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I get that he is the consensus number 2 amongst scouts but how close is he really? Not being an ass I am legitimately asking your opinion. Dahlin by all accounts is the best defensive prospect in 20+ years. Is Svech the best winger prospect in the same amount of time?

Care to explain why?

Do you think you’d have to add to ROR for Patrik Laine? I think Svechnikov is the same type of elite goal scorer. Are you overrating ROR or underrating Svechnikov?

Position is important but it’s possible that Svechnikov will outscore ROR every season of his career. Factor in the age, ELC, ceiling as a Superstar, etc. and it becomes pretty easy to see.

Reactions: sheriff bart

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Do you think you’d have to add to ROR for Patrik Laine? I think Svechnikov is the same type of elite goal scorer. Are you overrating ROR or underrating Svechnikov?

Position is important but it’s possible that Svechnikov will outscore ROR every season of his career. Factor in the age, ELC, ceiling as a Superstar, etc. and it becomes pretty easy to see.
Probably underrating Svech. When Laine isn't scoring goals what is he bringing to the table though? Quite honestly not much from what I've seen so far. He has lots to learn still and can still grow his game obviously. I would never argue against Svech outscoring ROR but ROR brings a lot more to the game than pointz.
I get his ceiling is a superstar but what's his floor? Can he still be a productive NHLer if the scoring doesn't translate?

I guess my question is now, how much does Buffalo have to add to ROR to get 2OA?

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization

i wouldn't call svech an elite goal srorer, but he's a much more better playmaker than laine will ever be.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Care to explain why?

Dahlin would only be considered for McDavid in a trade, Svec is an elite 2nd overall(favourite to go 2nd), the trade value isn't from McDavid to ROR with these 2 picks.
He's close to Eichel/Laine value, not there but close I would say.

Like Carolina fans have said it should take a proven u23y #1C in a trade to get that pick, which is never happening.

Probably underrating Svech. When Laine isn't scoring goals what is he bringing to the table though? Quite honestly not much from what I've seen so far. He has lots to learn still and can still grow his game obviously. I would never argue against Svech outscoring ROR but ROR brings a lot more to the game than pointz.
I get his ceiling is a superstar but what's his floor? Can he still be a productive NHLer if the scoring doesn't translate?

I guess my question is now, how much does Buffalo have to add to ROR to get 2OA?

Passing, physicality, and probably the biggest, a constant threat to score from anywhere, which opens a ton of space for his linemates. Opponents constantly cheat to cover him.

You can see this on pp where Scheifele has space.

Last edited:

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Dahlin would only be considered for McDavid in a trade, Svec is an elite 2nd overall(favourite to go 2nd), the trade value isn't from McDavid to ROR with these 2 picks.
He's close to Eichel/Laine value, not there but close I would say.

Like Carolina fans have said it should take a proven u23y #1C in a trade to get that pick, which is never happening.

Passing, physicality, and probably the biggest, a constant threat to score from anywhere, which opens a ton of space for his linemates. Opponents constantly cheat to cover him.

You can see this on pp where Scheifele has space.
Understood. Thanks for the replies!

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Fire bergevin, let canes sign him as GM, offer Weber.
That's about the only way to get that 2OA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad