McKenzie: “…the #2 pick is very much up for grabs…”/The 2OA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Assuming Carolina wants a Center(and Flyers want a high end winger), Nolan Patrick and 17th pick?

Why would Philly need to add 17. Patrick was a number two and considered neck and neck Hischier to the draft floor. Put up 30 but missed 9 games and coming into this year was coming of some major down time. Basically it’s a straight swap IMO but I would rather have a C than a winger regardless of how good they are. You build teams down the middle.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
So I can't figure out why they should do this trade.

They don't have to be always defense 1st. They have a shot at a line driver, someone who by style should be a fantastic fit with Aho and be cost controlled for years.
I also believe selecting Svec would give a boost to Carolinas market, he's exciting, he's someone you sell.
Don't think Monahan brings that excitement.

They have a shot at being an elite defensive team with Aho& Svec killing it at F.
I don't believe Svech will be a better player than Monahan is personally. He is a ~70 point center who was near ppg before his injury, not a guarantee Svech is capable of reaching that level. I agree with you on the excitement part and that Svech will probably be more of an entertaining player to watch, but I also think that winning games and going to the playoffs constantly will sell and fill seats in Carolina. I would rather build a strong central core of Monahan, Necas, and Staal rather than having to play Necas and Staal up a line and have them be in the mismatched role. Just the way I would rather build the Canes, but I admit I only watched maybe 3-4 Canes game this season(not including games vs the Leafs) and am not an avid follower of the team. It could be for the canes having 2 great wingers works better with each capable of driving their own line.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Assuming Carolina wants a Center(and Flyers want a high end winger), Nolan Patrick and 17th pick?

take out the 17th and the offer is fair, but centers are far more valuable than wingers, and Hextall is also on record saying he wants to build around center and defense depth. so it'd never happen.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don't believe Svech will be a better player than Monahan is personally. He is a ~70 point center who was near ppg before his injury, not a guarantee Svech is capable of reaching that level. I agree with you on the excitement part and that Svech will probably be more of an entertaining player to watch, but I also think that winning games and going to the playoffs constantly will sell and fill seats in Carolina. I would rather build a strong central core of Monahan, Necas, and Staal rather than having to play Necas and Staal up a line and have them be in the mismatched role. Just the way I would rather build the Canes, but I admit I only watched maybe 3-4 Canes game this season(not including games vs the Leafs) and am not an avid follower of the team. It could be for the canes having 2 great wingers works better with each capable of driving their own line.

Monahan may be that but I don't see him as a driver, I'm not sure he's a driver on a Cup contending team.

Aho, Svec& Necas give Carolina fans something to hope for offensively again, for a long time. I pick Svec and use the money on fixing goaltending.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
When was the last time a top 5 pick was ever traded? Not happening, just trying to get more people to watch TSN

2010 (Seguin.) The last time a Top 5 pick was knowingly traded was 2008 (Schenn.) The last time the 2OA was knowingly traded was 2001 (Spezza.)

The only reason I started this thread is because I imagine this is just the first of many times this is going to be speculated on by the media up until the time of the pick. Between Dundon’s perceived out-of-the box nature, Dudley’s history with top picks and the perception of Waddell as for the lack of a better term, an idiot, I think this drum is going to be really beat on moreso than in recent years.

Reactions: Esq and Chainshot

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
i think he's a 70 point player because of gaudreau. i think he'd be a 50-60 point guy with average linemates

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Doubt it happens. Sounds like a #2 pick is exactly what Carolina needs... not only in terms of in the rink but .. in the bank account..

3 years of ELC for a most likely star is music to owners ears

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Should be a given. Canes are looking to trade the 2nd overall away for the lawlz, but this way a team might come with a substantial offer that may shock the canes.

You should always be willing to listen. Buffalo, probably not, everyone else, yes. If you're not listening you're hurting your team.

Jan 21, 2018
2010 (Seguin.) The last time a Top 5 pick was knowingly traded was 2008 (Schenn.) The last time the 2OA was knowingly traded was 2001 (Spezza.)

The only reason I started this thread is because I imagine this is just the first of many times this is going to be speculated on by the media up until the time of the pick. Between Dundon’s perceived out-of-the box nature, Dudley’s history with top picks and the perception of Waddell as for the lack of a better term, an idiot, I think this drum is going to be really beat on moreso than in recent years.

thanks. yea its not happening, move on people.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Backstrom is too old, even at 27 he would be too old to consider moving the #2 pick for in all honesty.

I wasn't joking when I mentioned the 4 players I did, that's about what it would take to dislodge the #2 pick, a U-23 that's already established as a #1 C. Obviously those guys are worth more which is why I said the team offering would be insane to do it.

Yeah that's the problem with trading high picks. The giving team wants the other team to pay for the potential, the receiving team usually isn't giving an already high caliber young player for potential. That's why it almost never happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad