McKenzie: “…the #2 pick is very much up for grabs…”/The 2OA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/the-tsn-hockey-bobcast-season-2-episode-17-1.1076164

A pretty lengthy discussion about Carolina and 2OA starts at the ~11:30 mark of the latest Bobcast.

As ominous as that quote is, the totality of McKenzie’s remarks made it sound as if the Canes aren’t necessarily looking to trade the pick, just that it’s in play. That would match Waddell’s public posture after the lottery and in his interview the other day.

I imagine this is going to be a significant storyline going into the offseason, whether anything comes from it or not.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Good luck finding a young cheap #1C from a 3rd team.

Last year it was Dallas, the year before Columbus?

This garbage needs to stop, it's every damm year, Svec helps to address Canes biggest longterm weakness.

Isn’t he a winger though?

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Imagine if Carolina accepts this and drafts Brady!! Matt + Brady = Calgary Tkachuks

I think if we went after Brady it would be more at 4OA. We need a goal scorer so any of Tkachuk, Svechnikov, Zadina, or Wahlstrom would help with our lack of secondary scoring. However, If I’m trading up to two I want Svechnikov, no question.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/the-tsn-hockey-bobcast-season-2-episode-17-1.1076164

A pretty lengthy discussion about Carolina and 2OA starts at the ~11:30 mark of the latest Bobcast.

As ominous as that quote is, the totality of McKenzie’s remarks made it sound as if the Canes aren’t necessarily looking to trade the pick, just that it’s in play. That would match Waddell’s public posture after the lottery and in his interview the other day.

I imagine this is going to be a significant storyline going into the offseason, whether anything comes from it or not.

I would suggest that every pick not named #1 is "in play". Teams do that after every lottery but it doesn't necessarily mean they will move the picks. And no, sorry to burst the bubble here, but nobody is going to offer anything that's irresistible for the #1....not going to happen !

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Would the flames deal Monohan for that pick? Right now that's a bad deal for the flames, but in 2 or 3 years if svech lives up to the hype it could be a good one. Replacing Monohan wont be easy though, with only Backlund as a porven nhl center for the flames. Another center that might make some sense is Backstrom from the caps if they get out in the 2nd round. Backstrom is an elite center signed for 2 more seasons at a great cap hit. His age is the major issue, if he was 27 or 28 you get 5-6 years of elite play versus 2-3 that he now offers. The Canes will 99% not trade the 2nd pick but these are some types of deals that they may be offered for it.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Would the flames deal Monohan for that pick? Right now that's a bad deal for the flames, but in 2 or 3 years if svech lives up to the hype it could be a good one. Replacing Monohan wont be easy though, with only Backlund as a porven nhl center for the flames. Another center that might make some sense is Backstrom from the caps if they get out in the 2nd round. Backstrom is an elite center signed for 2 more seasons at a great cap hit. His age is the major issue, if he was 27 or 28 you get 5-6 years of elite play versus 2-3 that he now offers. The Canes will 99% not trade the 2nd pick but these are some types of deals that they may be offered for it.

I don't think Monahan is good enough to be the driver on a contender team.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I don't see it happening just because of the clear dropoff after Dahlin and Svechnikov. I like Zadina, but I even think he's far away from those two.

This draft is regarded as deep, just not filled with top-end talent and that's why I see Carolina holding onto that pick.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Assuming Carolina wants a Center(and Flyers want a high end winger), Nolan Patrick and 17th pick?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Backstrom is too old, even at 27 he would be too old to consider moving the #2 pick for in all honesty.

I wasn't joking when I mentioned the 4 players I did, that's about what it would take to dislodge the #2 pick, a U-23 that's already established as a #1 C. Obviously those guys are worth more which is why I said the team offering would be insane to do it.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I don't think Monahan is good enough to be the driver on a contender team.
He probably does not need to be the driver. The canes will almost always be a defense and possession first team. They have a really well-built backend who will be driving a lot of chances and help to transition plays for the Canes forwards. Plus Monahan has proven to be an elite wingman for a line driving type of talent. A guy like Aho as a winger is able to generate great offense and will be able to play well with someone who has a great shot and ability to get himself open like Monahan. Monahan should be good for 65+ points as the canes 1st line center with Necas and Staal backing him up. The canes will be pretty formidable with a forward core of Aho, Necas, Staal, Monahan, TT, Skinner(they should resign him) along with complimentary pieces like Gauthier, Zykov, and others. They have a defensive core of Slavin, Pesce, Faulk, Hanafin. Could always add to the forward core by trading one of Fleury/bean for a forward. Realistically the Canes are not dealing the pick, and the Flames are trying to win games now so they won't deal Monahan. I still think getting someone like Monahan to play number 1 center would work well for the Canes.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He probably does not need to be the driver. The canes will almost always be a defense and possession first team. They have a really well-built backend who will be driving a lot of chances and help to transition plays for the Canes forwards. Plus Monahan has proven to be an elite wingman for a line driving type of talent. A guy like Aho as a winger is able to generate great offense and will be able to play well with someone who has a great shot and ability to get himself open like Monahan. Monahan should be good for 65+ points as the canes 1st line center with Necas and Staal backing him up. The canes will be pretty formidable with a forward core of Aho, Necas, Staal, Monahan, TT, Skinner(they should resign him) along with complimentary pieces like Gauthier, Zykov, and others. They have a defensive core of Slavin, Pesce, Faulk, Hanafin. Could always add to the forward core by trading one of Fleury/bean for a forward. Realistically the Canes are not dealing the pick, and the Flames are trying to win games now so they won't deal Monahan. I still think getting someone like Monahan to play number 1 center would work well for the Canes.

So I can't figure out why they should do this trade.

They don't have to be always defense 1st. They have a shot at a line driver, someone who by style should be a fantastic fit with Aho and be cost controlled for years.
I also believe selecting Svec would give a boost to Carolinas market, he's exciting, he's someone you sell.
Don't think Monahan brings that excitement.

They have a shot at being elite defensive team with Aho& Svec killing it at F.

Reactions: DaveG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->