Boston Bruins ‘22-‘23 Bruins roster and trade proposals discussions. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
This tells me they are just throwing darts because it doesn’t check out from a practicality standpoint.

The Bruins are already spending nearly $29 million in cap on their defense. There is simply no way they are looking to allocate even more of this sparse cap space to yet another top end defender going forward. You could make the argument that they could subtract a salary and replace it with a new body, but why would they do that right now? With the team playing the way it is.

The Bruins are also extremely tight lipped on these things. So it’s not coming from them. Someone else may be leaking this info out, but it doesn’t make any sense.

As I mentioned above, these are assumptions/educated guesses. I doubt there is any real validity to it. They’ve got a job to do which is to “report” these things.

I believe they had interest in Chychrun at one point, but that likely ended when they acquired Lindholm.

They need complimentary depth.
Chychurn has a great contract too. Who knows. The only problem is chychurn will cost the most.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Zetterberg was found at #210. Guess we should never trade away 7th rounders either
Many general managers shy away from trading 1st rounders due to the fact a high percentage of them become NHL players . After the 2nd round pick it becomes a dart board and many dont. I hate trading 1st rounders unless you are getting a prime relatively young player with term. Players like toews I'm not interested if a 1st round pick is attached and I have a feeling that's the ask from the hawks if so no thanks gonzo.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Chychurn has a great contract too. Who knows. The only problem is chychurn will cost the most.
Absolutely he will but you can't make a strong argument against that for this season and next (assuming #37 returns) he doesn't give them the best return on Carlo, Lysell and '23#1. Chychrun can play RD also
and its where I would play him. For his contract at least thru 2023-24 provides incredible value. I don't see Sweeney taking the risk but
I'm tempted if that was enough.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Absolutely he will but you can't make a strong argument against that for this season and next (assuming #37 returns) he doesn't give them the best return on Carlo, Lysell and '23#1. Chychrun can play RD also
and its where I would play him. For his contract at least thru 2023-24 provides incredible value. I don't see Sweeney taking the risk but
Carlo isn’t gonna be a part of any trade packages at this deadline, how is that not clear at this point.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Carlo isn’t being traded. It would be lysell the first. Another prospect. Maybe more draft picks even. I doubt they want any players that will make them better. I’m almost positive they are trying to lose.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Sorry it's not all about points. Besides isn't 41st about where a low end second liner should sit. Also, even a two-bit operation like Arizona would have given some thought to keeping him if he wowed them. Vancouver may want to buy him out.....that does not happen unless there is a major problem.
The problem is his contract. With some money retained and in the right deal he'd be a real good add.

Since joining the Vancouver he's 29th in pts for RW.

He's 23rd over the 4 years he's been a full time player (right between Eberle and Kessel).

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Carlo isn’t gonna be a part of any trade packages at this deadline, how is that not clear at this point.

Carlo isn’t being traded. It would be lysell the first. Another prospect. Maybe more draft picks even. I doubt they want any players that will make them better. I’m almost positive they are trying to lose.
Chychrun is better than Carlo and they can keep Lysell in the minors.
So they wouldn't be better anyway.

Sweeney won't do it because of team chemistry.

Hockey wise Boston gets better this year and next.

• Haha
Reactions: bruinsfan1968

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

I would love to see Pageau on the bruins...if Don is in fact looking for a player with term Pageau would be a good one.

JG Pageau may now be the odd man out up front as Elliotte Friedman states there is no more room for him with the Islanders anymore and suggests interest from the Hurricanes. Carolina is in search of a solid centerman or top-six player and they have lots of cap space to work with due to Max Pacioretty missing the rest of the season

Last edited:
Reactions: veganbruin

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
Jake McCabe isn't a everyday player on the Bruins.

And I can't see how a Jake McCabe coming in and learning the Bruins system would be more effective than the LD they already have in Gryz and Forbort.

No disrespect. I'd say the exact same thing about Luke Schenn and the right-side of the D. People keep clamoring for him but I don't see a late-season acquisition of a Luke Schenn as an upgrade to the everyday group they currently have.
Maybe Reilly and Zboril for McCabe? replaces the versatility of Zboril and the money evens out? gives them an option on the right side as well. If they are looking to splash for a center in the offseason (whether that's Larking, Horvat, or someone else) they will need to trade both Coyle/Gryz in the offseason. is it part of future planning to go after a versatile player who fits both sides? money in money out situation? who knows, depth wise this season though again RD is missing another NHL quality guy.

Reactions: bbfan419

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

I would love to see Pageau on the bruins...if Don is in fact looking for a player with term Pageau would be a good one.

JG Pageau may now be the odd man out up front as Elliotte Friedman states there is no more room for him with the Islanders anymore and suggests interest from the Hurricanes. Carolina is in search of a solid centerman or top-six player and they have lots of cap space to work with due to Max Pacioretty missing the rest of the season

$5 million a year for 3 more years gives me pause. Production wise he's a fringe 20/20 guy, but he's strong in the dot, throws the body and good defensively. I just don't know if tying up $5 million of our cap for JGP make sense considering how tight we are this year and next.

Reactions: Blowfish

RatKing

Jan 26, 2023
Two guys I would love to see on this team. Really like what they bring and both are needs and come with very friendly cap hits. Curious on why U wouldn't want either ?

I feel like the cost will be too much for what they are, I could be wrong but reading other boards the ask is gonna be high. Just not sure the juice is worth the squeeze. Hopefully I am wrong about the asking price though. Because both are certainly upgrades just at what cost. Also Barbashev is running a 39% clip at the dot, with possession being so crucial in the playoffs I want guys that are good on draws. Toews or Acciari, and depending on the cost of Gavrikov I’d rather Chychuryn, he moves the needle more, if you can get Gavrikov for cheaper I think that’s the move but I want them to go all in, not half in.

Last edited:
Reactions: TCB

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston
Luke Schenn is bad at hockey

How can you look at the biggest defensive dumpster fire in the league and say, hey I want that guy!

Focus should either be a top end guy like Chychrun (if he’s affordable), a center who can keep Pasta happy, or some level of depth forward to get Greer as a 13th forward

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Many general managers shy away from trading 1st rounders due to the fact a high percentage of them become NHL players . After the 2nd round pick it becomes a dart board and many dont. I hate trading 1st rounders unless you are getting a prime relatively young player with term. Players like toews I'm not interested if a 1st round pick is attached and I have a feeling that's the ask from the hawks if so no thanks gonzo.

There's a 50% chance that the player picked in the late first even plays 100 NHL games over their career. 35% chance if they are an early 2nd. That's not chance of being an impact player, that's just playing in at least 100 games total before they retire.

If that first gives you a 100% chance at an impact player who could help put your team over the top when they are having a historic season like that you take it.

Period.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Maybe Reilly and Zboril for McCabe? replaces the versatility of Zboril and the money evens out? gives them an option on the right side as well. If they are looking to splash for a center in the offseason (whether that's Larking, Horvat, or someone else) they will need to trade both Coyle/Gryz in the offseason. is it part of future planning to go after a versatile player who fits both sides? money in money out situation? who knows, depth wise this season though again RD is missing another NHL quality guy.

That extra year for McCabe (signed to 2025) is troublesome here. Not worth it when there are UFAs who can be brought in for short-term rentals.

I'm perplexed as to what to do with the depth of the D. I strongly believe the short window to adjust to the Bruins system hurts any D-man acquisition, and it's magnified by depth D as it will be challenging to get them ice before the playoffs start to adjust. Just look at Zboril who is effectively the 7th D-man now and has been sitting for months.

That being said, Zboril further muddies the waters as he has no playoff experience and I'd be reluctant to throw him in there if the playoffs started today. He's just been sitting too long.

Reilly if not for his cap hit I'd gladly keep around as depth D and the extra left-shot D. But they may need his cap money to do other things.

I'm OK with Stralman as the extra right-shot defender. They also have NHL experienced Connor Carrick behind him as well.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
$5 million a year for 3 more years gives me pause. Production wise he's a fringe 20/20 guy, but he's strong in the dot, throws the body and good defensively. I just don't know if tying up $5 million of our cap for JGP make sense considering how tight we are this year and next.
The idea of him going to the Hurricanes is not a delightful one for the Bruins.

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
a Bruin killer on a team that kills the bruins isn't Ideal, its f***ing Vanek on the Habs in 2014 all over again

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
He fits the need for center and dude works his arse off. Not to mention awesome on PK. Averages 54% at the dot.

$5 is actually really good.

That extra year for McCabe (signed to 2025) is troublesome here. Not worth it when there are UFAs who can be brought in for short-term rentals.

I'm perplexed as to what to do with the depth of the D. I strongly believe the short window to adjust to the Bruins system hurts any D-man acquisition, and it's magnified by depth D as it will be challenging to get them ice before the playoffs start to adjust. Just look at Zboril who is effectively the 7th D-man now and has been sitting for months.

That being said, Zboril further muddies the waters as he has no playoff experience and I'd be reluctant to throw him in there if the playoffs started today. He's just been sitting too long.

Reilly if not for his cap hit I'd gladly keep around as depth D and the extra left-shot D. But they may need his cap money to do other things.

I'm OK with Stralman as the extra right-shot defender. They also have NHL experienced Connor Carrick behind him as well.
Forgot about RH Stralman.

I'm not concerned so much about a dman .. I'm more concerned with speed / goals from the forwards.

The idea of him going to the Hurricanes is not a delightful one for the Bruins.
Yes totally agreed. No way bruins get past Hurricanes with Pageau on Canes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad