Boston Bruins ‘22-‘23 Bruins roster and trade proposals discussions. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
Difficult spot as we pass the midway part of the season. Do you really want to tweak a team that currently is operating at a level that puts them in the discussion for the greatest NHL team of all time? Tough decisions for Sweeney and co in the coming weeks.

That being said, I certainly think they could add some depth to the Baby B's down in Providence. Some journeymen that can be added in case we need that depth in the playoffs. Juolevi, Del Zotto, and Frk for example. These are the type of guys you can add as a depth player that can step on the NHL ice if 2-3 guys are down with injury. They take up $0 in cap space, and can report to directly to Providence. I'm not saying these guys specifically, but these types of journeyman players (like a Chris Wagner) that could be helpful if we run into injuries during the playoffs.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
Add Bonino as a 4C, bring in a Tinordi or Brown level 7D (maybe Schenn?) and consider adding a top 9 scorer if one can be had at a reasonable price.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Thinking some here setting their TDL expectations too high. I don’t see a Horvat coming here in a trade, for many reasons.

On another note, Horvat & Schenn getting borderline extremely overrated here.

Horvat having a career year (unsustainable shooting %) but he’s been most seasons a 50ish point center. Good but not “Lysell + Lohrei + 1st” and an 8m+ contract this summer.

Was Schenn even a regular in the Tampa lineup during their Cup year? I recall him being brought in as an extra. I could be wrong. Good player as your 4th right side D but I don’t see him as a major need especially at the rumored cost of a 2nd round pick.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Thinking some here setting their TDL expectations too high. I don’t see a Horvat coming here in a trade, for many reasons.

Horvat having a career year (unsustainable shooting %) but he’s been most seasons a 50ish point center. Good but not “Lysell + Lohrei + 1st” and an 8m+ contract this summer.

Was Schenn even a regular in the Tampa lineup during their Cup year? I recall him being brought in as an extra. I could be wrong. Good player as your 4th right side D but I don’t see him as a major need especially at the rumored cost of a 2nd round pick.
Schenn played less than 10 minutes a night in about half the Lightning's playoff games. They didn't see or use him as a regular.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

Everyone should read this Horvat article...overrated I say no way.

It shouldn’t be surprising, then, to hear that he overhauled his equipment over the summer. Thomas Drance of the Athletic recently wrote a story detailing how Horvat’s decision to use a lower flex on his stick has made his shot more unpredictable and has given it more “zip.” This is noticeable in goals like the one below, which is eerily similar to the one shown in the previous section.

Outside of his snapshot, Horvat has also added a new weapon to his arsenal: tips. Just take a look at the types of goals he’s scored this season:
Tips10
Snapshot4
Power play bumper3
One-timer3
Rebounds3
Empty net2
Deflections2
Wrist shot1
Backhander1
Tap-in1
In fact, Horvat leads the league in tip-in goals (fun fact: the player in second is Andrei Kuzmenko!), a skill that was rarely seen from him in the past. Many of the league’s best tip artists score at the net front, but Horvat has actually potted most of his goals further away from the crease and in the middle of the offensive zone.

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
I usually am in the mindset of never buy a player whose out an outlier shooting percentage but he’s not a big point center, he is however a 30 goal scorer (31 last year and a year with 27, multiple 20+ goal years in shortened seasons. I understand that we’ve been spoiled by Bergy and Krejci making 7 or less for ever but a 28 year old 30 goal center for 8 a year, YES

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Everyone should read this Horvat article...overrated I say no way.

It shouldn’t be surprising, then, to hear that he overhauled his equipment over the summer. Thomas Drance of the Athletic recently wrote a story detailing how Horvat’s decision to use a lower flex on his stick has made his shot more unpredictable and has given it more “zip.” This is noticeable in goals like the one below, which is eerily similar to the one shown in the previous section.

Outside of his snapshot, Horvat has also added a new weapon to his arsenal: tips. Just take a look at the types of goals he’s scored this season:
Tips10
Snapshot4
Power play bumper3
One-timer3
Rebounds3
Empty net2
Deflections2
Wrist shot1
Backhander1
Tap-in1
In fact, Horvat leads the league in tip-in goals (fun fact: the player in second is Andrei Kuzmenko!), a skill that was rarely seen from him in the past. Many of the league’s best tip artists score at the net front, but Horvat has actually potted most of his goals further away from the crease and in the middle of the offensive zone.
It doesn’t matter to me how he scores his goals.

He’ll be 28 years old entering the playoffs. His career average is 26G 28A (54 points). His shooting % this season is 22.2% , his career shooting percentage is 14%.

You can believe it’s his new equipment, maybe it is? I choose to believe this is a classic case of career season in a contract year. Many more examples of this as opposed to a 28yr old player suddenly exploding and continuing that play. Look right there in Vancouver with JT Miller.

I’m not knocking Horvat, I just feel he’s a 50ish point center who is having a career season and is going to get PAID this summer & some team might regret it.

Reactions: BruinDust

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Derek Brassard might be a good get for depth. He’s not flashy but he can play both wings, has a ton of experience and would be cheap, both financially and in regard to assets spent to get him.

I’m not saying he’s the difference between winning a cup or not, but he‘s a responsible player who won’t hurt you.

Reactions: Gordoff

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Add Bonino as a 4C, bring in a Tinordi or Brown level 7D (maybe Schenn?) and consider adding a top 9 scorer if one can be had at a reasonable price.

Where does this top 9 scorer play on this team? I guess maybe if you saying insurance, but these guys are generally expensive both in cap and talent to acquire, and there is no Need, unless an injury happens

In terms of Schenn, I guess he is RHD depth, and maybe they could use one. But where does he fit? Could you get away with a Schenn/Forbert pairing? I guess no pucks are getting to the net, but on the other hand would the Bruins ever clear the zone.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
It doesn’t matter to me how he scores his goals.

He’ll be 28 years old entering the playoffs. His career average is 26G 28A (54 points). His shooting % this season is 22.2% , his career shooting percentage is 14%.

You can believe it’s his new equipment, maybe it is? I choose to believe this is a classic case of career season in a contract year. Many more examples of this as opposed to a 28yr old player suddenly exploding and continuing that play. Look right there in Vancouver with JT Miller.

I’m not knocking Horvat, I just feel he’s a 50ish point center who is having a career season and is going to get PAID this summer & some team might regret it.
The guy has been consistently good and getting better in his prime. Read the article. He's a perfect replacement and certainly isn't overrated.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Where does this top 9 scorer play on this team? I guess maybe if you saying insurance, but these guys are generally expensive both in cap and talent to acquire, and there is no Need, unless an injury happens

In terms of Schenn, I guess he is RHD depth, and maybe they could use one. But where does he fit? Could you get away with a Schenn/Forbert pairing? I guess no pucks are getting to the net, but on the other hand would the Bruins ever clear the zone.
Could you get away with a Schenn/Forbort pairing?

No, the answer is no. That would be terrible.

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
Someone is going to force there way here for this run. How could anyone chasing a cup not want to be here? I'm not sure which one, but it will be impactful. Phone calls must be flying. It will likely sting a lot more than Hall, but will be worth it.

Reactions: Gordoff and TCB

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
What do we think Swayman's trade value would be to other teams?

Not nearly enough to let him go. for reasons that baffle me, goaltenders have the least trade value of any position in the sport. And other teams make look as Sway as being a product of Boston system. At best you are likely looking at value similar to a mid first round pick.

And honestly, no way I am trading Sway. Right now i think we are looking at a bit of a Rask/Thomas situation from 2010/11. Rask was the opening night starter, he got off to slow start. Thomas got to hot start, and took over starting job for year

I like having 2 goalies that right now I'd be 100% confident starting in a playoff game, and they have great personal and team chemistry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad