Boston Bruins ‘22-‘23 Bruins roster and trade proposals discussions. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Dom, is Buffalo a team the league should be leery of? Buffalo has the cap space and quality assets to drastically improve their team.

A bruin/sabre playoff round would be awesome for this fan...a 35 minute drive.

The blues are 4 points from a playoff birth.
The Blues have been killed by injuries and underperforming all year, 4 points out is a bit misleading IMO, they aren't good, and probably aren't sniffing the playoffs. They also have 3 teams in front of them.

I know Armstrong resisted the early trades in 2019 when they were underperforming, and it paid off, much to our disappointment, but this Blues team has a very poorly constructed roster, and really should sell off guys line ROR, Taresenko, some of the bottom 6.

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
Isn't that exactly what Reilly and Smith are?

I mean, why pay a premium to move them now during the season if they don't have a plan to use their cap space at the deadline?

Smith is off the books anyways after this year and Reilly should be cheaper to move this summer than now.

If all your adding is cheap depth guys for insurance just as well keep the insurance they do have (Smith, Reilly) if they have no plan to use the cap space created.
I kind of agree with you, but if you can get cheaper (and still good depth guys), and save some cap space to absorb the Bergeron and Krejci bonuses, that could be a worthwile thing to help next year’s cap, depending on what it costs. But I would rather use any cap space to help the team this year.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I was going to say this. Wouldn't it be amazing if Smith finds his game here over the next 5-6 games and ends up being the kind of 15g guy you'd go fetch anyway. Mind you can't take faceoffs.

Same could be true of Reilly Smith, Stralman, Zboril. That's 3 who could play #6 spot. Granted I would like 1 bigger man in the group (who can PK).

I don't really care about #29-32, really. But if there's no deal they def don't need to force one.
Gotta say, I think Smith has looked good the last few games.

What do you think Wally? Someone banged up a bit, or is someone not coming home from the trip?

Reactions: Gordoff

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I like the idea of moving a depth forward and depth defenseman to free up space to acquire a depth forward and depth defenseman.
I know it sounds funny, but it's more of move one of them, and we get 2 players back.

Reilly + Smith = 2 depth players making 6M

Reilly/Smith (whichever is here) + 1 depth defenseman + 1 depth defenseman = 3 players for the same price. More so just gives us NHL depth; and in Smith's case, maybe add a guy that fits this teams style of play more than he's been able to. He's struggling with something here, and almost every single depth player mentioned as a target seems to be a better option and use of his spot and cap.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
I still say Anaheim is our best trading partner to get something done.
They have the cap space, the players, the draft picks(including two of our own second rounders) and the trading history with us.
I’m sure they’d be willing to be a third wheel too, if the price was right for them.

Reactions: HustleB and Gordoff

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
The Blues have been killed by injuries and underperforming all year, 4 points out is a bit misleading IMO, they aren't good, and probably aren't sniffing the playoffs. They also have 3 teams in front of them.

I know Armstrong resisted the early trades in 2019 when they were underperforming, and it paid off, much to our disappointment, but this Blues team has a very poorly constructed roster, and really should sell off guys line ROR, Taresenko, some of the bottom 6.
I hope you're right...some interesting players on that team I would love to see on the bruins.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
If the Bruins add Accairi to it fines them solid depth at RW/C bottom 6 that allows Hall to jump into top 6 if someone out

One point last night after Ullmark save, Hertl was standing there and talking to McAvoy- all I could think was ‘you think Krejci comes back next year? I didn’t sign up for this’

Exactly how I see it and Accari is one of boys with ability to play wing and center and kill penalties

I’m shooting big - Toews but Accari logical
I'm okay with adding Acciari...he had one incredible year in Florida but since then meh...Hoping for something better.
IMO Bruins have Acciari's in spades.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Gotta say, I think Smith has looked good the last few games.

What do you think Wally? Someone banged up a bit, or is someone not coming home from the trip?

Not part of the current roster tho? Only for injury?

he’s insurance for the road. He’s on the roster. Cheap. And most important waiver exempt.

Nice pat on the back too for the kid. Get some nhl salary for a few days.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'm okay with adding Acciari...he had one incredible year in Florida but since then meh...Hoping for something better.
IMO Bruins have Acciari's in spades.
Back of hockey card doesn’t do him Justice

I don’t want him in a Fantasy League but real world I could do a presentation that would get me an A+, a standing ovation, and Missy Moore (hottest girl in class) asking me if I’d like to work together on the Matt Grzelcyk is good project

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Back of hockey card doesn’t do him Justice

I don’t want him in a Fantasy League but real world I could do a presentation that would get me an A+, a standing ovation, and Missy Moore (hottest girl in class) asking me if I’d like to work together on the Matt Grzelcyk is good project
:nod::naughty: Can we see a Missy Moore pic?

Reactions: Bodit9

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
depends, if you move them off the books by the end of the year for someone cheaper, you reduce the amount of bonus money you shift to next season

I kind of agree with you, but if you can get cheaper (and still good depth guys), and save some cap space to absorb the Bergeron and Krejci bonuses, that could be a worthwile thing to help next year’s cap, depending on what it costs. But I would rather use any cap space to help the team this year.

I've never thought about that angle but it's a really good point.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I've been told the issue with Toews is finding a 3rd team to retain cap space.

Buffalo won't help because they are a potential first round matchup with Boston and won't do them any favors.

Most of the other teams are fighting for the same thing the Hawks are: Connor Bedard and won't do them any favors.
Verbeek and the Ducks would be my bet on getting another team to retain some salary or hell just have the hawks retain it. It will be a lot easier with Toews gone to win the Bedard sweepstakes. They should be more than willing to deal him and Kane if their both willing to go, and retain on both players, get some picks and prospects for the future. Don't see why that would/Should slow down any potential deal

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Verbeek and the Ducks would be my bet on getting another team to retain some salary or hell just have the hawks retain it. It will be a lot easier with Toews gone to win the Bedard sweepstakes. They should be more than willing to deal him and Kane if their both willing to go, and retain on both players, get some picks and prospects for the future. Don't see why that would/Should slow down any potential deal
A third team can retain more money after the trading team retains. I am not sure of the limit to it. Dom or someone would have to clarify that.

Reactions: TCB

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Some teams, like the Bruins are going to have to involve a 3rd team. Chicago retains 50% and the other team retains 50%. That's how they get it to work cap wise.

Ducks are in the Bedard sweepstakes too. Why would they help Chicago get worse and better the Hawks chances?

I wonder what Lauko is thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad