Boston Bruins ‘22-‘23 Bruins roster and trade proposals discussions. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
At this point the only upgrade on the D is the #7 spot. The D is fantastic. No way do you remove a player who has been a regular on a team that has 5 losses.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
I've been told the issue with Toews is finding a 3rd team to retain cap space.

Buffalo won't help because they are a potential first round matchup with Boston and won't do them any favors.

Most of the other teams are fighting for the same thing the Hawks are: Connor Bedard and won't do them any favors.
I know you either can't say or don't know but if you had to wager a guess, where do you think Toewes prefers? Boston or Winnipeg? Best chance at cup vs home town solid playoff team?

Reactions: Gordoff

Gifu

Dec 17, 2021
Thoughts on Niko Mikkola from the Blues?

I am convinced all the depth we need could be solved with a phone call to St Louis
Good suggestion. Let's add Barbashev.
Mikkola + Barbashev as an addition to the team looks good - at least on paper.
However i have no idea what the Blues' plan is for these players.

EDIT: Except Barbashev seems to play mainly on the wing and he doesn't seem to be a very good option for the 4th center if he were to play C.. So forget it.

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Move one of Reilly or Smith

Add depth forward and depth defenseman.

If we can add a big name and make the money work without moving anyone that is currently considered part of the core, I say do it.

I'm not sure what else to realistically add except a couple insurance guys. Grabbing other teams top players to play on the bottom half of our roster would be fun, but not sure how realistic the big names are.

Isn't that exactly what Reilly and Smith are?

I mean, why pay a premium to move them now during the season if they don't have a plan to use their cap space at the deadline?

Smith is off the books anyways after this year and Reilly should be cheaper to move this summer than now.

If all your adding is cheap depth guys for insurance just as well keep the insurance they do have (Smith, Reilly) if they have no plan to use the cap space created.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden

Buffalo won't help because they are a potential first round matchup with Boston and won't do them any favors.

Most of the other teams are fighting for the same thing the Hawks are: Connor Bedard and won't do them any favors.
Makes perfect sense. Too bad because he is looking more and more like a need and a fit. Is there any other center but with term on the radar? Just asking yes or no, not to name names.

I mean, why pay a premium to move them now during the season if they don't have a plan to use their cap space at the deadline?

Smith is off the books anyways after this year and Reilly should be cheaper to move this summer than now.

If all your adding is cheap depth guys for insurance just as well keep the insurance they do have (Smith, Reilly) if they have no plan to use the cap space created.
Reilly is a poor depth guy. His softness and overhandling of the puck just do not fly when the rubber meets the road.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
There should be a rule where if you say you want to sign Horvat next year you have to show how you’re going to do it cap wise. Because it ain’t pretty.
Agreed . Even worse Timo Meier that I see bandied around every once in a while. If I understood correctly last night, due to contract structure his QO is $10M or something like that.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020

I was going to say this. Wouldn't it be amazing if Smith finds his game here over the next 5-6 games and ends up being the kind of 15g guy you'd go fetch anyway. Mind you can't take faceoffs.

Same could be true of Reilly Smith, Stralman, Zboril. That's 3 who could play #6 spot. Granted I would like 1 bigger man in the group (who can PK).

I don't really care about #29-32, really. But if there's no deal they def don't need to force one.

Reactions: Kegs and BruinDust

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

I agree. If there's a cap reason for moving Reilly and/or Smith I'm all for it, or if they're going "Big" and somehow getting a guy who will be an integral part of the team going forward, then fine.

Otherwise -- if Smith is your 13th forward and Reilly is you're 7/8 defenseman, you're probably in good shape.

Who is to say that whoever they bring in as a depth forward would be better than Smith?
Same for Reilly.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I agree. If there's a cap reason for moving Reilly and/or Smith I'm all for it, or if they're going "Big" and somehow getting a guy who will be an integral part of the team going forward, then fine.

Otherwise -- if Smith is your 13th forward and Reilly is you're 7/8 defenseman, you're probably in good shape.

Who is to say that whoever they bring in as a depth forward would be better than Smith?
Same for Reilly.
The issue is Smith has shown he’s really not a 4th line forward with the way we deploy them. He’s done better when he’s playing up. He’d be fine as a 13F for sure. But we’re in a luxury add position assuming no major injuries - when Tampa was in this position they added Goodrow and Coleman. Upgrading on Greer should be where they look.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
The issue is Smith has shown he’s really not a 4th line forward with the way we deploy them. He’s done better when he’s playing up. He’d be fine as a 13F for sure. But we’re in a luxury add position assuming no major injuries - when Tampa was in this position they added Goodrow and Coleman. Upgrading on Greer should be where they look.

Maybe, but my thinking is that 4th line is all about effort. I've never questioned Smith's effort and, even though goals have been few for him this year, he's more capable of scoring a goal than most 4th liners.

I'm not saying don't kick the tires and see what's out there --- but if 2 years ago you told me that the team will be so strong in 2022/23 that Craig Smith would be a 4th liner, I'd have thought you were crazy.

Last edited:

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire

depends, if you move them off the books by the end of the year for someone cheaper, you reduce the amount of bonus money you shift to next season

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020

I don't really know what a 4th line forward is anymore in the NHL. Across the league it looks different team to team. Our 3rd line can do to you in the playoffs what many 4th lines used to do (AND score). Our first line too, for that matter.

Reactions: NeelyDan

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I don't really know what a 4th line forward is anymore in the NHL. Across the league it looks different team to team. Our 3rd line can do to you in the playoffs what many 4th lines used to do (AND score). Our first line too, for that matter.
That’s fine, but we had a lot of ice time watching Smith on that line be ineffective. I think he’s the wrong answer for that line and that’s where the easiest and best place for adding an impact player is.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If the Bruins add Accairi to it fines them solid depth at RW/C bottom 6 that allows Hall to jump into top 6 if someone out

One point last night after Ullmark save, Hertl was standing there and talking to McAvoy- all I could think was ‘you think Krejci comes back next year? I didn’t sign up for this’

That’s fine, but we had a lot of ice time watching Smith on that line be ineffective. I think he’s the wrong answer for that line and that’s where the easiest and best place for adding an impact player is.
Exactly how I see it and Accari is one of boys with ability to play wing and center and kill penalties

I’m shooting big - Toews but Accari logical

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

Dom, is Buffalo a team the league should be leery of? Buffalo has the cap space and quality assets to drastically improve their team.

A bruin/sabre playoff round would be awesome for this fan...a 35 minute drive.

Good suggestion. Let's add Barbashev.
Mikkola + Barbashev as an addition to the team looks good - at least on paper.
However i have no idea what the Blues' plan is for these players.

EDIT: Except Barbashev seems to play mainly on the wing and he doesn't seem to be a very good option for the 4th center if he were to play C.. So forget it.
The blues are 4 points from a playoff birth.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Move one of Reilly or Smith

Add depth forward and depth defenseman.

If we can add a big name and make the money work without moving anyone that is currently considered part of the core, I say do it.

I'm not sure what else to realistically add except a couple insurance guys. Grabbing other teams top players to play on the bottom half of our roster would be fun, but not sure how realistic the big names are.
I like the idea of moving a depth forward and depth defenseman to free up space to acquire a depth forward and depth defenseman.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
It's a huge upgrade in playoffs though.Gavrikov logging 22 + mins per game and 6ft3 213 lbs.He is 27 yrs old to and only -3 on that team with those mins is amazing.Grizz 2 yrs older 17 mins nite at 5 ft 9 175 lbs .Yea give me Gavrikov over him if had to pick.That said the room matters to Bruins guys so can't see Bruins moving him..Leafs are gonna try get Gavrikov or Oilers if they can swing it.That cap creating issues for alot of teams.

I don't recall how he played because it was against the Bruins, but I checked out Gavrikov's playoff stats ( traditional and advanced ) and they aren't great. Looks like his team was bleeding chances against when he was out on the ice despite 60 percent offensive zone starts. Maybe a product of the team? I don't know, but I wouldn't call him an upgrade on the sole basis that he's bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad