Boston Bruins ‘22-‘23 Bruins roster and trade proposals discussions. IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
It’s funny to me that with all the talk about improving the defense, not a single person is suggesting to actually upgrade our worst performing defenseman.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
It’s funny to me that with all the talk about improving the defense, not a single person is suggesting to actually upgrade our worst performing defenseman.
If I remember correctly, you're not a Forbort fan because his advanced stats are underwhelming so I'm going to assume, without looking anything up, you're talking about him.

Again, without looking up whatever stats you're referring to, I'd upgrade Clifton of all the 6 dmen for the Bruins right now. Get some rugged dman who can kill penalties and be nasty in front of the net. Make players think twice about going in the corners as well.

I also am not on Team Love/Team Hate for Gryz. He has some great qualities and some not so great qualities. I think if we had another mean SOB on the backend, Gryz talk would go away.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
If I remember correctly, you're not a Forbort fan because his advanced stats are underwhelming so I'm going to assume, without looking anything up, you're talking about him.

Again, without looking up whatever stats you're referring to, I'd upgrade Clifton of all the 6 dmen for the Bruins right now. Get some rugged dman who can kill penalties and be nasty in front of the net. Make players think twice about going in the corners as well.

I also am not on Team Love/Team Hate for Gryz. He has some great qualities and some not so great qualities. I think if we had another mean SOB on the backend, Gryz talk would go away.
It’s not just advanced stats, though they’ve been dreadful since he came back. Even those who only want to use basic numbers can see he’s been struggling big time.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
You talking clifton or forbort because they have strikingly similar numbers and analytics and it’s even closer if you factor in the difference in zone starts.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Clifton leads this team in hits, can skate and move the puck. He has shown he can play top 4 and he makes 1 mil. He is well loved in the room ,why would we trade him? Our top 6 D is tops in the league.

Couldn't get to sleep last night after the Bs game due to adrenaline, so I watched some highlights from the 2011 playoff run. It was remarkable how many breakaways the Bs D gave up during those playoff series. Timmy saved the Bs ass series after series with highlight saves on breakaways. So many contributors on that Cup team, but Timmy was the main reason the Bs won the Cup, and deservedly got the Conn Smythe.

The point I'm getting to is that I believe the Bs D this season might technically be better on the whole than what they had in 2011. I might take some heat for saying that given how beloved and tough the 2011 D-men were, but the crew the Bs have now are pretty freaking great. Ullmark is putting up legendary numbers to back up the D. If that carries over into the playoffs then this D corps/goalie tandem will be tough to beat. Throw in the offensive fire power of the forwards, and wow!

Stats be damned, I like every one of the Bs d-men. What they have is working quite well and each player is bringing something to the table. If depth/upgrade can somehow be added by the deadline, then great. If the Bs go into the playoffs with what's currently on the roster then I'm more than fine with that as well.

8thRoundPick

Sep 19, 2007
Sudbury
As much as I'm a Forbort fan, I can see your point.

I see the Bruins doing so well, how can this not be the window where you add and mortgage some future assets? The Bruins have done so in seasons far more mediocre than this one. I hope they add a defender and possibly platoon Forbort / Clifton / New Guy. As we wind down the season I think it would be smart to give guys some maintenance days, so that extra guy will really come in handy. This would help in the case of injuries too (and let's not forget Zboril, if he isn't part of the outgoing package - another insurance policy).

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I am NOT a GM or have extensive hockey knowledge. But from where this fan sits, I am NOT touching any of my roster players unless absolutely necessary due to __________ (Won't say it out loud). The chemistry the team has right now is as good as it ever gets and I wouldn't want to mess with that.
Well said

As of today - nothing

Ask me Valentines Day

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I’m good with Rolen, Wagner, A Jones all getting in

But they are not in he top rung no argument needed guys

Harold Baines just irks me and all rate above him

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA

Potential Fits​

The line for Horvat will be long.

• Boston Bruins: The Bruins are lapping the league and have some serious Last Dance vibes this year. David Krejci has been great after his short hiatus in his native Czechia. But Krejci and Patrice Bergeron are both on the brink of retirement. Horvat is the perfect short and long-term option to boost Boston. He could help entice David Pastrnak to re-sign. The only problem is the Bruins are light on assets.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
I don't understand why anyone would want to mess with the current core. The only kind of sneaky trade given that he's not been here THAT long is Zacha (with Horvat coming back). but even still, why?

Why would the Bruins touch this lineup right now in a meaningful way? This is just video game trade ideas at this point.

I guess if you did something around Zacha/Smith/picks, maaaaaybe you could. I just don't think it's necessary.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
In order to fit Horvat in, you're dealing Coyle or Hall in the offseason. Marchy, Pasta, Debrusk aren't going anywhere. If Bergy and Krejci want to play another year, you know they're coming back here. So Horvat either becomes the 3C and Coyle is moved or Hall is moved and Horvat moves to LW in the top 6. I really just don't see a fit here. Short term or long term.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
What/who is your suggestion for upgrading Forbort? I think if you post something like this you should at least have something in mind yourself.

Stylistically he fills a role that few others on the roster currently do. You can give those minutes to guys like Lindholm/Carlo but I think you risk wearing them thin.

I would hope any plan to upgrade him either involves keeping him as a backup plan (unlikely given his salary) or getting a similar type of player (ie defensive dman able to handle hard minutes and defensive zone starts). IMO we have backup plans for our puck movers going down (Zboril/Reilly can fill in, Stralman to a point as well) but we already lack options that can PK and play heavy mintues without moving on/upgrading him.

Just my 2 cents, I know he's starting to fall back down to earth from his good start and I wouldn't be opposed to getting some insurance, just not sure who or what that looks like.

• Love
Reactions: Gordoff and bme44

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020
Sam Bennett as a 3rd liner, intense and grit, could be interesting with Coyle and Frederic... :o

Bennett Coyle Frederic

Reactions: bbfan419

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
What/who is your suggestion for upgrading Forbort? I think if you post something like this you should at least have something in mind yourself.

Stylistically he fills a role that few others on the roster currently do. You can give those minutes to guys like Lindholm/Carlo but I think you risk wearing them thin.

I would hope any plan to upgrade him either involves keeping him as a backup plan (unlikely given his salary) or getting a similar type of player (ie defensive dman able to handle hard minutes and defensive zone starts). IMO we have backup plans for our puck movers going down (Zboril/Reilly can fill in, Stralman to a point as well) but we already lack options that can PK and play heavy mintues without moving on/upgrading him.

Just my 2 cents, I know he's starting to fall back down to earth from his good start and I wouldn't be opposed to getting some insurance, just not sure who or what that looks like.
I’m not actually proposing replacing Forbort. My point is other posters are taking aim at Carlo, Clifton, and as always Grizz, when Forbort is performing worse than all of them. He’s also the least versatile - his only partner that even works some of the time is Clifton.

If it were me, at this point, I want someone to upgrade Zboril, who can PK, and is not Jared Tinordi. In fact, I’d like the player to be a competent NHLer at a minimum, unlike Tinordi. I spend my powder up front.

BamBamCam

Apr 12, 2011
Crowsnest Pass AB
Fun fact for all the Stats fans out there. Guess which defenseman is a + player in the regular season and a minus player in the playoffs.
MG.jpg

Matty Grzelcyk

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Fun fact for all the Stats fans out there. Guess which defenseman is a + player in the regular season and a minus player in the playoffs.
View attachment 632725

Matty Grzelcyk
Just a heads up that “stats fans” or whatever your invective is are pretty down on +\- as a measure of a player’s effectiveness. May want to think about reworking.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I’m not actually proposing replacing Forbort. My point is other posters are taking aim at Carlo, Clifton, and as always Grizz, when Forbort is performing worse than all of them. He’s also the least versatile - his only partner that even works some of the time is Clifton.

If it were me, at this point, I want someone to upgrade Zboril, who can PK, and is not Jared Tinordi. In fact, I’d like the player to be a competent NHLer at a minimum, unlike Tinordi. I spend my powder up front.
My bad for assuming you wanted to replace him, but I do agree with what you're getting it, obviously Gryz and Carlo
are targets on here far too often, while generally I don't see many suggesting moving Forbort, even though he'd likely take less assets to upgrade.

Reactions: MarchysNoseKnows
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad