Boston Bruins ‘22-‘23 Bruins roster and trade proposals discussions. IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
As of today you probably are looking at one add assuming status quo

We know Stralman is around, Reilly in AHL can add solid depth, and Zboril with team

That’s 9 D

Accari fits so many ways he’s basically a Bruins already

With no changes and getting DeBrusk back healthy this would be my add
Issue with him is that makes four righthanded centers, if that's where you're playing him. At 4RW? Sure. But they usually want a lefthanded center for the PK.

In my mind, the luxury, FU add is a high end 4C. Nosek does his job, but I'd rather go all out there than try to tinker with the top 9, now that Frederic is hitting his stride. Assuming no injuries, of course.

Reactions: LouJersey

BlackCrowes

Sep 10, 2014
Sunny Old Lyme
As of today you probably are looking at one add assuming status quo

We know Stralman is around, Reilly in AHL can add solid depth, and Zboril with team

That’s 9 D

Accari fits so many ways he’s basically a Bruins already

With no changes and getting DeBrusk back healthy this would be my add
I thought the same thing with Acciari. You’d assume he’d fit in that locker room seamlessly, and if what Dom has been saying is true (looking for an upgrade on line 4 to bump Greer to #13 F), he seems like a perfect fit…

Reactions: Gordoff

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Shouldn't dismiss plus/minus so easily. Used with context it's a good stat.

I mean who here doesn't brag about the team's goal differential? It's basically a plus/minus that includes special teams.

I think it's a good barometer for when the sample size gets larger ( half season, full season, career ).

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Shouldn't dismiss plus/minus so easily. Used with context it's a good stat.

I mean who here doesn't brag about the team's goal differential? It's basically a plus/minus that includes special teams.
A team stat is much different than individual one though. Plus minus is very influenced by the team around you, and incredibly goaltending dependent. Look at last year’s Rangers as an extreme example.

Derek Forbort is a +8. Colton Parayko is a -12. We know why that’s so extreme - and that’s what makes it a poor metric for evaluating individual play.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
A team stat is much different than individual one though. Plus minus is very influenced by the team around you, and incredibly goaltending dependent. Look at last year’s Rangers as an extreme example.

Derek Forbort is a +8. Colton Parayko is a -12. We know why that’s so extreme - and that’s what makes it a poor metric for evaluating individual play.

Plus/Minus is not designed for comparison across different teams, rather within a team.

Monty really doesn't care what Forbort's +/- is compared to Parayko, but he is concerned with a comparison to Grzelyck.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Plus/Minus is not designed for comparison across different teams, rather within a team.

Monty really doesn't care what Forbort's +/- is compared to Parayko, but he is concerned with a comparison to Grzelyck.
But even within a team, you have deployment differences, playing time differences, etc. If your backup goalie sucks (not us obviously) and 70% of a player's minus is games the backup plays, that isn't captured.

It's an analytic, it's there, it's spread widely. But it's not a good metric for player evaluation, either inter- or intra-team.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
But even within a team, you have deployment differences, playing time differences, etc. If your backup goalie sucks (not us obviously) and 70% of a player's minus is games the backup plays, that isn't captured.

It's an analytic, it's there, it's spread widely. But it's not a good metric for player evaluation, either inter- or intra-team.
I like +/- as a stat. I don't think it's worth the paper it's written on 15-20 games into the season but as the year goes on, its quite indicative to not only the player but the entire line/pairing.

My move is Toewes for a few reasons.

1. Left shot Center
2. Can move up 1C, 2C, 3C baring any major injuries to Bergy-Krejci-Coyle.
3. Guy is a winner
4. Can kill penalties and play shutdown minutes
5. Line 4 would be way more dangerous offensively with a combination of Foligno-Toewes-XXXX

To be clear, I'd only do this deal if the price was right.
Nosek + Reilly + 1st for Toewes (50% retained)

That sheds us of Reilly's contract in 2023, a first is tough to swallow but its Toewes we're getting plus ridding ourselves of Reilly. I think That's a win/win

Reactions: TCB

Matt8871

Jan 10, 2022

Horrible take, and by horrible i mean correct and the most sane take on this board

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
I see places to improve are bottom six depth and bottom pair D flexibility. What a place to be!

Does Noel Acciari play wing? He can play short handed and would be an upgrade over Greer, possibly Smith.

Forbort and Carlo are taking a huge load on shorthanded ice time. Given history with injuries we may want to shore that area up.
The next 2 in line in SHOTOI are Lindholm and McAvoy. No real issue there but I'd rather Lindolm and McAvoy using there skills at 5v5 or PP.
Could Clifton take some SHTOI load in case of an injury? He's playing about 1 min per game now.

Gudas could fit that mold, but not sure he'd be fine sharing time with Forbort/Clifton/Gryz. Also not even sure he's an upgrade over Clifton.

Vladislav Gavrikov is a guy I don't see on any lists. Maybe because Columbus probably wants to re-sign him?
He's playing some huge minutes for Columbus, but is a UFA and maybe he could come cheaper than some of the other big names (Chychrun). But we'd have the best D in the league after as he could play anywhere on the left side in any situation.

Last edited:

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
I see places to improve are bottom six depth and bottom pair D flexibility. What a place to be!

Does Noel Acciari play wing? He can play short handed and would be an upgrade over Greer, possibly Smith.

Forbort and Carlo are taking a huge load on shorthanded ice time. Given history with injuries we may want to shore that area up.
The next 2 in line in SHOTOI are Lindholm and McAvoy. No real issue there but I'd rather Lindolm and McAvoy using there skills at 5v5 or PP.
Could Clifton take some SHTOI load in case of an injury? He's playing about 1 min per game now

Gudas could fit that mold, but not sure he'd be fine sharing time with Forbort/Clifton/Gryz. Also not even sure he's an upgrade over Clifton.
I so agree with the Bold part think another D-man to handle some of the PK would be nice to have . Really do not want 27 and 73 having to spend extra time in this role.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff and Bmessy

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I so agree with the Bold part think another D-man to handle some of the PK would be nice to have . Really do not want 27 and 73 having to spend extra time in this role
Defensemen in the top 50 for % of short handed TOI they spend on their team includes Toews, Makar, Pietrangelo, Sergachev, Nurse, Slavin, Brodin, and Ekblad.

Lindholm is 90th and McAvoy is 92nd. Carlo is 28th and Forbort is 32nd.

I think we’re in a good place here.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
oook I have one, a realistic one

Vlad Gavrikov (Columbus), D, shoots Left
6'3 227 lbs
Top 4 pedigree
Currently 4th in the NHL in PK time on ice at his position
UFA, 2.8M

Don't think he's ever going to light the world on fire with hits, in that sense he's closer to Carlo. But I think it'll be someone you could fit at the deadline hopefully. Think a good prospect and a 3rd probably gets him?

If you want to shore up the PK, get bigger, do it cheaply, that's a guy

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Issue with him is that makes four righthanded centers, if that's where you're playing him. At 4RW? Sure. But they usually want a lefthanded center for the PK.

In my mind, the luxury, FU add is a high end 4C. Nosek does his job, but I'd rather go all out there than try to tinker with the top 9, now that Frederic is hitting his stride. Assuming no injuries, of course.
Pretty much has to be a UFA though

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
Defensemen in the top 50 for % of short handed TOI they spend on their team includes Toews, Makar, Pietrangelo, Sergachev, Nurse, Slavin, Brodin, and Ekblad.

Lindholm is 90th and McAvoy is 92nd. Carlo is 28th and Forbort is 32nd.

I think we’re in a good place here.
I hope you are right , however the playoffs is a lot heavier game than the regular season. I still would prefer to be able to limit the time 27 and 73 have to spend killing Penalties and be able to use them more in an offensive role. Having to play in your own zone and having to spend more time blocking shoots . Is something you want to limit for your two stud D

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I hope you are right , however the playoffs is a lot heavier game than the regular season. I still would prefer to be able to limit the time 27 and 73 have to spend killing Penalties and be able to use them more in an offensive role. Having to play in your own zone and having to spend more time blocking shoots . Is something you want to limit for your two stud D
On the flip side, having those two as your second PK unit is a huge advantage in the playoffs. It’s not like Hedman/Makar/slavin etc don’t play PK in the playoffs

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
On the flip side, having those two as your second PK unit is a huge advantage in the playoffs. It’s not like Hedman/Makar/slavin etc don’t play PK in the playoffs
I agree 100%. The second unit PK is much better than as your primary. My concern is if either Carlo or Forbort get injured one of them becomes a primary penalty killer. It would be nice to have a third D that could take on this role,saving 27 and 73 .

Not saying I know the solution. I am not confident 67 is capable of filling that void.

Last edited:

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I agree 100%. The second unit PK is much better than as your primary. My concern is if either Carlo or Forbort get injured one of them becomes a primary penalty killer. It would be nice to have a third D that could take on this role,saving 27 and 73 .

I think you are going to see less injuries for the D this season/playoffs. Monty's gaps aren't as suicidal as Cassidy's, so they have time to play the puck. Cassidy wanted the gaps so small, as soon as they turned into the corner the forwards were right on them and they had no time to avoid the hit.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Seems players and coaches talk about it quite a bit for it being a poor metric.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad