Boston Bruins ‘22-‘23 Bruins roster and trade proposals discussions. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruinmann77

Feb 27, 2002
bronx ny
Visit site
Its going to be fun to see what DS can do when it comes to trades . I think he will finally be able to move Reilly and or Smith without having to give up another 1 rounder even though at this point it looks to be a late rounder.

Reactions: bbfan419

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I’ve been Frederic’s only supporter for years, and I agree he‘s been very good overall. I’d like to keep him in the lineup, but Frederic is a possession guy and a passer and both Hall and Coyle already bring that. And as goof as Frederic-Coyle has been, Hall-Frederic is on another level.

I disagree Smith is cooked. I don’t think they sit him because he can’t play, I think they sit him because his style (shot volume) isn’t a great fit for Monty’s quality over quantity approach, and because they want to see what the younger guys (Frederic, Zacha, Greer...) could do.
I'm not sure I agree with the characterization of Frederic as a "possession guy" especially since he hasn't been particularly productive playing that style so far in his career. I think there's a good chance if you let him run around, forecheck and crash the net while the other 2 guys get most of the puck touches then that might turn out to be the best use of Frederic to date.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I’ve been Frederic’s only supporter for years, and I agree he‘s been very good overall. I’d like to keep him in the lineup, but Frederic is a possession guy and a passer and both Hall and Coyle already bring that. And as goof as Frederic-Coyle has been, Hall-Frederic is on another level.

I disagree Smith is cooked. I don’t think they sit him because he can’t play, I think they sit him because his style (shot volume) isn’t a great fit for Monty’s quality over quantity approach, and because they want to see what the younger guys (Frederic, Zacha, Greer...) could do.
You aren’t and weren’t alone on Frederic

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
This thread explains why the way the salary cap is structured is stupid, cumbersome and intricate.

It does not need to be this difficult.

Now, I’m not the smartest guy in the world, but I can’t think of one reason why the cap needs to be computed daily.

There are much simpler and more fan friendly ways to have a cap.

Last edited:

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016

Not his only supporter!

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
If Hall is ever out can we put Foligno on line 3 so we can run a ALL Canadian line 1 All Chez line 2 and ALL USA line 3

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
If we can I def trade Reilly and Smith. Not only to get under the cap now, but to help with the Krejci and Bergeron bonuses. I am completely fine with Lauko going back in and then being our 13th forward subbing in. I think Stralman is decent as an extra dman but I won’t be upset if he gets claimed. I kind of feel the same about Zboril. Feels like he’s going to always leave us wanting more. If possible if we could pick up a big strong two way dman as the extra dman that would be preferred

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
5194FA6C-47C1-4436-9CE4-7563B9DCF8B5.jpeg

The Czechs and Hall have been getting it done at 5 on 5 this year

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

aguineapig

This thread explains why the way the salary cap is structured is stupid, cumbersome and intricate.

Now, I’m not the smart guy in the world, but I can’t think of one reason why the cap needs to be computed daily.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
guessing this is a joke?
Funny I was just about to post that there are three groups in here when it comes to cap issues.
1. Folks that try to figure it out to the dollar and the day
2. Folks who cant figure it out and assume it's all f***ed up
3. Folks who cant figure it out and assume the people being paid to do the job do the job

I have no idea about the details - from here it seems they're squeezing every penny out of the cap space that the league gives em and they're on top of the league in the standings.

FREDERIC82FAN

Adherent of JOHNNY V fanclub
Oct 9, 2017
Hey

Hey PlayMakers, I have supported Frederic since he wore #82

Reactions: PlayMakers

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

Now, I’m not the smartest guy in the world, but I can’t think of one reason why the cap needs to be computed daily.

If you don't calculate it daily, how do you account for call ups called up for a couple of games here and there through the season?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

When it's simple, teams find ways to exploit it. Adjustments are made to seal the cracks. Making it more and more complicated.

And why should the cap be "fan friendly"?

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
If you don't calculate it daily, how do you account for call ups called up for a couple of games here and there through the season?

Personally, I'd look at doing it in annual way ---

I know it probably can't be as simple as I'm suggesting --- but it also doesn't need to be as difficult as it is now.

Take this from the perspective that we know nothing about a salary cap and don't compare this to the current rules.

I'd start here:

For easy number sake -- lets say the annual salary cap is $10 million. When you add up the annual salaries of players dressed for any given game, they cannot go above $10 million.

Nothing crazy here -- everyone has an annual salary --- take that number for each player, add them together and if it comes out to above $10 million, you can't use that lineup.

Let's say the Bruins go right to the cap and have their 23 players making $10 million.

If someone making $1 million gets hurt on November 1st and misses a game -- they can use a guy who is already with the team or call someone up from Providence who is making $1million or less to replace him.

If they decide to trade a guy making $4 million -- they can only take back $4 million or less.

Of course there can be some relatively simple exceptions/modifications.

For instance maybe you allow teams to be up to $1 million over the $10 million cap for a certain number of games, but they'd need to pay 1/2 of that money back the following season or something.

Or maybe there is an actual cap (say $12 million) and a "functional" or "game day" cap of $10 million to allow for quality players in reserve.

Again, I know it probably can't be this simple --- but it also does not need to be nearly as difficult as it is.

Reactions: Sturm und Drang

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
When it's simple, teams find ways to exploit it. Adjustments are made to seal the cracks. Making it more and more complicated.

And why should the cap be "fan friendly"?

Personally, as a fan, I like to be as knowledgeable as possible about the game that I enjoy watching and following.

When a simple question such as ----- how much cap space do the Bruins have? Can be met with 8 different answers -- some of course, entirely wrong/off base, but others (and not just the right answer) with some merit --- I think you tend to lose some of us.

Oh God, please not the NBA salary cap.

You know not what you ask for.

I think it can be as simple as you'd want it, to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad