Boston Bruins ‘22-‘23 Bruins roster and trade proposals discussions. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
So, the information I have was that the plan was to waive Craig Smith and the Bruins would be free and clear to activate Forbort.

However,

With Smith being injured, he can NOT be waived nor sent to Providence until cleared.

I trust this source implicitly
So would it be Smith waived and carry 19 skaters? They couldn’t afford to replace him. They’d carry 19 until they are able to move he or Reilly (assuming Smith clears of course) or some other move?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
so dom, has a time deadline passed in order to waive someone else and be able to activate Forbort by game time?
Yes. Has to be 2 PM New York Time.

Roster moves have to be done in the next 6 minutes - 5 PM New York time

So would it be Smith waived and carry 19 skaters? They couldn’t afford to replace him. They’d carry 19 until they are able to move he or Reilly (assuming Smith clears of course) or some other move?
I'm not sure. Only told the plan was to waive Smith but injury didn't allow that.

My understanding of the rule is they could if he agreed. But I don't know if he was approached or not.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
i don't see any other option aside from trading reilly between now and tomorrow at 5pm. unless forbort remains out
against bolts, then it's moot.

Reactions: bbfan419

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

There you have it folks. Puck Pedia has them needing to clear $640,000 more if Stralman clears or gets claimed.

Do yourselves a favor and just trust my numbers. Don't go trying to use armchair GM to find another path. There isn't one.

This is weird Dom -

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I’m confused what this means? What’s the mess and what does it lead to?
Don't know what it leads to, but if the plan was to not make a move and simply waive Craig Smith just to (just barely) get cap compliant with fewer roster players? And now they may not even be able to do that?

That's not a plan. That's fingertips hanging off the end of the cliff. And that's optimistic.

Even with Bergy and Krejci signing sweetheart deals, the Bruins have not handled the cap well at all this season.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Really seems like they need to just suck it up and attach a pick to Reilly.

Interesting to see if it’s Ottawa. They traded a pick to get him, now they are potentially adding a pick to get rid of him. It’s a hoot

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Really seems like they need to just suck it up and attach a pick to Reilly.

Interesting to see if it’s Ottawa. They traded a pick to get him, now they are potentially adding a pick to get rid of him. It’s a hoot
Unless the Bruins give up something good along with Reilly, I don't see it. The Sens will be in a tough spot capwise next season since they want to re-sign a majority of their UFAs and RFAs. If I'm Ottawa, Reilly doesn't move the needle enough to be down $3M in cap space going into the off-season.

Ottawa has also reportedly been looking for a defenseman weeks ago and have spoken to 10-15 teams. I don't see it likely that a deal will get done by tomorrow, but who knows?

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
Dumb question for anyone in the know but why not wait until Smith was healthy before worrying about activating Forbort, hence not risk losing Stralman to waivers?
I thought someone said they can’t choose when to activate a player if the doctor says he’s cleared he has to come off. So maybe they could get away with it for a day or two by not seeing the doctor I suppose but not sure they can even do that.

Reactions: HustleB

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
This is weird Dom -

If you can find out how much cap space the Bruins had when they placed McAvoy on LTIR... divide that by 137. Multiply that by 185. Take that answer and if it is equal to or greater then the amount I said they needed to clear, then they will be okay.

Assuming I didn't calculate the cap space they had at the start of the season.

Sorry @neelynugs I know you love numbers.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Disagree - Smith is cooked, and is now prone to dumb penalties on top of the zero finish.

Having a 3rd line of Freddy and Coyle as cycling/possession monsters setting up Taylor "MVP" Hall is a coach/GM's wet dream. Obviously Freddy is a work in progress but I think he's been very good overall.
I’ve been (one of) Frederic’s only supporter for years, and I agree he‘s been very good overall. I’d like to keep him in the lineup, but Frederic is a possession guy and a passer and both Hall and Coyle already bring that. And as good as Frederic-Coyle has been, Hall-Frederic is on another level.

I disagree Smith is cooked. I don’t think they sit him because he can’t play, I think they sit him because his style (shot volume) isn’t a great fit for Monty’s quality over quantity approach, and because they want to see what the younger guys (Frederic, Zacha, Greer...) could do.

Last edited:

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
My concern is Smith is his S% seems to get worse over the last 5-6 years:

View attachment 613920

This season has been rough for Smith with not getting regular playing time, but his S% is the 2nd lowest of his career. Add to that the drop in S/GP and it doesn't bode well for Smith. Maybe more regular minutes helps him get more S/GP and he could increase his S% too.

For reference, Frederic is sitting at 1.2 S/GP and a 14.3 S% on the season.

Yeah not a good trend, but I’d love to see what playing with Hall and Coyle would do to that percentage. It didn’t work that well last year but different matchups this year.

What I don’t like about Smith is his lack of production in the playoffs. He gets goals via shooting volume, not touch, and in the playoffs the volume isn’t always there.

Honestly, I’d like to see them give McLaughlin a shot as well. He’s not lighting up Providence but he did have a great camp, had chemistry with Coyle last year, and plays a similar game to Smith.

Last edited:

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
Dumb question for anyone in the know but why not wait until Smith was healthy before worrying about activating Forbort, hence not risk losing Stralman to waivers?
they cant wait to activate him if hes medically cleared, have to tell the league.

Unless your tampa of course, in which case go ahead let Kuch be a full participant in practice for 1.5 months until Game 1...

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
If you can find out how much cap space the Bruins had when they placed McAvoy on LTIR... divide that by 137. Multiply that by 185. Take that answer and if it is equal to or greater then the amount I said they needed to clear, then they will be okay.

Assuming I didn't calculate the cap space they had at the start of the season.

Sorry @neelynugs I know you love numbers.

I appreciate the effort some of you guys go through to try and decifer the cap for us.

This stuff is far above my mathematical skills as a truck driver lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad