Boston Bruins ‘22-‘23 Bruins roster and trade proposals discussions. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Funny I was just about to post that there are three groups in here when it comes to cap issues.
1. Folks that try to figure it out to the dollar and the day
2. Folks who cant figure it out and assume it's all f***ed up
3. Folks who cant figure it out and assume the people being paid to do the job do the job

I have no idea about the details - from here it seems they're squeezing every penny out of the cap space that the league gives em and they're on top of the league in the standings.

say what you will but about 4 teams have played with short benches this season while the bruins have managed to bring a full roster each night while in constant cap crunch.
So being able to ice a full team is looked at as a win? Ok, I guess. Their #1 and #2 centers had to play for peanuts this year because their cap situation was so bad, don't lose sight of that. Now, who's fault that is (obviously Neely, everything bad was his and only his doing) is up for debate I guess, although Gold is an asst GM so you would think he has had some say in who should be signed.

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
So being able to ice a full team is looked at as a win? Ok, I guess. Their #1 and #2 centers had to play for peanuts this year because their cap situation was so bad, don't lose sight of that. Now, who's fault that is (obviously Neely, everything bad was his and only his doing) is up for debate I guess, although Gold is an asst GM so you would think he has had some say in who should be signed.
Or they'd been having conversations about those being the numbers for a while, knew what they had to work with ahead of time and are going through avenues to try and maximize the roster and now are going through every avenue to Buy time till the market opens and a team needs a dman but cant hold the bruins balls to the fire as much.

Look im not a sweeny apologist, but Im also not a sweeny basher. its not storm clouds and sewage just as much as its not rainbows and strawberries; reality floats in the middle (a partly cloudy mid sixties day with a stiff breeze).

you choose to put piss in your coffee, I'll keep putting milk in mine.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Or they'd been having conversations about those being the numbers for a while, knew what they had to work with ahead of time and are going through avenues to try and maximize the roster and now are going through every avenue to Buy time till the market opens and a team needs a dman but cant hold the bruins balls to the fire as much.

Look im not a sweeny apologist, but Im also not a sweeny basher. its not storm clouds and sewage just as much as its not rainbows and strawberries; reality floats in the middle (a partly cloudy mid sixties day with a stiff breeze).

you choose to put piss in your coffee, I'll keep putting milk in mine.
Yeah that's it. I'm just not giving a participation trophy to a team that is able to ice a full team. They are doing all of this because of some of the bad contracts they handed out, that's all and it's fine but applauding the team for the cap situation they are in and the gymnastics required to stay compliant is a little much to me.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Yeah that's it. I'm just not giving a participation trophy to a team that is able to ice a full team. They are doing all of this because of some of the bad contracts they handed out, that's all and it's fine but applauding the team for the cap situation they are in and the gymnastics required to stay compliant is a little much to me.
I’m sure you hammered Yzerman and Brisebois for it in Tampa lol

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
It’s weird that Bergeron and Krejci who hated Sweens signed here

Pavelski got 5.5 M this year and he’s rated top 50 player whereas Bergeron 5 M & Krejci 3.5 M weren’t

Bruins will be paying them they just didn’t have flexibility financially to do it all at once

Had they not had say Foligno they could have paid them now but I’m sure both would rather have Foligno

Bergeron like Chara before him took discount but 5 M is solid

Krejci I had $3.5 M

I don’t consider either peanuts

No where does it say money in ‘Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness’

Our culture is so F’d up over money - kudos to athletes that can tell their agents who are in it for the money - they are choosing happiness

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I’m sure you hammered Yzerman and Brisebois for it in Tampa lol
No, I have never been an asterisk kind of guy trying to dimmish other team's championships, not their fault they are smarter than everyone else (although tampa was fortunate things got pushed back so hedman could play in 2020? but that's not what I'm talking about. I don't think you should applaud teams that are able to ice a full team is all, but have at it.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I'm not sure I agree with the characterization of Frederic as a "possession guy" especially since he hasn't been particularly productive playing that style so far in his career. I think there's a good chance if you let him run around, forecheck and crash the net while the other 2 guys get most of the puck touches then that might turn out to be the best use of Frederic to date.
”Run around...”

Everyone says they want to see Frederic run around but when was the last time he ran around hitting everyone? His rookie year?

Frederic hits when it’s there but he’s not this energetic Shawn Thornton type. That’s Greer’s game. Frederic wins board battles, he protects the puck and he makes plays, that’s the game we see every night. He’s also worked hard to become good at carrying the puck blue line to blue line and making nifty passes on the zone entry.

The other thing he does frequently for Coyle is rotate into the center’s role down low which frees Coyle up to carry more on breakouts.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
It’s weird that Bergeron and Krejci who hated Sweens signed here

Pavelski got 5.5 M this year and he’s rated top 50 player whereas Bergeron 5 M & Krejci 3.5 M weren’t

Bruins will be paying them they just didn’t have flexibility financially to do it all at once

Had they not had say Foligno they could have paid them now but I’m sure both would rather have Foligno

Bergeron like Chara before him took discount but 5 M is solid

Krejci I had $3.5 M

I don’t consider either peanuts

No where does it say money in ‘Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness’

Our culture is so F’d up over money - kudos to athletes that can tell their agents who are in it for the money - they are choosing happiness
I am glad they did as well but I thought they hated Cassidy haha. Pasta is the guy that hates "Sweens" for his Krug treatment, or so we are told.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Salary caps are artificial wage depression and should be abolished.
Hockey players of the major sports are and always have been the most underpaid athletes, the reason for the cap is billionaire greedy ignorant owners cannot control themselves and end signing players to ridiculous contracts that get organizations in financial trouble and need other owners to save them for the sake of the league . Then you have owners like Jacobs who wants the cap so he can make more money and not needing to worry about being called a cheap bastard ,he now can say he spends to the cap , nice little defense............

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Hockey players of the major sports are and always have been the most underpaid athletes, the reason for the cap is billionaire greedy ignorant owners cannot control themselves and end signing players to ridiculous contracts that get organizations in financial trouble and need other owners to save them for the sake of the league . Then you have owners like Jacobs who wants the cap so he can make more money and not needing to worry about being called a cheap bastard ,he now can say he spends to the cap , nice little defense............

Ya I have very little empathy for the "plight" of the owners, most of which own an asset appreciating significantly faster than any other investment, based on operating income. I hate salary caps, always have, and the NHL cap is the most inflexible one of all. If you insist on some kind of curb on spending for your fellow owners, make it like baseball's cap. Where if you decide to invest more in your team, your dollars don't go as far and you suffer penalties that can affect your long term competitiveness.

Either way, I'm glad the bruins are compliant, but I hate that because of the escrow and "paying back" of covid cap dollars, there are careers being jeopardized around the league. It's gross.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
You just need to look at the ratings.

NBA is about 20 mil average for the finals
MLB is 12 mil
NHL 4.5 mil

Not many people care about the NHL, still.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Personally, as a fan, I like to be as knowledgeable as possible about the game that I enjoy watching and following.

When a simple question such as ----- how much cap space do the Bruins have? Can be met with 8 different answers -- some of course, entirely wrong/off base, but others (and not just the right answer) with some merit --- I think you tend to lose some of us.

I think it can be as simple as you'd want it, to be honest.

Understandable.

I just don't see the ins and outs of the salary cap as being about the game. It's about finance.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

The reason for the cap, is there is not full revenue sharing, and without a cap there are the super wealthy teams who can largely spend other teams out of existence.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020

There you have it folks. Puck Pedia has them needing to clear $640,000 more if Stralman clears or gets claimed.

Do yourselves a favor and just trust my numbers. Don't go trying to use armchair GM to find another path. There isn't one.

So it....wasn't this? We cleared with Stralman?

I'd love to see the breakdown.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

Sturm und Drang

Aug 9, 2008
Personally, I'd look at doing it in annual way ---

I know it probably can't be as simple as I'm suggesting --- but it also doesn't need to be as difficult as it is now.

Take this from the perspective that we know nothing about a salary cap and don't compare this to the current rules.

I'd start here:

For easy number sake -- lets say the annual salary cap is $10 million. When you add up the annual salaries of players dressed for any given game, they cannot go above $10 million.

Nothing crazy here -- everyone has an annual salary --- take that number for each player, add them together and if it comes out to above $10 million, you can't use that lineup.

Let's say the Bruins go right to the cap and have their 23 players making $10 million.

If someone making $1 million gets hurt on November 1st and misses a game -- they can use a guy who is already with the team or call someone up from Providence who is making $1million or less to replace him.

If they decide to trade a guy making $4 million -- they can only take back $4 million or less.

Of course there can be some relatively simple exceptions/modifications.

For instance maybe you allow teams to be up to $1 million over the $10 million cap for a certain number of games, but they'd need to pay 1/2 of that money back the following season or something.

Or maybe there is an actual cap (say $12 million) and a "functional" or "game day" cap of $10 million to allow for quality players in reserve.

Again, I know it probably can't be this simple --- but it also does not need to be nearly as difficult as it is.
This is basically what I’ve been thinking. Just check that the sum of the average annual value of all contracts on the roster is below the cap for each game. Players on IR wouldn’t count against the cap. No banking space and no need for paper transactions between games. I’d still keep the waiver system so rich teams couldn’t easily circumvent the cap by stashing a bunch of well-paid veterans in the AHL.

Reactions: sarge88

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Count the cups.......
Covid only reason they got Cup to me

They couldn’t even have a parade

If I’m a Tampa fan I would take no covid over 2 Cups

Tampa gets Leafs round 1 without several players including Hedman, Stamkos, McDonagh etc

The Leafs would have destroyed them

Last edited:
Reactions: 13Hockey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad