Speculation: ‘20-21 Trade/Free Agency Thread Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaPred

May 2, 2021
Pretty much if you can get eichel reinhart barkov or whoever without trading zegs or drysdale you basically do it
I’m having a hard time seeing that being possible. You have to give up something to get someone and I don’t see Murray doing that.

405Entrance

Feb 8, 2020
I’m not sure we have enough for eichel without having to move drysdale or zegras. I doubt Sam would want to come here either we aren’t as bad as Buffalo but we still are rebuilding. We should go for middle of the road guys if we’re be real about it. It doesn’t hurt to offer though. If we manage to get eichel for cheap that’s a huge W for the ducks organization moving forward.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Since their names are floated around now and again as candidates for various reasons, as long as the medical comes back clean, this is the move you make if you want to trade Gibson or Lindholm. We'd still have to add, no doubt, and it would have to fit Buffalo's wants and needs, but I would much rather trade very good players (in Gibson's case, an elite player at an undervalued position on the trade market) for an elite player than trade them for futures or lesser pieces when we're likely not getting a true blue-chipper out of it.

Last edited:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Eric Stephens article, Top 5 priorities this off season... here was one of them...

Sign a scorer, trade for a scorer … just get a scorer

Financial flexibility finally arrives this summer after years in which the Ducks had little of it due to numerous bulging contracts that kept their top players in the fold. But the performances of those players faded as the years went on, leaving the team out in the cold when it came to adding a top player through trade or free agency.

But this is a long way from 2013-14, when that 54-win Ducks club led the NHL with 263 goals and a 3.21 average per game. Anaheim scored a league-low 124 times (2.21 average) in 2020-21. Only two players, Comtois and Henrique, reached double digits.

Demanding forwards to be responsible and effective players within their own zone is a noble goal and shouldn’t be diminished. But the Ducks are sorely lacking in players who can beat goalies from distance, pick corners or find rebounds before defenders get to them, and put those loose pucks behind scrambling netminders.

Does that mean they should throw money at a one-way sniper like Mike Hoffman? Not necessarily. But should they be talking to Buffalo and seeing what it would take to get Jack Eichel or Sam Reinhart? Yes and yes. Trying to rehabilitate former first-round pick Jake Virtanen won’t cut it.

Nor will solely leaning on more production from the kids. Others, beyond and including Comtois, need to increase their goal production. However, Murray has just $58 million committed to the roster next season. He has one year left of Kesler’s salary on long-term injured reserve. Corey Perry’s buyout number goes back down to $2 million. There are six RFAs but they’ll likely address all of them except for Heinen, and none should command more than a $1.5 million average annual value in their next deal.

But we also know Murray prefers the trade route, if possible. That would make more sense than throwing a ton of money at a UFA who will head into his 30s over the course of his contract. The 25-year-old Reinhart, who already has five seasons of 22 goals or more, is the kind of finisher the Ducks need and he shouldn’t cost as much as Eichel to acquire.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Sign Hoffman, Bunting, Rittich, and Coleman. Lose Steel in the expansion draft. Buyout Silfverberg and Henrique in 2022 (less than 2 million cap hit for 4 seasons for both). Trade Rakell and Manson for 2022 picks.

Hoffman-Zegras-Terry
Comtois-Getzlaf-Coleman
Jones-Lundestrom-Silfverberg
Bunting-Grant-Volkov
Henrique (first player in for injuries)

Lindholm-Drysdale
Fowler-Shattenkirk
Fleury-Benoit

Gibson
Rittich

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I’m having a hard time seeing that being possible. You have to give up something to get someone and I don’t see Murray doing that.
Well ya but I think our 1st this year is seen as a premium asset.

who knows what Sabres want but we can put together a pretty good package without zegs and drysdale. Lot of people think these guys will get 4 premium pieces when the reality is most get 1 premium piece and a bunch of other assets

Bob def going to try to find a way....

Reactions: DavidBL
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Sign Hoffman, Bunting, Rittich, and Coleman. Lose Steel in the expansion draft. Buyout Silfverberg and Henrique in 2022 (less than 2 million cap hit for 4 seasons for both). Trade Rakell and Manson for 2022 picks.

Hoffman-Zegras-Terry
Comtois-Getzlaf-Coleman
Bunting-Grant-Volkov

Lindholm-Drysdale
Fowler-Shattenkirk
Fleury-Benoit

Gibson
Rittich
We would be paying around 2 million to silf and henrique for six seasons each if bought out, not four.

Reactions: MMC and Getz2noone

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I hope we make moves that we could potentially offload at the tdl if we suck next year. Taylor hall was a sweet free pickup for Buffalo. I could see more players doing what th did know they have leverage to go wherever they want at the tdl.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017

Hoffman-Zegras-Terry
Comtois-Getzlaf-Coleman
Bunting-Grant-Volkov

Lindholm-Drysdale
Fowler-Shattenkirk
Fleury-Benoit

Gibson
Rittich

You have Stolarz as the #3 and the starter in San Diego, then?

Reactions: Getz2noone
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I wouldn't say that the Ducks are torpedoing their future, but I do think the Ducks would be jumping the gun if they were to trade for Eichel. If they were to trade their top picks, then the only way for them to fill out their top 6 is through free agency. The Ducks top 6 with Eichel would look something like:

Rakell-Eichel-Henrique?
Comtois-Zegras-Terry
Our next two first round picks aren't likely to be playing in the top 6 anytime soon, either. And, I don't know if people realize this, but we also pick players outside of the first round. A lot of them! Trading away our next two first rounders changes our trajectory by about zero, whereas adding a young legit 1C spikes it upwards significantly. This is a good thing.

And that looks like a pretty good top 6 to me.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Our next two first round picks aren't likely to be playing in the top 6 anytime soon, either. And, I don't know if people realize this, but we also pick players outside of the first round. A lot of them! Trading away our next two first rounders changes our trajectory by about zero, whereas adding a young legit 1C spikes it upwards significantly. This is a good thing.

You need to look at the top 5-10 prospects in the 2022 draft. Several of them will play in the NHL very quickly. I'd be very very very very careful about trading a 1st round pick next year.

LuckyDucky

Mar 18, 2015

And does the likelihood of prospects becoming top 6 forwards increase or decrease as you move into the later rounds?

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
There will be 5-10 players in that draft as good as Jack Eichel?

Certainly not. I was just generally responding to the notion that anyone picked in the next 2 years won't play in the NHL for several years.

As to Eichel, once again I don't know why Buffalo would trade him for futures when they need good young players TODAY. They are a franchise on the precipice of complete meltdown and player revolt. If I'm Buffalo I'd insist on either Zegras or Drysdale being part (emphasis on "part") of the package I'd demand. I just don't think the Ducks can give Buffalo what they'd want and need to part with Eichel.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Is that what he said?

No but "they will play in the NHL soon" is incredibly underwhelming compared to "franchise center Jack Eichel." Only Shane Wright is that potential calibre of player in that draft and the odds are very against getting him. There shouldn't be any hesitation to moving that when a top 10 arguable top 5 center who is 25 becomes available and signed long term. The only concern is his medical status.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Certainly not. I was just generally responding to the notion that anyone picked in the next 2 years won't play in the NHL for several years.

As to Eichel, once again I don't know why Buffalo would trade him for futures when they need good young players TODAY. They are a franchise on the precipice of complete meltdown and player revolt. If I'm Buffalo I'd insist on either Zegras or Drysdale being part (emphasis on "part") of the package I'd demand. I just don't think the Ducks can give Buffalo what they'd want and need to part with Eichel.

I think they would want that too which makes me think LA is the clear frontrunner which is disgusting to me. But I wouldnt hesitate to start a trade proposal with this year and next's first rounders.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I'd offer Rakell + Comtois + Perrault + 2021 first +2022 first. I imagine the lack of a center going back would be an issue.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I think they would want that too which makes me think LA is the clear frontrunner which is disgusting to me. But I wouldnt hesitate to start a trade proposal with this year and next's first rounders.

Well LA is another team that really only has unproven prospects to offer for Eichel (and Byfield won't be one of them). Vilardi is the closest to what Buffalo would want but they'd still need to add a lot more. If I'm LA I'd put a higher priority on a top 4 LHD and one or two scoring wingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad