Speculation: ‘20-21 Trade/Free Agency Thread Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
Bob Murray will be quick to remind them that Anaheim will contend for the playoffs next season, just like we did this season

I remember the Ducks being around .500 for a week or so at the start. That's "contending," right?

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
None of the Buffalo guys want to go through a rebuild. Why do you think they would want to come to Anaheim, in a rebuild?
That's a fair question and in a deal like that I think you try and sell them in the idea that we're in better position. Our D is largely developed. We have a top goalie which was a glaring need in Buffalo. We have depth forwards and some young players that made significant strides this year. Adding Eichel should have us trending in the right direction and at least its not Buffalo.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Buffalo has been rebuilding for almost a decade. I don't think their fans would tolerate the rebuild starting over again. An Eichel trade would have to involve young NHL ready talent going to Buffalo. The only players on the Ducks that meet that requirement are Zegras, Drysdale, and Comtois. At least one of them (and possibly two) would have to be involved in the deal or else why would Buffalo be interested?

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Buffalo has been rebuilding for almost a decade. I don't think their fans would tolerate the rebuild starting over again. An Eichel trade would have to involve young NHL ready talent going to Buffalo. The only players on the Ducks that meet that requirement are Zegras, Drysdale, and Comtois. At least one of them (and possibly two) would have to be involved in the deal or else why would Buffalo be interested?
That's fair. I think it will be interesting to see. I'm not sure how much choice they have at the stage. Significant changes must be made.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Barkov isn't ever going to get to free agency. Florida will get him signed or trade him if they know they can't.

Hoffman is the one guy we should look at in free agency. If you could get him on a 1/2 year deal he's a guy that could drastically alter the PP.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Against the non-playoff teams in the West this year:

Ducks Opponents
TeamGPWLOTLPts.GFGAGD
Arizona82426 1725-8
LA84408 2225-3
SJ84319 22202
Total241011323 6170-9
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Against the playoff teams in the West this year:

Ducks Opponents
TeamGPWLOTLPts.GFGAGD
Vegas81524 1329-16
Colorado82426 1930-11
Minny81524 1424-10
St. Louis83506 1926-7
Total32719620 65109-44
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Against weaker teams, the Ducks were able to put up more points against them in eight fewer games than against playoff teams. Anaheim was in the positive goal differential (GD) once in all of the series. What does this mean? It means in games that were not close, they were blown out. Also, it means the Ducks were involved in a plethora of close games. Note the Ducks have 9 OTL points, which is tied for most on the West. The Ducks did this while missing their top-2 defensemen for most of the season. Lindholm played in only 18 games, or 32% of the season. Manson played in 23 games, or 41% of the season. They played together only three times this year, actually less because Manson fell during the third game.

PK importance
I tracked when Lindholm and Manson were on the ice for Power Play situations versus when they were not on the ice.

PK with and without Lindholm and Manson (Up to game 47)
Up to game 47
.GamesPPGATSHPK EffRank
Total472914179.4%14th
With L or M351510685.8%
total - w L or M12143560.0%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Note: Game 47 was Manson's last game healthy until the last two games of the season.​

As you can see, with either Lindholm or Manson, the PK is one of the tops in the league. Currently, an 85.8% PK efficiency ranks the Ducks at 3rd overall. Since over half of the Ducks were one-goal differential games, reducing that PPGA could have lead to more wins. In 29 one-goal games, the Ducks went 10-10-9.

During the season, Anaheim promoted 18-year old RHD Drysdale. He started off hot, but the league wore him down fast. Yet, he remained in our top-4 because he was better than whoever we had. At the trade deadline, the Ducks acquired 24 year old Fleury and he blossomed offensively at the conclusion of the season. Although we did ship off Hakanpaa for Fleury, the Ducks are +1 in defensive depth compared to the start of the season. This depth is important because our top-2 defenseman have been unlucky with injuries for the past two seasons. Why is this important? Here is a small sample of seven games without Lindholm or Manson on the PK.

PK without Lindholm or Manson (Games 48-54)
Ducks
GamesPKGATSHPCT
48VGK03100%
49LA02100%
50LA1580%
51LA01100%
52LA01100%
53St. L1250%
54St. L1367%
7Total31782.4%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The additions of Drysdale and Fleury reveal themselves in a very encouraging way such that we can survive the loss of Manson or Lindholm on the PK. Of course, there are other factors such as Lundestrom's defense stepping up on the PK as well as the addition of Volkov.

Depth: Defense and Goalie

Currently, the Ducks have top netminders Stolarz and Dostal in their system. Ollie Eriksson Ek is developing. Stolarz might be the player that might be plucked for the Expansion draft. This leaves Dostal and OEE in our system. Dostal is putting up similar numbers to Stolarz and Dostal is only 20 years old (will turn 20 in June). Anaheim is set at goal in the NHL with Gibby. Many teams do not have a competent goalie. Although Buffalo has some talent in their system, acquiring Dostal in a deal for Eichel is very valuable as they can let Dostal continue to pile up his resume in the AHL and can ship him off to another team for even more assets. There's a possibility Stolarz isn't drafted at the XD and the Ducks netminding depth increases.

Outside of our top-5 blue liners (Lindholm, Manson, Fowler, Fleury, and Drysdale), Anaheim has a few young defenseman developing in Benoit, Andersson, and Mahura in the AHL. There are a few older prospects in Curran, Larsson, and Guhle. In college, LaCombe and Thrun are going into their junior season. Going to college next season is Ian Moore. LaCombe might be a heavily propped up prospect to other teams as his offense is rising year after year while learning to play defense in college. His skating is amazing, which helps him to adapt faster. Jackson went from unknown high schooler to being a top defender in the Big 10 (made big 10 rookie team and big 10 first team in his sophomore year). Could a team want a potential Shea Theodore-lite?

Anaheim can afford to lose prospects in a goalie and a defense or two. If Manson and Lindholm are re-signed, then there's only one NHL blue line roster available and a 7th defenseman, which would be reserved for a low paying veteran defenseman.

What the Ducks are in dire need of is a strong forward who can score. Anaheim possesses high end draft picks (this year's first and second round selections), high end prospects, and about $20 mil in cap space, where several RFA's will come relatively cheap. Whether that forward comes via FA or trade, this is the year that the Ducks can vault itself into competitive play. They could go after two forwards. Conflate that with an assistant coach who can vastly improve the PP and the Ducks increase their chances of competitiveness with respect to the playoffs.

The difference between the Ducks and Kings is that the Kings were held up thise season by their big-3 veterans in Kopitar (age 33), Doughty (31), and Brown (36). Anaheim's top scorer is 22 year old Comtois. In 19 year old Zegras' recall as a center, he put up 6 points (2g, 4a) in seven games. 21 year old Lundy is establishing himself as an NHL center. Then there's the two defensemen in 18 year old Drysdale and 24 year old Fleury. What I'm saying is that the youth group is what is creating the push in Anaheim, ahead of the Kings' contingency. Adding a strong forward or two can do so much for this franchise. Acquiring a 24 year old Eichel would definitely catapult the team ahead, provided he's acquired via propspects and not one of the youths listed above. But do they need Eichel to improve? No. It's one option. The Ducks have a developing forward core that needs extra juice. Acquiring Hoffman (on a short term) + via free agency without sacrificing this year's #1 would be amazing! There should be several options, but the Ducks core looks to be solid and improving.

Reactions: AlphaPred

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
I'll tell you what, Bunting is looking like someone we should take a gamble on.

You want a guy who will start shit and drive the net? He might be scrawny but if there's anyone that Bargain Bob should be on the lookout for in terms of a cheap gamble, Bunting makes a lot of sense.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Reinhart + Ristolinen please

Man, I'm torn. I've always been a fan personally, plus he does fit the age range well and he's a dead solid 2C (I think he can play center full-time) who can give you 55-60 points, but he's still in that B-level range of a player where if he's getting $7.5-8M AAV as a free agent, I feel like I'm overpaying.

Regardless, I would be surprised if it happens. Reinhart has already said publicly he does not want to commit to another rebuilding project, and even though we're closer than Buffalo is, he'll probably his leverage his last arbitration-eligible season to hit unrestricted free agency and Bob is not going to surrender quality assets unless he has assurances of an extension.

Last edited:

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Are we sure Byfield fits that bill, in that case? He’s still seen as a project although he might play in the NHL full time next year.

I have a slight feeling the 1st or 2nd overall could be more NHL ready than Byfield next season. Maybe I’m off base

LuckyDucky

Mar 18, 2015
How did we get to a point in our collective thinking where adding a 24yo 1C for a couple draft picks torpedos our future? That's bananas.
I wouldn't say that the Ducks are torpedoing their future, but I do think the Ducks would be jumping the gun if they were to trade for Eichel. If they were to trade their top picks, then the only way for them to fill out their top 6 is through free agency. The Ducks top 6 with Eichel would look something like:

Rakell-Eichel-Henrique?
Comtois-Zegras-Terry

That isn't a contending top 6 forward group. And that doesn't include the fact(s) that one of Comtois, Zegras, or Drysdale will almost certainly be the ask, and Rakell may not even be on the team after next season.

Reactions: Boo Boo

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
I don’t want to trade for eichel just to put him on an island here. We should definitely ask due to buffalos tendency to give stars away for cheap but I think we need to hold on to drysdale and zegras.

Next offseason though if eichel hasn’t been traded we need to go all in on him to support d,z and our first this year.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I think we are all in agreement that the Ducks should try to keep Z and Drysdale

Having said that, we have a shit load of other quality pieces to offer them, starting with possibly a top 2 pick. It’s worth a shot offering them that as the center piece along with other prospects and picks. It might not get it done obviously

If his health checks out

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Wonder what the cost for Reinhart would be.

B prospect and a high 2nd? He's a tricky value because for all intents and purposes, he is a rental at the moment as this is his final year of RFA arbitration rights before he hits UFA next year; he'd definitely command more if you had assurances of an extension.

Like I said, love the player but am wary of the price of an extension. If you can get something done around 6X6.5, I'd do that easily (that's barely above Henrique money, despite him being a much better player). Like I said above though, getting into the $7.5-8M AAV range makes me nervous.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
How did we get to a point in our collective thinking where adding a 24yo 1C for a couple draft picks torpedos our future? That's bananas.
Ya I don’t get it eichel is what we are hoping to get if we tanked... cept he’s expierenced and ready now. Not to mention the likely hood of us getting anyone as good as eichel is really damn low.... not like he’s old and trending down either

Reactions: Deuce22

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I think we are all in agreement that the Ducks should try to keep Z and Drysdale

Having said that, we have a shit load of other quality pieces to offer them, starting with possibly a top 2 pick. It’s worth a shot offering them that as the center piece along with other prospects and picks. It might not get it done obviously

If his health checks out
Pretty much if you can get eichel reinhart barkov or whoever without trading zegs or drysdale you basically do it

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Craig Button who as far as I know doesn’t have many sources but he may know something has mentioned Calgary as a fit for Eichel.

And to be honest it probably makes a lot of sense, Buffalo isn’t going to want to be perpetually rebuilding and there is an obvious hockey trade to be made involving likely Gaudreau and or Monahan. Obviously Calgary needs to add if Gaudreau/Monahan is the main piece going back but that way the Sabres at least get a quality player back.

That’s assuming Buffalo doesn’t want futures.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
B prospect and a high 2nd? He's a tricky value because for all intents and purposes, he is a rental at the moment as this is his final year of RFA arbitration rights before he hits UFA next year; he'd definitely command more if you had assurances of an extension.

Like I said, love the player but am wary of the price of an extension. If you can get something done around 6X6.5, I'd do that easily (that's barely above Henrique money, despite him being a much better player). Like I said above though, getting into the $7.5-8M AAV range makes me nervous.

Feel Reinhart is more in our affordable range and can add that scoring support we need for guys like Zegras, Comtois, Terry, and etc. He can also play center or wing.

Reinhart doesn’t want to go through a rebuild though even if the Ducks are closer to playoffs than Buffalo since everyone wants to leave lol.

Ducks players are more like yeah it was tough but it wasn’t a normal year and are ready for next season and think the future looks good and blah blah and they want to see the rebuild through. Heck, even Rico’s exit interview was hopeful and said wants to be here and he got waived.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad