Speculation: ‘20-21 Trade/Free Agency Thread Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Well LA is another team that really only has unproven prospects to offer for Eichel (and Byfield won't be one of them). Vilardi is the closest to what Buffalo would want but they'd still need to add a lot more. If I'm LA I'd put a higher priority on a top 4 LHD and one or two scoring wingers.
Turcotte would be higher in desire than vilardi and the most likely prospect to be moved, I imagine, even if he is a little behind vilardi I in timeline.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
I'd offer Rakell + Comtois + Perrault + 2021 first +2022 first. I imagine the lack of a center going back would be an issue.

Give me top-10 protection on the pick and a clean medical on Eichel and I’d really have to think about it. Maybe flip out Perreault for one of LaCombe/Thrun

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
After Shane Wright there is Lambert and Savoie who are better than this years top forward prospects.
Finishing dead last next season means you get at least Savoie.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Give me top-10 protection on the pick and a clean medical on Eichel and I’d really have to think about it. Maybe flip out Perreault for one of LaCombe/Thrun
The medicals would have to check out for sure.

The thing about Eichel's injury and treatment: the proposed surgery is actually fairly similar to the surgery I just had, just without the screws/rods. The problem is that it hasn't been done very much in the neck area and the higher up the spinal cord the injury the more of the body is affected.

I have full confidence in the procedure itself because it's pretty straightforward, but teams are not going to like the inability to look at similar cases with other players in the league because there really aren't any at all and that's why buffalo has pushed for conservative treatment for this long.

Reactions: Getz2noone

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
yeah, if thats the price I'm not touching it.
The trade could end up looking like highway robbery for Buffalo.
Eichel has a injury history before this year, he played only 61 games in his 2nd season and 67 in his 3rd.

Eichel could breakdown and never be the same. The 2022 pick could turn into Wright/Lambert/Savoie, Comtois + Perreault could have 25 to 30 goal seasons in Buffalo. Buffalo trades Rakell for a nice return. The 2021 1st turns into Clarke who forms a great top D pair with Dahlin or a 2way center Beniers.

Reactions: duckpuck

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
The trade could end up looking like highway robbery for Buffalo.
Eichel has a injury history before this year, he played only 61 games in his 2nd season and 67 in his 3rd.

Eichel could breakdown and never be the same. The 2022 pick could turn into Wright/Lambert/Savoie, Comtois + Perreault could have 25 to 30 goal seasons in Buffalo. Buffalo trades Rakell for a nice return. The 2021 1st turns into Clarke who forms a great top D pair with Dahlin or a 2way center Beniers.
Any trade can look like highway robbery for any team if we only go by worst/best case scenarios.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
There will be 5-10 players in that draft as good as Jack Eichel?
Why have Jack Eichel when you can have two guys who almost certainly won't be as good as he is but who might...quickly...be able to play in your top 6, which is one of the shittiest in the league. I'm sold, man.

Some of you need to realize that being a good GM doesn't mean "committing to a rebuild," it means setting aside your prospect FOMO and picking a direction. You can't wallow in draft picks forever.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Why have Jack Eichel when you can have two guys who almost certainly won't be as good as he is but who might...quickly...be able to play in your top 6, which is one of the shittiest in the league. I'm sold, man.

Some of you need to realize that being a good GM doesn't mean "committing to a rebuild," it means setting aside your prospect FOMO and picking a direction. You can't wallow in draft picks forever.

Speaking of never ending rebuilds...Can't we just settle on the fact the Ducks don't have the pieces that Buffalo would want? Or is it ok for Buffalo to rebuild for a decade and still be bad?

Reactions: 405Entrance
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I wonder if Rakell and/or Manson could be in play here. Obviously not what Buffalo needs right now but both guys could be traded either instantly or at the deadline, fill a roster spot if needed and it allows the salary to be evened up without saddling Buffalo with dead weight.

Other names I'd wonder about are Lundestrom and especially Dostal. Lundy gives them another valuable center and they're so barren in goal I could really see them like Dostal.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
That's interesting that Seravalli mentioned the Ducks. I never expected them to be at the forefront of the Eichel talks, but good to hear that they appear to be poking around

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
That's interesting that Seravalli mentioned the Ducks. I never expected them to be at the forefront of the Eichel talks, but good to hear that they appear to be poking around

I was really surprised too at first but I think it makes a ton of sense. Zegras might be at a level where Buffalo knows he's not on the table and that's massive, and if all the top level guys are off the table then the Ducks might have as good a chance as any.

Reactions: Mr Rogers

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I get that, don't think I'd agree though. I just really don't like the idea of semi-starting from scratch in net, but I definitely see the upside in that one.
Goaltending is fickle enough that I'd be ok transferring that risk onto Eichel's medicals. Gibson is supposedly a top 10 netminder but hasn't performed that way in a couple years.

Reactions: Paul4587

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Sign Hoffman, Bunting, Rittich, and Coleman. Lose Steel in the expansion draft. Buyout Silfverberg and Henrique in 2022 (less than 2 million cap hit for 4 seasons for both). Trade Rakell and Manson for 2022 picks.

Hoffman-Zegras-Terry
Comtois-Getzlaf-Coleman
Jones-Lundestrom-Silfverberg
Bunting-Grant-Volkov
Henrique (first player in for injuries)

Lindholm-Drysdale
Fowler-Shattenkirk
Fleury-Benoit

Gibson
Rittich

I can't see any reason to buyout Silf or Henrique in 2022 - maybe after 2022-23 (maybe). I guess if the ducks need the cap space, ok. But that doesn't seem likely in 2022. I'd rather put them on the 4th line if need be and ride out the contracts. The problem with the buyout is you're deferring cap dollars to the years you'll need them to re-sign zegras, drysdale and the other young (and hopefully valuable) talent in the pipeline.

I can see a place for Hoffman at the right price, but Rittich, Bunting and Coleman don't strike me as fits. They're the type of players who are likely to be overpaid and not really move the needle for the ducks.

Separately, for some reason I feel like the ducks could make a run at Dougie Hamilton. For some reason, that seems to me like a Murray move and Hamilton is the quirky type of guy who might sign in a place like Anaheim (i.e., looking to play a bit outside the NHL limelight).

I'd offer Rakell + Comtois + Perrault + 2021 first +2022 first. I imagine the lack of a center going back would be an issue.

That's an overpayment for the ducks - given their assets - unless there's serious trade protection on the 2022 pick. The bottom line is the ducks can't give up that much and still field a competitive team going forward. And I say that as someone who sees Eichel as a 1C the ducks desperately need.

I think Buffalo is going to want at least one big name - Gibson or Lindholm and then a bunch of other pieces. The problem is that many other teams have better assets to offer - NYR, Kings, and even Calgary. I think the ducks are going to need to ride it out a bit to accumulate assets and then look to make a trade or sign a top level UFA if one becomes available in the next few years (Laine?).

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017

Color me skeptical. Maybe I'm just a cynic because of what the NFL media cycle puts me through with the Raiders being "in" on every major player under the sun, but I think the interest angle with Eichel is going to be overblown, just like I think they were never seriously in on Dubois despite being considered the runners-up (i.e. they were in the initial stage of conversations, but it never developed into anything resembling a serious offer)

Reactions: Deuce22

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
just like I think they were never seriously in on Dubois despite being considered the runners-up (i.e. they were in the initial stage of conversations, but it never developed into anything resembling a serious offer)
I remember reading that we put forward the best long term deal for Columbus but Winnipeg had the best individual player so they were the winner.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
So say if we did propose Gibson as the main piece, who goes with him? They’re going to want a forward going back up front, maybe two. Comtois I would think has to go and maybe Rakell could be a sweetener also.

Or do you just offer Gibson plus wherever the top 4 pick lands and see what they say?

I genuinely have no idea, it’s so hard to gauge his value when a goalie is the main piece going back the other way.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
If Buffalo trades eichel then they need to rebuild. I don’t think Gibson does anything for them at that point.

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949
If Buffalo is looking to get a center prospect back as a centerpiece, they can draft Matthew Beniers with our 1st round pick. Beniers, 2022 1st round pick, Manson, Rakell, and maybe Dostal.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
If Buffalo trades eichel then they need to rebuild. I don’t think Gibson does anything for them at that point.

They’ve been rebuilding the last 10 years, I think they’re going to demand an established piece as the return. I think it is going to be a hockey trade.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
That would really set us back on the rebuild but given us some core pieces. If there were some good pieces we could pick up in free agency at wing I'd consider it. Otherwise I feel like we are decimating the roster and giving up two first round and potentially top picks could really stunt the rebuild if this team isn't really good right away.

Reactions: duckpuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad