Speculation: ‘20-21 Trade/Free Agency Thread Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
I'd love to get Hoffman as a FA this offseason. I know there's some chemistry issues surrounding him, but we need to add some guys that are gifted goal scorers. He is one.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I’d be shocked if eichel gets as much as people are suggesting on the trade forums...

he’ll get 1 premium assset, couple good prospects and prob couple picks

premium parts could be turcotte, dach, our 1st etc

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Color me skeptical. Maybe I'm just a cynic because of what the NFL media cycle puts me through with the Raiders being "in" on every major player under the sun, but I think the interest angle with Eichel is going to be overblown, just like I think they were never seriously in on Dubois despite being considered the runners-up (i.e. they were in the initial stage of conversations, but it never developed into anything resembling a serious offer)

I agree. He mentioned them but only in the context that Murray wants to "make a splash". The reality is that the pieces for a good match are not there and Murray must know that. Seravelli spent much more time with details on the Kings pursuit of Eichel. Of the two teams (LA and Anaheim), LA is better positioned to get Eichel and it is more logical for them to do so while Doughty and Kopitar are still productive.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
If Buffalo trades eichel then they need to rebuild. I don’t think Gibson does anything for them at that point.

I agree. The most likely trade destinations for Gibson (if he is traded at all) will be to a team which bowed out early in the SC playoffs due to goaltending issues. I see Carolina, Toronto, and Colorado as the most likely teams that might fit that category.

Reactions: Boo Boo
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Please clarify.
They've done it for this long. Buffalo is an incompetent organization and I don't expect them to make decisions that are most likely to lead them out of a rebuild successfully.

edit - and anyway I don't care what they want. The premise that brought me into this conversation was whether trading a couple first round picks for Eichel was a bad idea for our rebuild. It's not; it's a brilliant idea and to say otherwise is wrong and dumb. Not getting into the weeds on what Buffalo wants, they probably want a better climate and better downtown, for starters.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
They've done it for this long. Buffalo is an incompetent organization and I don't expect them to make decisions that are most likely to lead them out of a rebuild successfully.

edit - and anyway I don't care what they want. The premise that brought me into this conversation was whether trading a couple first round picks for Eichel was a bad idea for our rebuild. It's not; it's a brilliant idea and to say otherwise is wrong and dumb. Not getting into the weeds on what Buffalo wants, they probably want a better climate and better downtown, for starters.

Ok thanks. Don't disagree with you on trading the picks if he checks out medically. Whether the timing is right or not is another issue that can be legitimately discussed and argued.

Disagree that Buffalo will accept a pure futures package for him. They'll need to get at least one young star in return to even begin justifying it to their fanbase. They may be incompetent but they won't commit organizational suicide by accepting an offer that doesn't help them for 3-5 years. And remember, Eichel's options to force a trade are somewhat limited if he wants to continue to receive a paycheck.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I'd take Palms or Hoffman just to develop Z with a shooter for a season or two.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I’d be shocked if eichel gets as much as people are suggesting on the trade forums...

I tend to agree. Any time a player like that is traded at all its never for as much as you'd think. Even moreso when they're pushing for a trade and even more than that when there's bad blood like there is here. As ridiculous as it sounds at first I think we compete without putting Z, Drysdale or Comtois on the table

Reactions: AngelDuck

AlphaPred

May 2, 2021

So would I. Buffalo has no leverage in this situation. They're going to take the best low-ball they can get because Eichel wants out and if they keep him that's not going to be a fun lockerroom to be around.

Reactions: Getz2noone

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Who would the Rangers be offering? I doubt they’d move Lafreniere a year into his career. Could they move Kakko?

If you guys are Buffalo would you rather have Kakko or our 1st?

No right or wrong answer here, just wondering

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
It could be that a top 4 pick is what pushes a Anaheim offer past what LA or NYR could offer - assuming neither of those teams win one of the lotteries. I would have no trouble moving our first and some other pieces not named Zegs/Drysdale. The question is how much do you add, i'd be hesitant to include our first next season.

Reactions: TopShelfWaterBottle

LuckyDucky

Mar 18, 2015
Ok thanks. Don't disagree with you on trading the picks if he checks out medically. Whether the timing is right or not is another issue that can be legitimately discussed and argued.

Disagree that Buffalo will accept a pure futures package for him. They'll need to get at least one young star in return to even begin justifying it to their fanbase. They may be incompetent but they won't commit organizational suicide by accepting an offer that doesn't help them for 3-5 years. And remember, Eichel's options to force a trade are somewhat limited if he wants to continue to receive a paycheck.
This is the point I was trying hammer home. If the Ducks had a few more "dudes" that could play with Zegras and Eichel, then I'd be more than happy to throw picks at the Sabres. The Ducks, unfortunately, don't.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
This is the point I was trying hammer home. If the Ducks had a few more "dudes" that could play with Zegras and Eichel, then I'd be more than happy to throw picks at the Sabres. The Ducks, unfortunately, don't.
That’s where being a GM comes into play lol. The job doesn’t stop once you get Eichel, it just brings you so much closer. It will still require the acquisition of talent around Z and Eichel obviously.

This is where BobMurray or whoever the GM is would have to get creative. I think it’s incredible that some think the absolute only avenue to acquire that talent is through drafting in the 1st round.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Florida is a contender right now and some of their leading scorers are players like Duclair, Verhagee, Hornqvist.

They did not acquire these supplementary pieces around Barkov and Huberdeau by drafting in the 1st round

Their GM had an ability to evaluate talent that was under appreciated around the league

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Who would the Rangers be offering? I doubt they’d move Lafreniere a year into his career. Could they move Kakko?

If you guys are Buffalo would you rather have Kakko or our 1st?

No right or wrong answer here, just wondering
I would guess some combination of Kakko, Lafreniere, Chytil, K’Andre Miller, Nils Lundqvist, Zac Jones, Braden Schneider, and some picks.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Since there's so much buzz around Eichel, which there should be, maybe GM Murray can do something sneaky and setup a deal for Reinhart using futures (excluding this year's first) as well as go after Hoffman. But in the trade for Reinhart, have an extension in place. If no one is going to give us a top end center, then maybe holding onto the first round pick and hope we land Beniers might be a way to go.

As for Eichel's situation with Buffalo, they are set to lose both Eichel and Reinhart. It's a rebuild. Should they go a trade route with the Ducks, then they're going to own at least two top-4 picks in this year's draft. The Ducks' first round pick is of significant value. They can start all over again with their core for the future in this year's draft. But if Buffalo truly wants to rebuild with a bigger core, then I'd be looking at all of Columbus' three first round picks this year plus. Having four first round picks sounds crazy! Columbus own three first round picks and that was crazy enough!

LuckyDucky

Mar 18, 2015
That’s where being a GM comes into play lol. The job doesn’t stop once you get Eichel, it just brings you so much closer. It will still require the acquisition of talent around Z and Eichel obviously.

This is where BobMurray or whoever the GM is would have to get creative. I think it’s incredible that some think the absolute only avenue to acquire that talent is through drafting in the 1st round.
This was the proposal: Rakell + Comtois + Perrault + 2021 first +2022 first. The Ducks don't have a ton of valuable, tradable pieces (if any) after that trade. Free agency is another avenue, but it's rare to find good value on the open market (especially if you are looking for top 6 talent). My question to you is, how else would the Ducks acquire that talent?

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
This was the proposal: Rakell + Comtois + Perrault + 2021 first +2022 first. The Ducks don't have a ton of valuable, tradable pieces (if any) after that trade. Free agency is another avenue, but it's rare to find good value on the open market (especially if you are looking for top 6 talent). My question to you is, how else would the Ducks acquire that talent?
I already answered that in my 2nd post. The Gm would have to get smart and buy low on pieces that are undervalued. Why is it that the Lightning can find a Yanni Gourde and a Blake Coleman and we can’t? Why is it that Vegas can find a Chandler Stephenson and we can’t? Why is it that Florida can find a Sam Bennett, Patriq Hornqvist, Carter Verhagee, Anthony Duclair and we can’t? Why is it that Colorado can find a Brandon Saad, Nazem Kadri, Jonas Donskoi and we can’t?
These are the questions you should be asking yourself. And the answer is almost certainly that their front office has a better method to doing things than simply collecting 1st round picks and sitting back.

It’s not as unlikely as you think it is

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Ducks could get Coloradoed/Ottawad in that deal unless they add top3 protection to that 2022 pick.
If the Ducks don't improve after gutting the depth for 1 player (and its possible if Gibson continues to suck, Lindholm continues to get hurt or traded).
I'd be really mad if that 2022 pick somehow won the draft lottery and the Ducks don't have the rights to that pick.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
I already answered that in my 2nd post. The Gm would have to get smart and buy low on pieces that are undervalued. Why is it that the Lightning can find a Yanni Gourde and a Blake Coleman and we can’t? Why is it that Vegas can find a Chandler Stephenson and we can’t? Why is it that Florida can find a Sam Bennett, Patriq Hornqvist, Carter Verhagee, Anthony Duclair and we can’t? Why is it that Colorado can find a Brandon Saad, Nazem Kadri, Jonas Donskoi and we can’t?
These are the questions you should be asking yourself. And the answer is almost certainly that their front office has a better method to doing things than simply collecting 1st round picks and sitting back.

It’s not as unlikely as you think it is

Definitely the weakness of the team. I'm pretty sure that Madden runs both roles now, but even before he took control of the pro side, as good as our amateur scouting department is, our pro scouting department is ass.

Last edited:
Reactions: AngelDuck

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

you new to HF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad