Speculation: ‘20-21 Trade/Free Agency Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Stephens with a mini update on the Virtanen situation on The Athletic's real time thing. Says talks are shelved, if not dead, and the holdup is us wanting Vancouver to take salary back to make up for Virtanen's salary shooting up next year and Vancouver doesn't want to do that.

Good for the ducks. No reason to take that salary next year without some additional salary going back and/or another asset coming to anaheim.

What are we supposed to do with a Jake Virtanen? Guy has 1 goal in 19 games this season, he's supposed to bring offense on the table? If we wanted a physical presence at a low cap hit, then why the **** was Ritchie traded in the first place..? :help:

If anything, we should be looking for ways to dismantle this roster, not add to it. If you want to take the L from the Ritchie trade by dealing Heinen, go ahead, but at least do it for a pick.

If the price is right (see above), what is the downside of trading a player who is being scratched (Heinen) for someone with upside? Heinen is a RFA and likely to be non-tendered IMO.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Trade for 1st line talent while keeping the high pick is interesting. You create another hole by trading something worth a first line talent.

Last edited:
Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

wraparound

May 17, 2014
Is he been bad? I thought he'd be a solid option for the Leafs bottom 6
He hasn’t been good this season. Despite that, Eakins will not scratch him or limit his ice time; in fact there were several shifts where Grant was subbed in for Zegras. Meanwhile Terry, Henrique & Heinen get scratched. I’m sure if he was used in a sheltered, limited capacity that played to his actual strengths (read: winning faceoffs), he’d be a solid 4th liner/PK guy.

Reactions: duckpuck

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
He hasn’t been good this season. Despite that, Eakins will not scratch him or limit his ice time; in fact there were several shifts where Grant was subbed in for Zegras. Meanwhile Terry, Henrique & Heinen get scratched. I’m sure if he was used in a sheltered, limited capacity that played to his actual strengths (read: winning faceoffs), he’d be a solid 4th liner/PK guy.
Grant had been scratched before, but yes, he should still be scratched.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Is he been bad? I thought he'd be a solid option for the Leafs bottom 6

He would be a solid add for any contending team. Is a good PKer, wins draws (and has the ability to take key defensive zone fos) and is reliable enough in his own end. Not sure how much interest there would be due to the term on his deal but it’s not terrible.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
Who do we realistically seeing traded prior to the deadline. Here are a couple of guys I think will be dealt:

Rowney (if interest)
Backes (see above)
Heinen (pretty obvious)
Rakell (value contract/best chance at a good return)

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Who do we realistically seeing traded prior to the deadline. Here are a couple of guys I think will be dealt:

Rowney (if interest)
Backes (see above)
Heinen (pretty obvious)
Rakell (value contract/best chance at a good return)

I wonder if holding on to Rakell until the summer might be a better move. The draft is pushed back to late July, so Rakell can sign a new contract prior to then. Ducks can talk to him about a new contract, and if he wants too much they can offer him around with other teams able to talk to him with an extension. With everyone knowing where they pick, it might get the Ducks a pretty decent pick, especially if they like a guy in that range. If not, trade him for a 2022 first since that draft is supposed to be deeper.

I also think there will be someone we don't expect (a depth guy) moved prior to the deadline (a Larsson level guy) since one of those trades seem to come out of nowhere every year or two.

Reactions: duckpuck

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
I think that a depth defenseman, like Hutton, is likely to be moved at the trade deadline. Contenders, or at least playoff teams, always want an extra NHL capable defenseman whose contract is expiring at the end of the season. The return may not be great, say a fifth round draft choice, but it is something.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
The guys that Bob needs to move before the deadline IMO are Rowney/Backes/Heinen/Manson/Hutton. If by some miracle anyone will take Henrique or Shattenkirk without sending a dump or us retaining, great. Rakell has to go too if he can fetch a great package. The only vets that should be safe are Gibson, Lindholm, and Fowler. Literally everyone else should have a price.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
I’d trade Gibson, depending on the return. We desperately need to rebuild but don’t many players that can get a solid return.

If we could get a very high end prospect/top young roster player and a 1st I may be in. Then just need to pray Dostal is the real deal.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I’d trade Gibson, depending on the return. We desperately need to rebuild but don’t many players that can get a solid return.

If we could get a very high end prospect/top young roster player and a 1st I may be in. Then just need to pray Dostal is the real deal.

The only scenario I'd move Gibson is if it's a Byram level young player we're getting. Anything else is a no for me.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
The guys that Bob needs to move before the deadline IMO are Rowney/Backes/Heinen/Manson/Hutton. If by some miracle anyone will take Henrique or Shattenkirk without sending a dump or us retaining, great. Rakell has to go too if he can fetch a great package. The only vets that should be safe are Gibson, Lindholm, and Fowler. Literally everyone else should have a price.

I don't see any of those guys returning much. I'm fine with trading any of them, though I might keep Manson just because he's got another year on his contract and his value must be at an all time low. Probably better to wait on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad