Speculation: ‘20-21 Trade/Free Agency Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Hes way better than Virtanen defensively imo.
Canucks probably want D help though. That makes the trade way different.

All the reporting is that our GM is trying to add "top 9 forward under 25". Vancouver's D-core is quite bad, yes, but also their middle-6/bottom-6 is probably amongst the worst in the league in terms of effectiveness.

Reactions: ReptilianQuack

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Time for math equation/valuations

Bennet=Ritchie >> Virtanen= f*** BM.

Reactions: Opak

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
If I'm Henry/Susan Samueli, I fire Murray immediately. Name McNab as interim GM and begin vetting candidates with the intention of naming the new GM before the trade deadline. Bring Darryl Sutter more into the fold to aid Eakins for the remainder of the season (alternatively, fire Eakins and name Sutter as interim HC if it's something he'd agree to for the remainder of the season). Replace Eakins in the offseason (wish-list: Gallant, Gronberg, Jalonen, Lambert).

I think Murray is around until after the expansion/nhl drafts, and then moves on. I think that's been the plan all along. And I think ownership should stick to that plan given that its pretty late to make changes and hard to do so during the season. .

As an aside, ownership is getting wired $20 million in the next month from seattle. Keep that in mind if we continue to nickel and dime.

Several posts from you about ownership refusing to spend money and nickel and diming. There is no evidence of that. The ducks have spent to the cap and spent big dollars on long term deals as well as facilities (honda center) and local hockey rinks (great park and other ducks rinks). The problem is Murray has spent the money poorly (or used assets poorly). I fault ownership for not holding Murray to a higher standard. But there is no basis for making this a money issue. And for the record, the Samuelis are about as hands off as it gets (hence the lack of accountability). That may be part of the problem, but on the whole that's the best way to run an organization (compare to Artie Moreno).

Reactions: ReptilianQuack

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I think Murray is around until after the expansion/nhl drafts, and then moves on. I think that's been the plan all along. And I think ownership should stick to that plan given that its pretty late to make changes and hard to do so during the season. .

Several posts from you about ownership refusing to spend money and nickel and diming. There is no evidence of that. The ducks have spent to the cap and spent big dollars on long term deals as well as facilities (honda center) and local hockey rinks (great park and other ducks rinks). The problem is Murray has spent the money poorly (or used assets poorly). I fault ownership for not holding Murray to a higher standard. But there is no basis for making this a money issue. And for the record, the Samuelis are about as hands off as it gets (hence the lack of accountability). That may be part of the problem, but on the whole that's the best way to run an organization (compare to Artie Moreno).
Ownership spent to the cap too late. Their best team in 2015 was hamstrung at the deadline because of an internal cap.

But, I'm not even talking about that. I'm talking about the many layoffs and salary reductions in the past couple months. If you want to go the route of "it's their money they can do what they want" or "it's hard times right now", I couldn't care less to hear it.

They are billionaires, they could afford to put whatever they want into this franchise and not ever feel the difference.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Kind of wonder if Heinen being scratched recently was related to this. The first time he was scratched Eakins said it had nothing to do with his play but more that they needed to get some guys in, but then on Wednesday they call up Lettieri for a spot in the lineup. Kinda odd, maybe nothing but might make more sense now.

I also wonder if this is like the Faulk deal where the insiders are well behind and its already dead. Although that one tweet about both guys expecting a move doesn't go along with that.

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
Being undisciplined is not the same as having a low IQ. Ritchies IQ in terms of decision making with the puck, vision and making the right decision was generally very good. Him taking dumb penalties doesn’t take that away from him.
Him making poor decisions lead him to take dumb penalties....low IQ

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

Have to wait to see the clip but that's kind of what I wondered. Kind of a complex issue when it comes to the money so not sure how it gets solved.

Here it is if anyone wants it. Apparently the sticking point is the real dollars and making it match, but it's interesting they brought up this year top where you'd think it evens it out on our end. Not exactly how you make that match. Also not sure what Friedman means in this tweet where that's a scary title. Does he mean something changed since or just scared in general that something will change in the coming days.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Ownership spent to the cap too late. Their best team in 2015 was hamstrung at the deadline because of an internal cap.

But, I'm not even talking about that. I'm talking about the many layoffs and salary reductions in the past couple months. If you want to go the route of "it's their money they can do what they want" or "it's hard times right now", I couldn't care less to hear it.

They are billionaires, they could afford to put whatever they want into this franchise and not ever feel the difference.

You may have a point about what happened 2015 - 5+ years ago. But you're ignoring everything that's happened since (spending to the cap pretty much every year) and then saying that the current decisions are based on being cheap.

I believe EVERY SINGLE sports franchise reduced salaries, laid off employees or did furloughs. Perhaps there are a few exceptions. But the ducks were among the very last teams to do so - even after the Maple Leafs who are pretty much regarded as the wealthiest team in the league. How many businesses lost 50% or more of their revenue and didn't shut down or at least lay off employees?

By your logic - since they're billionaires - why charge for tickets? You are awfully generous with other people's money, not to mention clueless of the difference between wealth and cash flow. Did it occur to you that every single business the Samueli's are in - notably the honda center and all the hockey rinks have been bleeding money since COVID with little revenue? Massive amounts of $$ - rent and fixed operation/ownership expenses. Not to mention the sums spent on the new practice facility (also bleeding money since no income) and renovations at the honda center.

Pretty much all owners are wealthy. Very few run their sports teams as charities. There is little evidence that any player personnel or hockey operations decisions today are based on Nickle and diming. Pointing to 2015 is pretty weak stuff.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Well, Bob must be pissed now that the name got out about Heinen and it fell apart. Not too good

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA

The team is still going to lose money and considering the player contracts are guaranteed to sone extent that 20 mill is probably going to cover that.

Reactions: duckpuck
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Well, Bob must be pissed now that the name got out about Heinen and it fell apart. Not too good

Ahh I think it had fell apart long before that, Friedman mentioned the money thing earlier in the week when he first reported it. The media can be behind on these things, like with the Faulk almost-trade. Although that one was probably a lot longer than this one.

wraparound

May 17, 2014
Virtanen is a classic buy low and hope that he magically puts something together on a different team move. Chances are he doesn't but Murray looks like a genius if he does.
Sounds like another Sprong situation waiting to happen

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
What are we supposed to do with a Jake Virtanen? Guy has 1 goal in 19 games this season, he's supposed to bring offense on the table? If we wanted a physical presence at a low cap hit, then why the **** was Ritchie traded in the first place..? :help:

If anything, we should be looking for ways to dismantle this roster, not add to it. If you want to take the L from the Ritchie trade by dealing Heinen, go ahead, but at least do it for a pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: bracer028

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I don't get why Vancouver would want Heinen 'cos they need defence. Not that they could get a great player for Virtanen though, but I would be expecting something like Larsson for Virtanen -type of trade.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
I would not mind Virtanen, him and Max Jones on one line could be fun. Speed, size and grit. I thought Heinen would do better here.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
That'd be a massive waste of a line, they'd never get anything done. Other than take stupid penalties.

I agree. Virtanen is not any different than the struggling players the Ducks have now and will not make any substancial difference. BM loves lateral moves and that is all this is.

The most obvious ways to improve the team (in any order) are: new GM, trade for 1st line talent, draft another high pick, replace coach, and trade struggling vets. Most of this involves waiting which is tough. At least the season is short.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad