Speculation: ‘20-21 Trade/Free Agency Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
You guys are putting too much hope into zegras and drysdale. Ive seen enough the next wayne gretzky to know that you cant rely on 1 or 2 prospects in your pool

Thats why im in the boat to get hundreds of picks to see who floats

Reactions: duckpuck

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Sure, but which do you think was more impactful? The 5 HoFers that the Ducks acquired in those 4 years, or the other minor deals?

You realize that the Ducks are in year 3 of their rebuild right? They dont need 5 more years.
I figure next season is the last season of the rebuild.

Original Contract lenghts
Getzlafxxxxx
Perryxxxxx
Keslerxxxxxx
Eavesx (TDL)xxx
PlayoffsWCF1st rdn/an/aTBD
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
We offered extensions to Kesler and Eaves in 2017. That's $3.15 mil for Eaves and $6.875 mil for Kesler. The team was hoping to get both Eaves and Kesler back healthy for 2018-19 season. It never happened. Also, we traded for Rico early in 2017 because of injuries to Getz AND Kesler. How can a rebuild start in 2018-19 when the org was planning on the return of a healthy Eaves and Kesler along with Rico in tow? Can you imagine a Getz-Kesler-Rico center trio?!

Today, we know that Kesler had too much pride to admit he was broken in so many ways.

2018 hit us hard again with injuries down the middle that we were force to use 18-year old Lundestrom at center, his draft year. Also, we witness a Perry whose talent fell off the cliff in 2018. We traded for scoring by acquiring F Sprong for D Pettersson. But it just wasn't enough. GM Murray then decided to think forward by trading D Monty at the TDL to acquire a first round pick and prospect D Guhle. We had two first round picks in 2019 draft with C Zegras at 9th (our own) and LW Tracey at 29th (for Monty). When GM Murray took over as HC, that fool nearly had the Ducks thinking playoffs. That run he had didn't actually pushed for a rebuild, but Murray thought the kids had shown enough promise to take the next steps next season. Murray knew that Perry was done for with the organization and bought him out at season's end. The biggest cap hit would be in the 2020-21 season at $6.625 mil. That cap hit has import for the overall transition.

Before the 2019-20 season started, we were in on FA D Shattenkirk (2-year deal) and a potential trade for D Justin Faulk. Neither one happened. 2019-20 season was the season of the youth wave and it failed miserably, both on forward and defense. Also, our D group got his with massive injuries to where in one game our top-4 guys were out (Lindholm, Manson, Fowler, and Gudz). Two young gues expected to step up did not with LW Ritchie not producing more and RW Kase being injured often. GM Murray decided to remake the Ducks in trading away LW Ritchie for F Heinen, F Shore for F Milano, F Kase for Backes (salary dump), prospect RHD Andersson, and a 1st. We had two first round picks in the 2020 draft with D Drysdale at 6th (our own) and RW Perreault at 27th (for Kase). We traded away Grant for a 202 4th round pick, but also re-signed Grant! IMO, this is the start of the soft rebuild. We also added D Shattenkirk in the off-season, dumping D Gudz in the process (getting a 2021 fifth round pick).

We're in year 1 of the rebuild, but year 2 of the youth movement. We are very cap strapped due to Perry's buyout and taking on Backes' salary, which was needed to secure a 1st round pick to give the Bruins cap relief. (According to Wheeler of the Athletic, that first round pick, Perreault, is ranked #3 prospect overall on our club.) Fiscally, we've been tied down since the extensions of Eaves and Kesler combined with Getz and Perry's contract. The organization gets a huge cap relief after this season to where we might possibly use Kesler's LTIR before the season starts as we might be done wheeling-and-dealing by dangling we'll take bad contracts for first round picks. Our potential problem is the pool of players that are young or going into their primes to attract this off-season. There isn't a big pool. But we do have a boatload of prospects and picks if another young top tier center becomes available.

The future is looking very bright with Zegras and Drysdale in our organization. Zegras should be able to start out in the NHL for the 2021-22 season. There is a slim chance that Drysdale could possibly make the team in 2021-22 too. Defensively, I think we're going to be very good going forward with the trio of Lindholm, Fowler, and Drysdale. We need forward help either by way of our youth taking steps forward (Steel, Jones, Comtois, Lundestrom, D Larsson, D Guhle, D Hakanpaa), our vets heating up, through FA, by trade, or all of the above.

This year is important because it will reveal that we have a burgeoning forward base or we are a hapless forward base.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
You guys are putting too much hope into zegras and drysdale. Ive seen enough the next wayne gretzky to know that you cant rely on 1 or 2 prospects in your pool

none of them will if you move out all the current nhl talent.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

2015: rd 1, 27th D Larsson
.......... rd 2, C Nattinen (just did not pan out in NA)
.......... rd 5, RW Terry

2016: rd 1, 24th LW Jones
.......... rd 1, 30th C Steel
.......... rd 3, D Mahura

2017: rd 2, Comtois

2018: rd 1, 23rd C Lundestrom
.......... rd 2, C Groulx
.......... rd 3, LW McLaughlin
.......... rd 3, G Dostal

2019: rd 1, 9th C Zegras
.......... rd 1, 28th LW Tracey
.......... rd 2, D LaCombe
.......... rd 4, D Thrun

2020: rd 1, 6th D Drysdale
........... rd 1, 27th RW Perreault
........... rd 2, RW Colangelo
........... rd 3, D Moore​

You mean like this? We doubled up on first round picks in 2016, 2019, and 2020. The difference between Zegras and Drysdale with the rest of the picks is that they're both top-10 picks. Everyone else was selected 23rd overall or further. By historical percentage, top-10 picks have a higher percentage of making it in the NHL. The closer you are to #1, the better the chances of a player becoming an NHL player. Although we selected Zegras at #9 overall, some GMs had him pegged 3rd overall.

Acquiring Drysdale is very significant as he'll be an addition to the defense that already boasts Lindholm and Fowler. Drysdale wouldn't be seen as a needed savior, but solidifying a defensive corps to become even better. And it looks like we might have steals in D Thrun and D LaCombe in the far future.

Zegras is the only prospect that is getting the savior title only because of what he's accomplished since his draft year. He had 9 assists in limited minutes for the 2020 WJC's, looked great at Boston U, got ranked as the #1 overall NHL prospect for 2020, and then became 2021 WJC MVP in helping team USA win the gold medal. Then factor in the Ducks have had trouble scoring for the past few years and the savior title looms bigger. It may time some time before Zegras can become a established NHL'er, but he's going to need some help. Thank goodness the organization will have Scrooge McDuck (Gibson for greedily blocking shots) with his three nephews Huey, Dewey, and Louie (Lindholm, Drysdale, and Hakanpaa... just kidding, sorta, Fowler). The defense that Silf and Heinen bring to the table is invaluable as well as the fourth line! It's everywhere else that's up in the air for our forward group. We got this year to see any development to add with Zegras.

Make no mistake, Zegras has risen to the occasion ever since we drafted him. GM Murray asked Zegras to lead team USA to a gold medal and Zegras did just that. Did you see Zegras make that bold statement before the gold medal game that team USA will be the only team that will take it to the Canada? Geez! It's kinda difficult to not be amazed. LoL I was one of those fans that wanted to keep Zegras in the NCAA too!

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Calgary is not adding a 1st to Bennet for Rakell lol

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Calgary is not adding a 1st to Bennet for Rakell lol

I think bennet + 1st/zary/Pelletier for rakell with retention is pretty good move for calgary and anaheim.

Specially if bennet is wanting to leave... guy has 13 points in his last 61 games.... not sure what you think they are expecting in a bennet trade... but bennet value at most right now is prob a 2nd/3rd round pick... rakell is prob worth a 1st + 2nd pretty easily.

Rakell has 45 in 66... while shooting 2.7% this year... on a team with absolutely no offensive/power play ability.

Bennet at best is a 30ish point 3c... rakell at best is a 60ish point player.

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
2015: rd 1, 27th D Larsson
.......... rd 2, C Nattinen (just did not pan out in NA)
.......... rd 5, RW Terry

2016: rd 1, 24th LW Jones
.......... rd 1, 30th C Steel
.......... rd 3, D Mahura

2017: rd 2, Comtois

2018: rd 1, 23rd C Lundestrom
.......... rd 2, C Groulx
.......... rd 3, LW McLaughlin
.......... rd 3, G Dostal

2019: rd 1, 9th C Zegras
.......... rd 1, 28th LW Tracey
.......... rd 2, D LaCombe
.......... rd 4, D Thrun

2020: rd 1, 6th D Drysdale
........... rd 1, 27th RW Perreault
........... rd 2, RW Colangelo
........... rd 3, D Moore​

You mean like this? We doubled up on first round picks in 2016, 2019, and 2020. The difference between Zegras and Drysdale with the rest of the picks is that they're both top-10 picks. Everyone else was selected 23rd overall or further. By historical percentage, top-10 picks have a higher percentage of making it in the NHL. The closer you are to #1, the better the chances of a player becoming an NHL player. Although we selected Zegras at #9 overall, some GMs had him pegged 3rd overall.

Acquiring Drysdale is very significant as he'll be an addition to the defense that already boasts Lindholm and Fowler. Drysdale wouldn't be seen as a needed savior, but solidifying a defensive corps to become even better. And it looks like we might have steals in D Thrun and D LaCombe in the far future.

Zegras is the only prospect that is getting the savior title only because of what he's accomplished since his draft year. He had 9 assists in limited minutes for the 2020 WJC's, looked great at Boston U, got ranked as the #1 overall NHL prospect for 2020, and then became 2021 WJC MVP in helping team USA win the gold medal. Then factor in the Ducks have had trouble scoring for the past few years and the savior title looms bigger. It may time some time before Zegras can become a established NHL'er, but he's going to need some help. Thank goodness the organization will have Scrooge McDuck (Gibson for greedily blocking shots) with his three nephews Huey, Dewey, and Louie (Lindholm, Drysdale, and Hakanpaa... just kidding, sorta, Fowler). The defense that Silf and Heinen bring to the table is invaluable as well as the fourth line! It's everywhere else that's up in the air for our forward group. We got this year to see any development to add with Zegras.

Make no mistake, Zegras has risen to the occasion ever since we drafted him. GM Murray asked Zegras to lead team USA to a gold medal and Zegras did just that. Did you see Zegras make that bold statement before the gold medal game that team USA will be the only team that will take it to the Canada? Geez! It's kinda difficult to not be amazed. LoL I was one of those fans that wanted to keep Zegras in the NCAA too!
The percentages of panning out to be a star was 80% in the top 3. In the late teens, the percentage was about 16%.

If we get rid of some of our aging players to some teams that need that extra guy for the push. It will be worth it. Thats why i keep saying we need to dump rakell, silf, and henrique. They will get the most.

Either way, we need more picks to find talent. I wouldnt mind finding a perry or a connor late in the draft. Steel is a good pick as he somewhat emerged this year. So trading silf or henrique or rakell for a prospect like steel would be worth it

Reactions: duckpuck

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
How much value do you think Bennett has? He’s a dime a dozen bottom 6 forward with an outside chance at tapping into some of his potential but it looks unlikely at this point.

they might be able to hustle a 2nd out of a contender.... but i feel like his value is a 3rd + long shot prospect at best.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
We would not get their first rounder next season and bennett for rakell. I don't care what value you think either player has that is not going to happen it's unrealistic.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I doubt anyone trades their first that is not on top half of standings this year, especially with expansion draft coming.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
The percentages of panning out to be a star was 80% in the top 3. In the late teens, the percentage was about 16%.

If we get rid of some of our aging players to some teams that need that extra guy for the push. It will be worth it. Thats why i keep saying we need to dump rakell, silf, and henrique. They will get the most.

Either way, we need more picks to find talent. I wouldnt mind finding a perry or a connor late in the draft. Steel is a good pick as he somewhat emerged this year. So trading silf or henrique or rakell for a prospect like steel would be worth it
The thing about Zegras is we already have seen great deal since his draft year which boosts his probability. Look at Turcotte at 5 compared to him. He has already started playing well in SD..or Irvine. Every step where he continues to impress the odds go up. We all acknowledge that every player is a risk but have been very excite from what we have seen and so has fans across the rest of the NHL. Its been a long time since we had an asset like him in the system. Drysdale on the other hand is much more of a ?. He just hasn't shown as much even though I will say he has exceeded my expectations to date.

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
Bennett is a perfect fit for the Ducks. I hope we get him, still a chance he elevates his game and becomes a 40-50 point centerman that is solid defensively and extremely gritty. Let's not forget he was the 4th overall pick the same year we drafted Ritchie.

I'm not opposed to bringing in DeAngelo, especially if he is given big minutes this year, he could put up a lot of points. If we can keep his attitude in check and have him putting up points, we could flip him at the end of the year. Whether the rumors are true or not, he is a damn good OFD. 53 points in 68 games last year as a 24 year old. I won't get into his off ice issues, because if we can sort it out, we have a real gamer. Let's also not forget that Getz called the ref a Homophobic Slur a few years back. Everyone makes mistakes and if we can correct DeAngelos, it could be a huge W

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Bennett is a perfect fit for the Ducks. I hope we get him, still a chance he elevates his game and becomes a 40-50 point centerman that is solid defensively and extremely gritty. Let's not forget he was the 4th overall pick the same year we drafted Ritchie.

I'm not opposed to bringing in DeAngelo, especially if he is given big minutes this year, he could put up a lot of points. If we can keep his attitude in check and have him putting up points, we could flip him at the end of the year. Whether the rumors are true or not, he is a damn good OFD. 53 points in 68 games last year as a 24 year old. I won't get into his off ice issues, because if we can sort it out, we have a real gamer. Let's also not forget that Getz called the ref a Homophobic Slur a few years back. Everyone makes mistakes and if we can correct DeAngelos, it could be a huge W

There’s a huge difference between using the word Getzlaf used and the history DeAngelo has. I can’t even believe you’re comparing the situations.

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
There’s a huge difference between using the word Getzlaf used and the history DeAngelo has. I can’t even believe you’re comparing the situations.
I am using it to show that everyone has flaws and slips up at times , I’m not saying what getzlaf did is at the same severity as DeAngelos. I am just pointing out even our captain slips up

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

You do know you don't often get more than one top-3 pick in a draft. You're selling established NHL'ers so you can repeat the decade of mediocrity of the Oil? Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it.

It's as if you didn't read the list of talent from 2015 forward and are instead choosing to be willfully ignorant. If we falter again this year, then we'll get another top-10 selection. That would give the Ducks three top-10 selections, but you think that's not enough and want to remove three NHL'ers from our team to await for prospects drafted in the next draft forward? That could take three to four years until they might become established. Again, this is the Oil template of a decade of mediocrity.

Steel was drafted in 2016. It's been five years since Steel's draft year and we're still hoping that Steel can pan out. Steel with other youths was disastrous this seasons thus far as they kept being hemmed in. Steel surrounded by NHL talent and Steel doesn't look so helpless. In this microcosm of an example, it's evident that having a team full of youngster could only lead to faltering. That's what the 2019-20 season was all about, the youth movement: C Steel, LW Comtois, LW Jones, RW Terry, C Lundestrom, D Larsson, and D Guhle. Not a single one of them took step forward last year. That's a second example of a microcosm of playing mostly youths and failing.

Again, you purposely didn't acknowledge the list of prospects we have (or had in case of Nattinen) since 2015 and are still waiting on. I can only lead a horse to water.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I see Bennett as a 3C, low end 2C with our team. I'd still take him as he does add center talent to a team who's known for mass injuries and one Rico missing his mojo. Boasting a 4C's (he's a 4C with the Flames) 4th overall draft status isn't a high point for Bennett. That's like us boasting we traded for the #3 pick overall from the 2010 draft! Do you know who that player is?

That was D Erik Gudbranson.

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
I see Bennett as a 3C, low end 2C with our team. I'd still take him as he does add center talent to a team who's known for mass injuries and one Rico missing his mojo. Boasting a 4C's (he's a 4C with the Flames) 4th overall draft status isn't a high point for Bennett. That's like us boasting we traded for the #3 pick overall from the 2010 draft! Do you know who that player is?

That was D Erik Gudbranson.
I'm not boasting his draft status, I was mentioning it to show that there still might be some untapped potential given his draft position.

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
There’s a difference between the odd minor slip up and DeAngelos history.
I literally said that what getzlaf did is not at the same severity as DeAngelos. I was trying to show that even our captain can slip up, never once saying it was anywhere near DeAngelo. If DeAngelo comes to Anaheim and a player like Getz puts him in check and DeAngelo learns from his past mistakes, it might be a trade worth pulling off. If he does cause issues, the Ducks can just buy him out

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I literally said that what getzlaf did is not at the same severity as DeAngelos. I was trying to show that even our captain can slip up, never once saying it was anywhere near DeAngelo. If DeAngelo comes to Anaheim and a player like Getz puts him in check and DeAngelo learns from his past mistakes, it might be a trade worth pulling off. If he does cause issues, the Ducks can just buy him out
deangelo is far past the point of "learning from past mistakes"

this team has enough issues already. don't need someone who will come in and cause problems in the locker room

Reactions: Paul4587 and dracom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad