Speculation: ‘20-21 Trade/Free Agency Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Perhaps it could be something similar to Terry + Rakell for ?
I think your better of moving Rakell solo, and swapping terry with a diff struggling prospect.

I feel like Rakell ends up a leaf.... jets and oilers kinda pushin them a bit Rakell is a versatile winger that is cheap. Leafs also have the assets to make a bigger move if they choose

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Oh i meant ritchies mean streak/physicality.... comtois is big but no where near ritchies physicality/meanness.
Comtois is like a gentle giant

Ritchie's mean streak was/is completely overrated. He rarely dropped the gloves. He did generate hits, but it also resulted in a bunch of bad penalties.

Comtois is still young and not as big as Ritchie. I expect the physicality will develop, but he's a far better skater than Ritchie. Ritchie's had a great shot but his skating meant he seldom got it off. Comtois has already shown he can get to spots where you score goals, which puts him way ahead of where Ritchie is/was.

Trading a 23 year old who does creative things with the puck and still has top 6 upside wouldn’t be my first choice.

The fact that he's 23 and still unproductive and wildly inconsistent seems like a red flag, doesn't it? I'm not saying give him away, but he's far from untouchable.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
The fact that he's 23 and still unproductive and wildly inconsistent seems like a red flag, doesn't it? I'm not saying give him away, but he's far from untouchable.

Yes, but he is really only in his third pro season. It’s unfortunate he doesn’t have AHL eligibility.

I also don’t think he is untouchable, but I don’t want him moved for another Heinen.

Reactions: duckpuck

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Thats why i think they should package up Terry with another prospect for a quantity for quality trade but the problem is who would be the quality they'd target in a trade ?
Terry has shown he's very streaky, he has that big game vs Colorado and then goes back to sucking.

Reactions: duckpuck

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
The College/Euro free agent season has officially begun: Josh Dunne (C) signs with Columbus.

This is a very good thread to keep an eye on. Some interesting rumors and tips on potential signees. I hope that we take a look at some KHL guys, especially Konstantin Okulov from CSKA.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Terry's upside is that he gives you the occasional difficult to pull off offensive play like that goal against Colorado. That sort of difference-making can't be taught so you wanna give it every chance to succeed.

His problem is that he's a black hole of consistent suck outside of those plays. He makes the wrong pass constantly, misfires the right pass when he finds it, gets bumped off the puck and off his feet way too easily for a guy his size, and has shockingly stone hands. If he already has the puck solidly under control, he can dangle pretty well. But he really struggles to settle down pucks as they come to him.

When you watch him play, count how many times per game the puck goes to him or his vicinity and then the next player to possess it is an opponent. It happens constantly, often multiple times per shift. Hockey is a possession game until you get to the scoring areas, and Terry is where possession goes to die. He's often the opposing PK's best player.

Fans see the two goals in Colorado get jazzed. I'm a fan, I was jazzed, they were jazzy goals. But scouts also see the first shift after his second goal, where the Ducks tried to break out through him on the half boards three times in 45 seconds and he turned the puck over under minimal pressure all three times. The two goals is unusual for him, the puck yakking is not.

The potential is there, sure. You can't teach his size and you can't teach his offensive skill. If he could become functional at all the little stuff, he has top 6 potential.

But I don't see how that makes him much different than, say, Sprong.

Last edited:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Terry’s numbers...

90284828-ECA7-4715-A53C-2C87492156B8.jpeg

Reactions: Goose of Reason

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Wow, those metrics love Terry and hate Steel, especially Steel's defense.

I prefer to keep Terry over Steel if it came to that. Steel always seems to mess up 2 on 1’s and odd man rushes, and has made some brutal turnovers. I mean Terry has made turnovers also but can’t recall any of them ending up in the back of Anaheim’s net.

I am actually glad the Terry rumor was not legit, really like to see him play out this contract and see what he can do with more skill around him. He’s only 23 and don’t think they should give up on him yet. That last goal he scored was a thing of beauty so the skill is there just needs a bigger push and more consistency and on this Ducks team really can’t fault him too much for the lack of points.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Some other fun indications from that site.

1) Adam Henrique in the 90th percentile of NHLers for xGF/60 relative to teammates this season (if I'm reading it right, which I may not be). Henrique is apparently *significantly* better at creating xGF/60 than Ricky Rakell, who is barely above average relative to his teammates at creating offense.

2) Shattenkirk is a nearly elite offensive player in 2021, with an especially useful presence on the power play. He's also much more valuable than Hakanpaa. He's a little more valuable than Lindholm.

3) Lundestrom has a 91st percentile shot

I have nothing but a healthy respect for well-proven advanced analytics in the hands of professionals. I'm probably not gonna defer to this site too hard.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
I prefer to keep Terry over Steel if it came to that. Steel always seems to mess up 2 on 1’s and odd man rushes, and has made some brutal turnovers. I mean Terry has made turnovers also but can’t recall any of them ending up in the back of Anaheim’s net.

I am actually glad the Terry rumor was not legit, really like to see him play out this contract and see what he can do with more skill around him. He’s only 23 and don’t think they should give up on him yet. That last goal he scored was a thing of beauty so the skill is there just needs a bigger push and more consistency and on this Ducks team really can’t fault him too much for the lack of points.

People here seem to act like this is the make or break year for Terry. He's on the first year of a new contract! Its absolutely not make or break time for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad