Speculation: ‘20-21 Trade/Free Agency Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
It's pretty rare that an NHL team utilizes a player as a teenager and then trades him shortly after. Not saying it doesn't happen at all, but typically if a team likes a young player that much, he's just not going to be on the table.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I was on board with trading Rakell earlier, but he’s now a staple on the line with developing Comtois & Lundy. Think he’s worth keeping just for those 2.
I’m all for keeping Rakell if we think we can resign him. He’s a good compliment for any type of playmaker.

comtois zegras Rakell could be a good line to try out next year or later this year

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’m all for keeping Rakell if we think we can resign him. He’s a good compliment for any type of playmaker.

comtois zegras Rakell could be a good line to try out next year or later this year

I feel the same way. I don’t think he is going to be too expensive to re-sign. Rakell seems like he wants to be in Anaheim still and I can’t fault him on his production when the entire team has struggled as a whole. If he truly wants to stay, then let them try and work out a deal next year.

The idea is to add scoring and offense not take it away. I just hate to lose him for a pick in a lack luster draft, which would be a late 1st anyway.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I feel the same way. I don’t think he is going to be too expensive to re-sign. Rakell seems like he wants to be in Anaheim still and I can’t fault him on his production when the entire team has struggled as a whole. If he truly wants to stay, then let them try and work out a deal next year.

The idea is to add scoring and offense not take it away. I just hate to lose him for a pick in a lack luster draft, which would be a late 1st anyway.
I like Lundestrom as a prospect but MC and Raks could really use a center upgrade IMO.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA

If the 2022 draft is supposed to be a lot better, it might be better to hold on to Rakell and trade him next year anyways (if a deal can't be worked out).

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I like Lundestrom as a prospect but MC and Raks could really use a center upgrade IMO.
Well, the hope is that Lundestrom develops into that guy somewhat over the next couple months. The only real upgrade that could be given to them is Getzlaf and he isn’t being taken from Terry right now.

Henrique has looked awful, way worse than Lundy. And steel is inconsistent.

So unless your talking about a trade, not a whole lot of options internally. Our center situation is not good. And we have no one in San Diego who is going to come help there really.

Murray’s top priority moving forward has to be goal scoring centers and offenseive defensemen who generate chances. We’re so deficient in those areas it’s almost hard to believe

Reactions: Mr Rogers

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Steel? Not sure when Zegras comes up he will be at center. Gulls have him playing the wings now. Ducks need to go after a 1c/upper 2c. If they can do it while keeping Players like Comtois, Rakell, and Zegras would be ecstatic!

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Well, the hope is that Lundestrom develops into that guy somewhat over the next couple months. The only real upgrade that could be given to them is Getzlaf and he isn’t being taken from Terry right now.

So unless your talking about a trade, not a whole lot of options internally. Our center situation is not good. And we have no one in San Diego who is going to come help there really.

Murray’s top priority moving forward has to be goal scoring centers and offenseive defensemen who generate chances. We’re so deficient in those areas it’s almost hard to believe

Steel? Not sure when Zegras comes up he will be at center. Gulls have him playing the wings now. Ducks need to go after a 1c/upper 2c. If they can do it while keeping Players like Comtois, Rakell, and Zegras would be ecstatic!
I was speaking mostly in generalities but I would like to try Steel there. I agree about Rico. There is an issue there that needs to be rectified. To be honest I'm more attached to our winger pairings then our centers. We could probably try changing them all around to try and find a bit more production.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary

Playmaking centres would be greatly appreciated as well. Even if Zegras ends up at C, just him won't be enough IMO

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
If Lundy and Steel end up producing the same amount of offense in their prime which seems very possible, Lundestrom probably becomes the team's future 2C because he's got a better defensive tool set, also faster and slightly bigger. That's assuming that Zegras becomes the 1C and they don't sign Barkov or RNH.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
One of Henrique or Silf has to move on hate to say it.

Wonder if they could do like Silf for Debrusk trade. Silf has good playoff numbers and experience. Would get a similar production player who is 6 years younger. Not sure though.

As per Henrique, maybe can send an asset to Seattle to take him at the expansion draft. Not sure what it would cost. Maybe a 2nd round pick?

Sorry for the NYR comparisons but Henrique and Zibanejad are having the same exact type of season. It’s scary from my perspective. Both coming off very strong seasons last year, their best I believe and both are nowhere to be found on the ice and just aren’t making an impact this year.

Maybe can try and move just Silf and hope Henrique can get back to a 40 point/20 goal guy. Which is good depth to have if he is the 3C moving forward.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
One of Henrique or Silf has to move on hate to say it.

Wonder if they could do like Silf for Debrusk trade. Silf has good playoff numbers and experience. Would get a similar production player who is 6 years younger. Not sure though.

As per Henrique, maybe can send an asset to Seattle to take him at the expansion draft. Not sure what it would cost. Maybe a 2nd round pick?

Sorry for the NYR comparisons but Henrique and Zibanejad are having the same exact type of season. It’s scary from my perspective. Both coming off very strong seasons last year, their best I believe and both are nowhere to be found on the ice and just aren’t making an impact this year.

Maybe can try and move just Silf and hope Henrique can get back to a 40 point/20 goal guy. Which is good depth to have if he is the 3C moving forward.

I would much rather keep Silfverberg then Henrique if I had to choose to keep one. He atleast has a great defensive game. Henrique has been terrible.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I would much rather keep Silfverberg then Henrique if I had to choose to keep one. He atleast has a great defensive game. Henrique has been terrible.

Issue is will be hard to trade Henrique with that contract, look at Johnson in Tampa. Similar players and both very serviceable just pretty high cap hits with term. Silf has value and can maybe trade for a younger roster player with similar production, other team gets a more experienced vet with playoff experience.

Ducks best bet is to hope Henrique returns to form. I mean less than a year ago Henrique had one of his best seasons on a poor offensive Ducks team, and led the team in goals and points. You just don’t fall off like that unless something is to blame, and well this season has had a number of excuses to point at.

Reactions: JabbaJabba
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Issue is will be hard to trade Henrique with that contract, look at Johnson in Tampa. Similar players and both very serviceable just pretty high cap hits with term. Silf has value and can maybe trade for a younger roster player with similar production, other team gets a more experienced vet with playoff experience.

Ducks best bet is to hope Henrique returns to form. I mean less than a year ago Henrique had one of his best seasons on a poor offensive Ducks team, and led the team in goals and points. You just don’t fall off like that unless something is to blame, and well this season has had a number of excuses to point at.

I don't know if that's a great comparison, the situations are very different. Tampa's desperate, they can't take money back and Johnson has a full NTC. Those three reasons are why he's still there and don't really apply here. The money does make it hard, pretty much any trade nowadays has to have similar money in and out, but I don't think nearly impossible.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't know if that's a great comparison, the situations are very different. Tampa's desperate, they can't take money back and Johnson has a full NTC. Those three reasons are why he's still there and don't really apply here. The money does make it hard, pretty much any trade nowadays has to have similar money in and out, but I don't think nearly impossible.

That’s true, Ducks aren’t desperate like Tampa is, I was comparing more the cap hit, player, and contract length. Plus, if Henrique can reform back to what he did last season, it’s good depth to have say on the 3rd line, if they can really add to their Top 6. Dropping Henrique to 3C wouldn’t be a bad thing if he can still hit 20 goals/40 points.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
It's pretty rare that an NHL team utilizes a player as a teenager and then trades him shortly after. Not saying it doesn't happen at all, but typically if a team likes a young player that much, he's just not going to be on the table.

Sure and I think that that's why it's not likely to happen, but if Bob was to trade Rakell in a hypothetical, that would be my ask. I do not want him taking futures for our most valuable (re: only) trade chip to aid the Leafs with a Kerfoot cap dump under any circumstances.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland

Any idea if Henrique had corona? Could explain his play. I doubt this organization would give out information if anyone has had it.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Any idea if Henrique had corona? Could explain his play. I doubt this organization would give out information if anyone has had it.

I dunno. I know Zibanejad for the Rangers did. He currently has 3 points in 15 games, after having a 75 points in 57 games season, and prior to that 74 points in 81 games. Something is definitely wrong, cannot say those seasons were flukes. Both Henrique and Mika look uncomfortable and not in sync and a step behind. With Rakell he has been just unlucky as hell but playing very well. I don’t think its laziness or not caring for Henrique but I could be wrong. Both players just look lost and a step behind and uncoordinated. I just see a lot of similarities and they are just not engaging as much. Likely fatigue setting into play.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Now that we broke the glass ceiling on Russians in the last draft, how about signing one next?

Damir Zhafyarov (RW) is rumored to be "determined to go to North America", at least Detroit and Chicago* seem to be after him. Currently 3rd in the KHL in scoring while NOT playing for any of the traditional powerhouse teams (SKA, CSKA, etc). Damir hits UFA next offseason and was never drafted, so it's anyone's game.

It's tough to find video on him, as the KHL has geoblocked most of their stuff, but here's one highlight clip. And yes, that's our old pal Justin Kloos from San Diego that's playing with him.

I know, it doesn't seem likely that he would ever sign here. Wishful thinking, that's all.

* Say what you want about the way that team has been run in the past few years, but their Euro scouting has been MONEY.

Last edited:

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
Now that we broke the glass ceiling on Russians in the last draft, how about signing one next?

Damir Zhafyarov (RW) is rumored to be "determined to go to North America", at least Detroit and Chicago* seem to be after him. Currently 3rd in the KHL in scoring while NOT playing for any of the traditional powerhouse teams (SKA, CSKA, etc). Damir hits UFA next offseason and was never drafted, so it's anyone's game.

It's tough to find video on him, as the KHL has geoblocked most of their stuff, but here's one highlight clip. And yes, that's our old pal Justin Kloos from San Diego that's playing with him.

I know, it doesn't seem likely that he would ever sign here. Wishful thinking, that's all.

* Say what you want about the way that team has been run in the past few years, but their Euro scouting has been MONEY.

I'd be fine approaching him. His stats look pretty nuts given that KHL usually has only very few players even hitting 50 points in a season, let alone 60+. With that being said, I think it might be even better to approach Teemu Hartikainen of Salavat Yulaev UFA. While not being a great skater, he is a big body to move around the net (1.86m/106kg) and he possesses a pretty wicked shot from between the dots, which could (potentially) make him valuable on the PP in front of the net with players like Comtois on the off-wing and Zegras driving the play from the strong side. He is currently second in KHL scoring with 60 points in 46 games (26g, 34a) and has already played in North America before. His stats in the NHL don't look impressive, but one should remember he was on the dumpster-fire Oilers between 2010 and 2013, so there was pretty much no chance to shine whatsoever for him. Contract runs through 21/22 on an option as far as I know. My best guess would be he could very well leave the option be if offered a contract in the NHL.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
I'd be fine approaching him. His stats look pretty nuts given that KHL usually has only very few players even hitting 50 points in a season, let alone 60+. With that being said, I think it might be even better to approach Teemu Hartikainen of Salavat Yulaev UFA. While not being a great skater, he is a big body to move around the net (1.86m/106kg) and he possesses a pretty wicked shot from between the dots, which could (potentially) make him valuable on the PP in front of the net with players like Comtois on the off-wing and Zegras driving the play from the strong side. He is currently second in KHL scoring with 60 points in 46 games (26g, 34a) and has already played in North America before. His stats in the NHL don't look impressive, but one should remember he was on the dumpster-fire Oilers between 2010 and 2013, so there was pretty much no chance to shine whatsoever for him. Contract runs through 21/22 on an option as far as I know. My best guess would be he could very well leave the option be if offered a contract in the NHL.

Hartikainen said on a local podcast (1h21 and onwards, unfortunately only in Finnish) that he thinks an NHL return wouldn't make sense for him. He doubts his ability to adapt to current NHL speed in his age, plus he likes his current role and contract situation/salary in the KHL.

Another KHL guy to consider is Konstantin Okulov (RW/C). Leading scorer for CSKA, slightly younger than the aforementioned Zhafyarov. Prior to the start of the season, @Caser wrote in his article that he believed Okulov to be a "level above" to Zhafyarov, would be interesting to hear if his opinion has changed during the course of the season.

Reactions: Magnus the Duck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad