Confirmed with Link: Zidlicky and Devils have agreed to a one year deal

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
I don't think Fayne has anywhere near the defensive acumen Santini projects to have. Not a knock on Fayne at all, I think he's terrific, but nobody's ever compared Fayne to Rod Longway.

At this point, I think Jim is right. We run with what we have and anticipate Urbom/Burlon/Gelinas/Merrill will get time as injury call-ups. The chance that all of Volchenkov/Salvador/Zidlicky stay healthy the whole season is negligible, given age and general ailments.

Santini has been compared to Rod Langway?

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Santini has been compared to Rod Langway?
Wow, that's a bad spelling mistake on my part. I need to get some sleep. Corrected.

And yeah:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=68458923&postcount=81

Your comparison to Santini? Rod Langway. This kid is a can't miss shut-down stud, his competitiveness is off the charts. ISS had him ranked #17, leading his description with the telling quote: "we never get tired of pumping this kid's tires".

As far as value picks in the 2013 draft go, I rank Santini at #42 third, after Jones at #4 and Nichushkin at #10.

Take it for what it's worth, of course - I once compared Sean Zimmerman to Willie Mitchell, so not all comparisons are created equal - but just the existence of the comparison is eye-opening.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm sorry but "Zidiot"? :huh:

So you're saying he's an idiot for re-signing with us?

No it's just a name I made up for him in GDT's when he would take a dumb penalty, or have a bad breakdown defensively.:laugh:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't think Fayne has anywhere near the defensive acumen Santini projects to have. Not a knock on Fayne at all, I think he's terrific, but nobody's ever compared Fayne to Rod Langway.

At this point, I think Jim is right. We run with what we have and anticipate Urbom/Burlon/Gelinas/Merrill will get time as injury call-ups. The chance that all of Volchenkov/Salvador/Zidlicky stay healthy the whole season is negligible, given age and general ailments.

Most definitely, I mean it has been years since Volch has played a full season hasn't it? Pretty much guaranteed he will go down. Still if Lou somehow finds the opportunity to unload Volch he should take it. The extra cap space alone could prove really useful during the season if he wants to make tweaks or go for a bigger trade towards the deadline. Worst case ya if a kid wins a spot he can spend some time in the press box.

These six guys were the D that got us within two wins of the most coveted. So if it is these six again, with stronger goaltending behind them I am fine going to war like this. Just take Larsson off the leash, time for the kid to step up and start playing big minutes. And if a kid impresses out of camp let them have their shot and see if they stick.

Just no more scratching Larsson and Fayne please and thank you.

Zids wasn't brought back for potential deadline trades, he is here to PP QB us and help us win. Lou is in complete win now mode. He wants Marty to get that 4th before it is to late.

rrekaj13

Jun 15, 2012
New Jersey
Even though I too would like to see Volch moved so a younger guy can move up, there's nothing wrong with letting them develop another year and pulling 1-2 up next year after Zids contact expires & Volch is bought out.

No need to rush a young guy to the press box. Let them play #1-4 in the AHL

theking72

Confucius Ackbar
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
NJ
odf21yjpiphone_zps95d5f1be.jpg

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I think if there was any possible trade for Volchenkov, it would have been made. I hope we use our second compliance buyout on him next summer.

It will probably happen and hopefully any of our young guys can step up this year and give Lou the confidence to pull the trigger and get rid of that awful contract.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
That's because he didn't.

This pretty much confirms the suspicions those of us who called BS on $4.5M per year on a multi-year Zids contract had.

Do you always have to play the cynic on every little thing? Even if the 2-9 was agent BS or KHL-related I'm pretty sure Zid would have gotten more than an incentive-laden 1/3 on another team with the stupid money 'routinely' thrown around by NHL GM's.

NJDevilsZG

I'll drive team bus
Nov 3, 2010
Zagreb, Croatia
Well I'm more than happy with Zid returning on 1y/3Mill contract. We are better with him in the lineup. And obviously Lou thought we need him for another try to get Marty one more ring :D
Do not mind Clarkie leaving regardless of that crazy money he got. I think that after this team got into funk last season, some kind of shakeup could be expected.
When our RFAs sign, we're all going to say Lou went through this offseason with flying colours :nod:

OOOOIIIO

Binary
Jul 25, 2010
Nashua, NH
CapGeek @capgeek
Marek Zidlicky's deal is $3M plus $1M in performance bonuses if he appears in 25 games. Also has NTC. #NHL #NJDevils capgeek.com/player/930

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
CapGeek @capgeek
Marek Zidlicky's deal is $3M plus $1M in performance bonuses if he appears in 25 games. Also has NTC. #NHL #NJDevils capgeek.com/player/930

So guess one of Salvador or Volchenkov are going out the door.

The bonus money money is just so if Lou can't move them that can roll over to next year.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i hate zid more than anybody here, and im completely ok with this contract. im even more ok with lou's implications of dumping a defenseman (28)

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 53m

One year, $3 million for Zidlicky's new contract with Devils. That includes games-played bonuses.

---------------------

TG's tweet seems to imply $3 million is the whole hit and the entire deal, including the bonus. Since TG reported it like that the games threshold for bonus is likely absurdly low.

The bonus is probably there to give the Devils some extra wiggle room against the top of this years cap if they need it.

CapGeek @capgeek

These don't jive.

And a NTC. There goes the deadline deal if we're out of the playoff hunt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad