Confirmed with Link: Zidlicky and Devils have agreed to a one year deal

devlzfan

Aug 28, 2007
Farmingdale, NY
Now I have a problem with it. Every million counts. It's unlike TG to get something wrong, so I'm hoping capgeek is wrong. I'd give him the NTC if the cap hit was only $3M. $4 million AND a NTC, that's a tough sell.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
You don't think he would waive in a contract year to go to a playoff team?

Exactly. Especially given he is a UFA again at end of year. Would anyone really want to lame duck their way through the end of the year on a bad team?

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Now I have a problem with it. Every million counts. It's unlike TG to get something wrong, so I'm hoping capgeek is wrong. I'd give him the NTC if the cap hit was only $3M. $4 million AND a NTC, that's a tough sell.

$4,187,500 to sign Henrique and Josefson. It's probably closer to $4.75M since a forward will have to be moved or sent down to get them both in. That's very doable. If Lou hits a home run and moves a defenseman, we have some extra cap.

OOOOIIIO

Binary
Jul 25, 2010
Nashua, NH
$4,187,500 to sign Henrique and Josefson. It's probably closer to $4.75M since a forward will have to be moved or sent down to get them both in. That's very doable. If Lou hits a home run and moves a defenseman, we have some extra cap.

We can push the bonus money to next year's cap number. We have plenty of money at this point.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
On a one-year deal the extra million really doesn't bother me. We can fit Henrique and Josefson, and it's reasonable to think our roster will be done with those two.

devlzfan

Aug 28, 2007
Farmingdale, NY
I found the answer......

"Under the collective bargaining agreement struck in 2013, a performance bonus cushion is in place for all years of the deal, including the last one in 2021-22.

The performance bonus cushion allows teams to exceed the upper limit with performance bonuses to a maximum of 7.5 percent of the upper limit.

For example, if the upper limit is $64,300,000, teams can exceed it by $4,822,500 in performance bonuses. Any performances bonuses in excess of that total do not fall into the cushion and are counted as part of the team's cap payroll.

Any performance bonuses actually earned at season's end (ie. for games played, awards, all-star teams, etc.) are then added to the team's final cap payroll. The catch with the cushion is that if the bonuses earned at year's end push the team past the upper limit, the overage is carried over as a penalty the following season."

That still doesn't explain why TG said $3 million including bonuses.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If you're seriously worried about a no-trade on a one-year deal I don't know what to tell you.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I think TG just used poor wording. I'll take Capgeek's number as the real one.
Always assume capgeek is right. I was wondering if those performance bonuses weren't on top of the $3M base, not included in the $3M number. It's still not bad. The effective cap hit is $3M and worst case scenario we take $1M in extra cap hit next season - when Zidlicky is probably coming off the cap for good. It's fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
Zids, even on this contract, is a necessity as a stop gap in case our younger players can't elevate their game this year. I'm surprised it's not a 2 year deal to be frank.

Last edited:

Officer Rod Farva

Pump is Life
Feb 12, 2010
I don't like the 4 mill cap hit, I said it. I know we can still probably fit Henrique and Josefson in, but it hinders us to make a deadline trade if we are in the hunt.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
Oldie, but a goodie:

images

Back to Zids we go.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I don't like the 4 mill cap hit, I said it. I know we can still probably fit Henrique and Josefson in, but it hinders us to make a deadline trade if we are in the hunt.
Remember, cap space expands over time. We're going to have injuries, someone's going to spend time on LTIR. It's hard to not have cap space at the trade deadline.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't know why so many people are unhappy with this deal. As someone said, Lou is in win now mode. Bringing back Zidlicky right now seems like a better move than someone unproven, although I would like to see someone new brought up if we can ship out Volchenkov.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Zids, even on this contract, is a necessity as a stop gap in case our younger players can't elevate their game this year. I'm surprised it's not a 2 year deal to be frank.

im surprised too, but for me its a pleasant surprise lol

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Please tell me I'm not the only one here who doesn't actually consider Peter Harrold a 6th defenseman...

I don't consider him a 6th defenseman at all. Though I would take him over Volchenkov at this point. He's a number 7 on most teams though, could be a number 6 on a depleted defensive corps.

DevilChuk*

The $1M bonus only counts against the cap IF he hits the statistical requirements. Also, if we don't end up having room to absorb the entire $1M cap hit this year.. we can 'pay' off the remainder next year.

Not really the biggest of issues and won't impede how we operate this year at all.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Please tell me I'm not the only one here who doesn't actually consider Peter Harrold a 6th defenseman...

I think he is the clear #7 whether we trade Volch or not. And he brings the add bonus of providing some fwd depth.

Though I would not mind him as a #6. From what I've seen he is a capable player.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
The $1M bonus only counts against the cap IF he hits the statistical requirements. Also, if we don't end up having room to absorb the entire $1M cap hit this year.. we can 'pay' off the remainder next year.

Not really the biggest of issues and won't impede how we operate this year at all.
The statistical requirements are play at least 25 games. He'll make it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad