Confirmed with Link: Zidlicky and Devils have agreed to a one year deal

JMarce

Feb 4, 2012
Tom Gulitti@TGfireandice
One year, $3 million for Zidlicky's new contract with Devils. That includes games-played bonuses.

amazing signing. some offseason Lou is having.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
From Lou's interview on Clowe, he saw Clowe as an absolute necessity.

The same necessity as Malakhov and McGillis after Niedermayer left....the whole world knew those two lost 2 steps but it was a necessity.

I'm being somewhat hypocritical because I liked those three signings at the time...especially cause I went to Northeastern with Dan....but the whole world was telling us that those two including Mogilny lost a step and we just made excuses.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
That leaves the Devils with about 4.6 million to get Josefson anf Henrique signed. That accounts for them sitting at 22 men on the roster now and a depth forward is likely to be traded or cutnin camp (adds abot 500k to the cap room listed on capgeek)

TaiMaiShu

Aug 12, 2005
The same necessity as Malakhov and McGillis after Niedermayer left....the whole world knew those two lost 2 steps but it was a necessity.

I'm being somewhat hypocritical because I liked those three signings at the time...especially cause I went to Northeastern with Dan....but the whole world was telling us that those two including Mogilny lost a step and we just made excuses.

Different circumstances. These were more reactionary as Nieds as we all know took his sweet ass time. And I think there was a small window between the time he found out Elias got hit with Hep and the Mogilny signing.

And by all accounts, Lou has wanted Clowe for a while now and had to bid early and strong enough for him to sign.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Different circumstances. These were more reactionary as Nieds as we all know took his sweet ass time. And I think there was a small window between the time he found out Elias got hit with Hep and the Mogilny signing.

And by all accounts, Lou has wanted Clowe for a while now and had to bid early and strong enough for him to sign.

I don't have a crystal ball, but when I see a lot of fans from previous teams say he is slow and has lost a step 3 years ago....it's almost always true. We were warned about Volchenkov from Ottawa fans and in hindsight the assessment was 100% spot on...matter of fact, I think they were kind.

San Jose fans have painted a very bleak picture of Clowe's speed and game and from what I've seen I would tend to agree...now add that contract and it gets uglier.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Why? Fayne is a dime a dozen defenseman. He is not a good puck moving defenseman, he is not physical, he is not fast. The best thing people can say about him is he has a low salary cap hit. His 10-20 points and average at best defense will not be missed.

Here's why it makes sense to move him. Frees up 1.3 mil (we know about cap limits so any bit helps), you trade away your 7th dman who is going to be a UFA and actually get something for him. Since he makes a little money, you should be able to get a better pick than what you got for Tallinder.

In the perfect world, the Devils would trade AV, but it's probably not going to happen. Losing Fayne, frees up a spot for one of our young Dmen. Which is just another added bonus to trading him. A Merrill, or Urbom or (name young dman) should be as good as Fayne is by mid year.

Fayne is one of the best positional defencemen we have. He's the jack of all trades, and you need a guy like that. Fayne is capable of eating more minutes than you'd ever expect from him. That is valuable.

He also has better mobility than you are giving him credit for.

aaronward_nhl: Marek Zidlicky deal with new Jersey Devils is a 1 year deal/ $3 million per with games played incentives #TSN

That's an excellent price for him. I still think we need to dump Sal or Volch to make room for one of the kids, but for now I like our defensive group.

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
1 year at $3m for Zids is a fine deal. I'm surprised, actually, how low it is. I figured someone would give him 3 years/4m (granted that's high)

He helps our team's offense, we're better with him. It's one year.

I'm ok with this.

TaiMaiShu

Aug 12, 2005
I don't have a crystal ball, but when I see a lot of fans from previous teams say he is slow and has lost a step 3 years ago....it's almost always true. We were warned about Volchenkov from Ottawa fans and in hindsight the assessment was 100% spot on...matter of fact, I think they were kind.

San Jose fans have painted a very bleak picture of Clowe's speed and game and from what I've seen I would tend to agree...now add that contract and it gets uglier.

I don't think anyone would argue with this, but I am sure most are/were more weary of the Volch signing than this one at the time.

If Clowe can model the rest of his game to projections like Ryan Smith, than we are good. And this team won't be a fast team at all for the duration of his contract anyhow.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
No one ices their Cup winning roster in October, so I'm fine going into next season with the defensemen that we have.
Lou is not afraid to be active and make tweaks at all points of the season, so I'm not convinced that long this blue line actually stays together too long.

Lou is doing serious serious work since Bettman said "i think youre gonna want to hear this."

:laugh: :laugh:

Official 2013 Off-Season Motto

Off-season? I'll be saying that all season long :laugh:

How have we not yet raged on with this phrase in every subsequent move following the Schneider trade?? How?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Man 1 yr 3 mil for Zid's. That is an incredible deal from the dev's perspective.

One I heard one year, I thought for sure an overpayment for that year was a lock.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I haven't heard a ton from SJ fans :dunno: never had a ton of footspeed to begin with and never relied heavily on it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad