Confirmed with Link: Zidlicky and Devils have agreed to a one year deal

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I don't have a crystal ball, but when I see a lot of fans from previous teams say he is slow and has lost a step 3 years ago....it's almost always true. We were warned about Volchenkov from Ottawa fans and in hindsight the assessment was 100% spot on...matter of fact, I think they were kind.

San Jose fans have painted a very bleak picture of Clowe's speed and game and from what I've seen I would tend to agree...now add that contract and it gets uglier.

Eh, fans say a lot of things.

Clowe does look like an overpayment, and he certainly had a down year in production this past season, but I'll wait and see b4 I get overly concerned.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Lou is proving he is still a wizard. Leaves plenty of room for the RFAs so no need to worry there.

Zids at a good price fills a need. I'm getting excited for camp!!!

I agree with Manilla. How in the hell have we not adapted "You are going to want to hear this" as our motto now?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I like having Zidlicky back on this deal, even if I wound up calling him Zididiot once a game because of a dumb penalty or defensive play.

He took a third less than what he was offered to stay, and took a year shorter than what he was offered.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Your nicknames are tremendous :laugh:.

Thanks. I understand they're not for everybody, but you can't please everyone.

I actually do like Zidlicky, but sometimes he would take a dumb penalty, and it would infuriate me. He kinda sucks in the defensive zone, but that's okay cause we're not playing him in a shutdown role.

He's also a pretty good skater and for those who like speed, I think he's got a decent amount of quickness. He's tremendous skating backwards, but some of his defensive decisions are frustrating. At the very least our PP won't be any worse than last year.

Devils86

Apr 8, 2008
I agree. coming back from injury, less rigorous schedule... I think he'll be better.

I think the reason to move Fayne/Greene is that they are tradeable - they have some value on the open market, Fayne will be looking for a bigger contract.

Its actually going to be a MORE rigorous schedule with the league shutting down for2- 3 weeks for the Olympics. The preliminary schedule reported on XM 92 has the Devils with 22 back to backs. There will be plenty of opportunity for a young D to see time over this 82g schedule

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Is that the official cap hit though? I know there are bonuses involved, but I don't think I read whether the 3 mil is the hit or the entire deal including bonuses.

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 53m

One year, $3 million for Zidlicky's new contract with Devils. That includes games-played bonuses.

---------------------

TG's tweet seems to imply $3 million is the whole hit and the entire deal, including the bonus. Since TG reported it like that the games threshold for bonus is likely absurdly low.

The bonus is probably there to give the Devils some extra wiggle room against the top of this years cap if they need it.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Is that the official cap hit though? I know there are bonuses involved, but I don't think I read whether the 3 mil is the hit or the entire deal including bonuses.

The Devils have re-signed unrestricted free agent defenseman Marek Zidlicky to a one-year contract. The deal is for $3 million including games-played bonuses. (Players 35-or-older who sign one-year contracts are eligible to receive games-played bonuses.) - See more at: http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice#sthash.42aXrLVW.dpuf

Says including soo im guessing 3 mil is the deal

njdss4

Mar 7, 2011
Anaheim
I don't think Lou needed to bring Zid back, but I can't really complain about a low $3M, 1yr deal. Did he get a NTC/NMC? I hope not. I'd love to see him get traded at the deadline this year in a package for someone younger.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
wow, I can't believe he would leave a 2-year 4.5 million dollar deal on the table for a 1-year 3 million with incentives, no matter how much he loves NJ.

That's because he didn't.

This pretty much confirms the suspicions those of us who called BS on $4.5M per year on a multi-year Zids contract had.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I don't think Lou needed to bring Zid back, but I can't really complain about a low $3M, 1yr deal. Did he get a NTC/NMC? I hope not. I'd love to see him get traded at the deadline this year in a package for someone younger.
Why would we trade a powerplay quarterback? And do you really think anyone would give us someone younger?

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
I sincerely doubt Lou is going to move Zid. I'm sure there's a little bit of a gentleman's agreement that in exchange for taking this deal and waiting for Lou, Zid's won't be moved unless he wants to be moved.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Lou has had a great offseason

Honestly him moving Volchenkov is one of those offseason someone just idealizes and imagines about when you think about all the moves he's already made this offseason. It obviously is ideal to move him, but I'm extremely happy with the lineup the team can ice right now and if he could get another offensive D-man at the trade deadline this is a cup winning lineup.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
It's plays like these that just about all of our other defensemen can't do that Zids comes in handy

kiwidevil

Unless Lou has some real magic up his sleeve, I don't see him moving Volchenkov, but I do think this means he gets bought out in next seasons window. As brodeurscups said, "Volch will be spending a lot of time in the press box this year"

Also, moving Fayne for anything other than a really good deal(i.e overpayment) is silly. I see Fayne as what Santini projects to be, a solid Dman who can move the puck. Ideally you would move Volch and have Fayne play all his PK minutes.

Greene - Larsson
Fayne - Rookie
Salvador - Zidlicky

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Unless Lou has some real magic up his sleeve, I don't see him moving Volchenkov, but I do think this means he gets bought out in next seasons window. As brodeurscups said, "Volch will be spending a lot of time in the press box this year"

Also, moving Fayne for anything other than a really good deal(i.e overpayment) is silly. I see Fayne as what Santini projects to be, a solid Dman who can move the puck. Ideally you would move Volch and have Fayne play all his PK minutes.

Greene - Larsson
Fayne - Rookie
Salvador - Zidlicky
I don't think Fayne has anywhere near the defensive acumen Santini projects to have. Not a knock on Fayne at all, I think he's terrific, but nobody's ever compared Fayne to Rod Langway.

At this point, I think Jim is right. We run with what we have and anticipate Urbom/Burlon/Gelinas/Merrill will get time as injury call-ups. The chance that all of Volchenkov/Salvador/Zidlicky stay healthy the whole season is negligible, given age and general ailments.

Last edited:

kiwidevil

I don't think Fayne has anywhere near the defensive acumen Santini projects to have. Not a knock on Fayne at all, I think he's terrific.

I'm talking more in the way of a defensive Dman who can skate and pass. The same mould.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I'm talking more in the way of a defensive Dman who can skate and pass. The same mould.
True. Lou and Conte have targeted that type of defenseman the last few years. You could argue that every defenseman in our system has a combination of good size, good skating, and good passing. Even Helgeson.

It's a trend I like a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad