Waived: Zadina (Clears) - Contract Terminated, Signs with SJS

Status
Not open for further replies.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
How should I know what happened? I don't work in the Wings front office.

What I DO know: NOWHERE in that clip does he say he doesn't "want to fight for a spot."
"it was tough for me to.. you know, from the bottom starting almost every season. So, it just, like you know, I would rather go somewhere else to get the opportunity"

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
"it was tough for me to.. you know, from the bottom starting almost every season. So, it just, like you know, I would rather go somewhere else to get the opportunity"

Weird comment. I don't really get the message. ???

Starting from the bottom? Sharks is going as deep on next seasons as Red Wings were. Full TANK. We are on a rise. Rising team.

What comes to him as individual, yeah, he had some difficulties. Like missed summer training earlier at career and tough covid. But still don't understand that comment.

Maybe he just can't put the reality in words.

Reality is, that sometimes, just the change of scenery, different people around, different environment, does the thing. You just have better everyday feeling on training and if avoiding injuries, everything could cumulate in a positive way. You get the confidence, and then the road is open.

It happens a lot on sports.

But I just won¨t believe that will happen in Zadina's case. I've seen him enough as a hockeyplayer. Vrana was so explosive and had a snipe shot, even when comparing to this substance user. Zadina is nothing compared to Vrana's talent. Zadina could work hard as hell, and that doesn't make him NHLr. Bottom sixer at maximum, if he can make the transition, but that's very very hard with his profile.

Last edited:
Reactions: Winger98

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I could be in the minority here, but putting blame on Ken Holland for Zadina seems almost... lazy??

Sure, he could've drafted someone else, but it's really hard to throw shade when most at that time thought it was a slam dunk. Perhaps he can get a slight bit of blame for using that loophole or whatever to bring Zadina to the pros when he should've maybe spent another year in junior..... But that's about it...

Otherwise, Holland was completely out of the picture less than a year after Zadina was drafted.

Steve Yzerman on the other hand had a little over 3 years where Zadina likely had some positive value as an asset... obviously not equal to the #6OA pick that was used to draft him, but certainly enough to where he could've garnered some measurable return or to be used in a package for a higher value asset of some sort.

Instead, after 2 disappointing seasons, Yzerman signs him to a pretty silly contract that ends up being the catalyst to Zadina being lost for absolutely nothing.

On top of that, if Yzerman's presser was to be believed, before he found out Zadina wanted out he was fully prepared to give him a 4th season on the roster to hopefully figure things out.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
God I’m so massively disappointed. I was soooo stoked when we drafted him. Stayed a big believer until the end.

But sheesh… he just didn’t score. His effort is there, but that’s all he has it seems. Flashes of brilliance, however. It was overdue and it was evident SY had enough.

Kind of glad he went to SJ; even though they dominated and embarrassed us in years past I still am a sucker for their logo and jersey combo.

I wish him the best, but this is another big oof on the Holland era even though as I said I was excited: it seems like they just didn’t know much about him and drafted him based on past analysis.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I could be in the minority here, but putting blame on Ken Holland for Zadina seems almost... lazy??

Sure, he could've drafted someone else, but it's really hard to throw shade when most at that time thought it was a slam dunk. Perhaps he can get a slight bit of blame for using that loophole or whatever to bring Zadina to the pros when he should've maybe spent another year in junior..... But that's about it...

Otherwise, Holland was completely out of the picture less than a year after Zadina was drafted.

Steve Yzerman on the other hand had a little over 3 years where Zadina likely had some positive value as an asset... obviously not equal to the #6OA pick that was used to draft him, but certainly enough to where he could've garnered some measurable return or to be used in a package for a higher value asset of some sort.

Instead, after 2 disappointing seasons, Yzerman signs him to a pretty silly contract that ends up being the catalyst to Zadina being lost for absolutely nothing.

On top of that, if Yzerman's presser was to be believed, before he found out Zadina wanted out he was fully prepared to give him a 4th season on the roster to hopefully figure things out.

Maybe. Other teams skipped Zadina despite being a consensus top 3/4 player. Veleno was often talked about as a top 10-12 pick as well. I wonder if Ken Holland and Tyler Wright didn't do their due diligence on Zadina and Veleno because they didn't expect the players to be there. I can see a scenario where they didn't do a deep dive on these guys or conduct a thorough interview because Wright and Holland didn't think they'd be there.

It could also be that bargain shopping mentality. You go to the store, expecting to purchase a 50 inch Samsung 4K UHD smart TV, but hey! They're having a sale on that 65 inch RCA 4K TV for the same price! And it's a bigger TV! It's way bigger than what you need and isn't smart, but whatever, you can buy a fire stick or roku device for it. However, Holland forgot to buy the warrantee for when the circuit board eventually shorts and the screen dims. Meanwhile, that 50 inch Samsung 4k UHD still runs just as well as the day it was purchased and will last another 8 years.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

It’s not so much the unanimously ranked high thing for me, it’s the looked like a really skilled/high upside player for me.

As far as why I wouldn’t kill Holland for taking Zadina.

People really forget what Zadina looked like in the 12 months leading up to his draft compared to what he looked like after. There was a lot of tape/clips of him making high end plays at international tournaments and in the Q. He was really dangerous with the puck and scored a lot.

Personally I had him ranked 3 and Dobson 4 and in the who would you have picked thread I said I would take Dobson with the reasoning being I thought defense was a bigger need. But I liked Zadina a lot and was really happy with that pick.

But I understand the thought process of takin Zadina so I don’t get that mad at it, I moreso wonder with him asking to be released if he has a bit of an ego and really put the work in to maximize his talent.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
If Ken Holland had a shred of decency he would have taken Zadina when we traded for Kostin and Numbnuts.
He knows he sucks bro lol. The main reason why I am so upset is because I was thrilled when he "fell" to us. I would have picked him. I didn't factor in him being being mentally weak af and an entitled sucky baby.

Last edited:

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
I moreso wonder with him asking to be released if he has a bit of an ego and really put the work in to maximize his talent.
he’s always been a bit of a primadina. what was his response to montreal not taking him? he was gonna fill their net with pucks, right?

edit: i harbor no animosity towards zadina, and i really wish him the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: lilidk

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I could not care less. He is gone, and no cap hit.

I don't get the saltiness.

Yeah.

People should really look on that draft class weakness. Not much great forward producers there.

1689673278254.png

Zadina is still the 13th best point producer of that class. 7th best of forwards.

But still, at Top15 that 2018 class has 8 defencemen as best producers. More than forwards. Tells how bad the forwards are. Usually D-men will develop very much behind forwards, until they start to produce well, and generally defencemen produce a lot less.

Only 2 of the forwards have been special players, A.Svechnikov and B.Tkachuk. I wouldn't be surpriced if Jonatan Berggren will be some day a Top5 forward of this class. Average NHL forward versus other better classes, from this abysmal forward class.

What comes to Zadina:

Overall weak 2018 forward class + missed development = bust.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
What easy way out?

I think the easy way was take more money.

Taking less money is the hard way.

yeah I was(sarcastically) making that point

he could have just kept doing what he's been doing and collected his $3.6 million over the next couple years but wanted to bet on himself instead even though it almost certainly meant losing money at the very least in the short term

Reactions: SoupNazi

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
yeah I was(sarcastically) making that point

he could have just kept doing what he's been doing and collected his $3.6 million over the next couple years but wanted to bet on himself instead even though it almost certainly meant losing money at the very least in the short term
Yep. What a coward.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
My only question - which we may never know the answer to - is whether Yzerman tried to trade Zadina before he requested a trade? It sounds like Yzerman did his best to develop Zadina and he said he signed him to the deal that ironically made him untradeable because he expected Zadina to continue to work on his development.

It was obvious to many of us that Zadina wasn't going to amount to much, so I do wonder what Yzerman's true thoughts were regarding his future in Detroit? There was clearly no trade value there, so it does beg the question whether Yzerman truly thought Zadina could have eventually become a contributor? Or was that last contract simple asset protection where you kick the can down the road a bit?

We obviously have no cap issues so signing Zadina to that last deal wasn't something Yzerman had to think long and hard about - it's basic asset protection - but if we did have cap issues it wouldn't shock if Zadina hypothetically ended up being one of those guys who hit free agency due to a salary cap squeeze.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I don't get the weak draft argument when we passed on drafting one of the best D in the draft who ultimately became a near point per game D who literally developed an hour away from the main office. It's another D miss on the lengthy D drought similar to giving up Chychrun and watching cholo play his way out of the league. It's no surprise Yzerman's first pick for the organization was a defenseman from the absolute wasteland he was left with on the backend. What was the rational anyway was Hughes considered too short?

Uhg imagine this roster with Hughes and Chychrun added. Anyway revisionism means we might pick different players and have a whole different feel and I like where we are at.

As far as Zadina happy to see him go, maybe he'll try one year to see if it was just an organizational mismatch and then go play in KHL or Europe for more money.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
took the easy way out by getting his contract terminated so he can get a fresh start somewhere else for less money
Yes that's what I said. He couldn't make DRW terrible roster so he went to a worse team. Took less money because it might be easier to play...

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I don't get the weak draft argument when we passed on drafting one of the best D in the draft who ultimately became a near point per game D who literally developed an hour away from the main office. It's another D miss on the lengthy D drought similar to giving up Chychrun and watching cholo play his way out of the league. It's no surprise Yzerman's first pick for the organization was a defenseman from the absolute wasteland he was left with on the backend. What was the rational anyway was Hughes considered too short?

Uhg imagine this roster with Hughes and Chychrun added. Anyway revisionism means we might pick different players and have a whole different feel and I like where we are at.

As far as Zadina happy to see him go, maybe he'll try one year to see if it was just an organizational mismatch and then go play in KHL or Europe for more money.
If you change the Zadina and Cholo picks to Hughes and Chychrun we probably win a cup in the next 3 years :(

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

I don't think the KHL is a desired destination anymore, you know there's a war going on....

Also, SHL and NL salaries are comparable to what high end AHL vets get, Czech league pays even less. Or maybe you meant "more" as in additional money, not "greater than".

Some players would rather be a star in a lesser league than be a plug in the NHL. I think he'll take the fast route to Europe unlike Cholo who's still in the AHL.

Reactions: Retire91
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad