Waived: Zadina (Clears) - Contract Terminated, Signs with SJS

Status
Not open for further replies.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
If he was told he's in the A to start, sounds like that was a deal breaker for him. Don't blame him one bit. If he can't hang in the NHL there are a handful of leagues I'd prefer over the AHL. Sounds like he feels that same. Money or not.
I don't think those decisions are being made, especially for a guy like Zadina, months before training camp and preseason

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He was a 6th overall pick, at that point in the draft it shouldn't take much development.
A player doesn't get to choose where he gets picked, that's entirely on Kenny and his staff. Fact of the matter is, he needed a lot of development and good coaching because he's about the dumbest first round pick I've seen. He fell for a reason (probably more than one).

It's kinda funny how a lot more people hate him now that he's gone. I hated him while he was here, lol. No reason for me to argue in support of anything he says, but the way I read his responses is that he realizes he's not special now, which is the first step. Probably too late for him though.

It turns out that attention given to Zadina-level players directly correlates with boredom level during the off-season.

Just over one more month until actual meaningful hockey.
Yeah, I wouldn't have posted that article if there was anything else to talk about aside from Seider not being elite, lol.

I put it in the correct thread, so anyone not interested in talking about Zadina can just skip the thead or ignore the thread entirely. I don't feel bad about it in the least bit.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
A player doesn't get to choose where he gets picked, that's entirely on Kenny and his staff. Fact of the matter is, he needed a lot of development and good coaching because he's about the dumbest first round pick I've seen. He fell for a reason (probably more than one).

It's kinda funny how a lot more people hate him now that he's gone. I hated him while he was here, lol. No reason for me to argue in support of anything he says, but the way I read his responses is that he realizes he's not special now, which is the first step. Probably too late for him though.

Yeah, I wouldn't have posted that article if there was anything else to talk about aside from Seider not being elite, lol.

I put it in the correct thread, so anyone not interested in talking about Zadina can just skip the thead or ignore the thread entirely. I don't feel bad about it in the least bit.

For sure when people get pulled forward or have that undersized but high ceiling quality. Zadina wasn't that though, where he was picked and his frame he should heave been in the lineup "filling the net" so to speak. If he really had legit talent he would have had more success than he did anywhere he had started.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
For sure when people get pulled forward or have that undersized but high ceiling quality. Zadina wasn't that though, where he was picked and his frame he should heave been in the lineup "filling the net" so to speak. If he really had legit talent he would have had more success than he did anywhere he had started.
Sometimes mental development is harder than physical development. It's easier for some people to get bigger or move faster than to think faster. (Just apply the statement to the coworkers next to you right now, lol)

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Sometimes mental development is harder than physical development. It's easier for some people to get bigger or move faster than to think faster. (Just apply the statement to the coworkers next to you right now, lol)
Fair enough but if I hire someone who is graduated magna cum laude from the top school in that field, who crushed their internship, and agreed on a salary that is in the top tier for their age group I am expecting a shorter curve than normal.

Reactions: dalem177

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
I don't get the hate. At all.

Zadina did nothing but a favor for us to burn the contract down without any caphits for Red Wings cap.

Let's move on.
He said about Montreal that he will "fill their nets with pucks" because they passed on him at #3. He talked big and couldn't back it up and now he's a meme in Detroit forever so I can understand the frustration with him. Especially since both teams are in the same division.

He simply never worked hard enough to figure out his flaws. However at this point we do have to move on.

Detroit was the unfortunate fool to have fallen for what prior drafting teams caught onto.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
He said about Montreal that he will "fill their nets with pucks" because they passed on him at #3. He talked big and couldn't back it up and now he's a meme in Detroit forever so I can understand the frustration with him. Especially since both teams are in the same division.

He simply never worked hard enough to figure out his flaws. However at this point we do have to move on.

Detroit was the unfortunate fool to have fallen for what prior drafting teams caught onto.
His work ethic is not in question. You can work as hard as you want, but if it doesn't click it doesn't click. Half of his problems almost stem from working too hard. Trying too hard and/or over thinking things rather than just reacting.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
His work ethic is not in question. You can work as hard as you want, but if it doesn't click it doesn't click. Half of his problems almost stem from working too hard. Trying too hard and/or over thinking things rather than just reacting.
Ya that's a fair point, and we can speculate where it went wrong for him. For him, he has the talent where it should click. Maybe he blooms later after this fresh start which I would happy to see and I like the Sharks too.

He needs something like a sports psychologist to get out what's between his ears.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Yeah I don't get the hate. A few teams passed on him, sure, but he's far from the only disappointment from that draft. At the time it was considered a great pick, now all the hindsight geniuses claim they always knew he wouldn't live up to the draft position.

I hope he does well. He always had some good tools, but just never put it together. He's finely suited as a bottom six grinder at least and that is a fine roll in today's NHL. There's still some potential there, and hopefully for him the pressure is off and he can carve out an identity in the league.

He did the Wings a favor by waiving his contract and while it would have been great if everything had worked out, it didn't.

People love to play the what-if card with that draft, so I'll play too - what-if they drafted Hughes and they don't draft Seider a year later, are they really that much further ahead than they are now?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

He couldn't predict how weak the 2018 draft class was. Poor guy.

I don't buy that "working out hard" -explanation either. That whole 2018 draft class is busting hard. There's no good forwards. Lot's of good D. It's weakest forward group in last 10 years.

Zadina looking good vs. that group fooled us all on draft time. But draft classes are not equal year vs. year.

People should stop stucking on a single indivudual. Injuries affected on Zadina + that draft class. Put him on the 2015 or 2016 class and he is a 2nd round pick.

Kids will talk. Only this shit will get dig up year by year.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
At the time it was considered a great pick, now all the hindsight geniuses claim they always knew he wouldn't live up to the draft position.
Nice strawman, lol, NOBODY claimed that.

There were a few people, including myself that soured on him the last 2 or 3 years when it was obvious he couldn't make the adjustment to NHL hockey. When his outside inside move didn't work, his only adjustment was to headfake harder and do the same move, lol. The kid isn't very bright, and some of us picked up on that faster than others.

What is funny is that some supporters have switched to becoming haters now that he's no longer on the team.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Could of had Quinn Hughes, but then you don't get Seider.... you get Cozens. hhhhmmmm

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Could of had Quinn Hughes, but then you don't get Seider.... you get Cozens. hhhhmmmm

Yeah, you can swing it many ways.

You get a great offensive defenceman too soon to bolster the horrible roster to inflated contracts, will win more games, can't draft Seider, Oilers will take him, you draft Broberg as 2nd best D instead of Seider like Oilers did in real world. And the team is going nowhere. Just many contracts are gonna be cap problems with all-offence and no defence.

They avoided Quinn Hughes for a reason. That guy is never gonna win anything, if he doesn't join his younger brothers at New Jersey.

And if he will join the brothers, why draft this guy, who was all the time gonna join either of the great younger brothers who will be drafted later and this oldest will join them as first guy getting UFA ?

I was speculating this factor at draft time. I thought this "brother factor" was bigger than "russian factor" at drafting. If you draft Quinn Hughes, you are gonna lose him as UFA, as soon as the day comes.

So you can't build a franchise around him. The franchise build around him, is the franchise, which will draft Jack Hughes.

Skip the guy. Drafting him early is bad asset management.

Blashill will coach him at WHC before draft, did give him decent ice-time, they knew everything about the guy. And Red Wings did skip him. There was a factor.

Call me fool, but nowadays it will seem as a reality. Tkachuks are gonna do a same kind of thing. Brady will join Matt at some point, believe me.

Last edited:
Reactions: heyfolks

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
Yeah, you can swing it many ways.

You get a great offensive defenceman too soon to bolster the horrible roster to inflated contracts, will win more games, can't draft Seider, Oilers will take him, you draft Broberg as 2nd best D instead of Seider like Oilers did in real world. And the team is going nowhere. Just many contracts are gonna be cap problems with all-offence and no defence.

They avoided Quinn Hughes for a reason. That guy is never gonna win anything, if he doesn't join his younger brothers at New Jersey.

And if he will join the brothers, why draft this guy, who was all the time gonna join either of the great younger brothers who will be drafted later and this oldest will join them as first guy getting UFA ?

I was speculating this factor at draft time. I thought this "brother factor" was bigger than "russian factor" at drafting. If you draft Quinn Hughes, you are gonna lose him as UFA, as soon as the day comes.

So you can't build a franchise around him. The franchise build around him, is the franchise, which will draft Jack Hughes.

Skip the guy. Drafting him early is bad asset management.

Blashill will coach him at WHC before draft, did give him decent ice-time, they knew everything about the guy. And Red Wings did skip him. There was a factor.

Call me fool, but nowadays it will seem as a reality. Tkachuks are gonna do a same kind of thing. Brady will join Matt at some point, believe me.
I do remember there was a sizeable contingent that did not like the z pick at the time. And most of those were jonesing for Hughes. On the other hand I also remember rumors that the wings liked dobson if they went D, soooo...??? Full disclosure, I expected D that year and was firmly in the Dobson camp. That said, at the time I thought getting z was a major coup. So, bottom line, some called it spot on, but must are hindsight naysayers. But either way, there is simply no reason to hate on the kid. By all accounts, he worked his ass off to make it.
Best of luck to him I say

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I really didn't understand why we took a winger when Hughes was there on the board, that was why I didn't like the pick. We needed a C or a D more badly. That was why I loved Yzerman right out of the gate, his first pick was the D we so desperately needed.

Every once in a while I look back at this draft though and Eww. So many other teams missed on this draft too.

I think this draft stung extra hard because it was finally to the point where Holland could no longer retread the team, that it was literally too bad to improve with patchwork anymore, and at that time the only thing to look forward to as a fan was the draft. And this was what we got.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Yeah I don't get the hate. A few teams passed on him, sure, but he's far from the only disappointment from that draft. At the time it was considered a great pick, now all the hindsight geniuses claim they always knew he wouldn't live up to the draft position.

I hope he does well. He always had some good tools, but just never put it together. He's finely suited as a bottom six grinder at least and that is a fine roll in today's NHL. There's still some potential there, and hopefully for him the pressure is off and he can carve out an identity in the league.

He did the Wings a favor by waiving his contract and while it would have been great if everything had worked out, it didn't.

People love to play the what-if card with that draft, so I'll play too - what-if they drafted Hughes and they don't draft Seider a year later, are they really that much further ahead than they are now?
This in no way justifies the hate because it's not Zadina's fault, though many things in fandom are not rational. But I think part of the hate or ire is because Detroit has had so few high draft picks. It makes it extra disappointing for a 6th overall pick to turn into nothing.
When you look at the overall context I agree it's a lot less surprising. I just think there's some "We wasted a 6th overall pick!" going on.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
I do remember there was a sizeable contingent that did not like the z pick at the time. And most of those were jonesing for Hughes. On the other hand I also remember rumors that the wings liked dobson if they went D, soooo...??? Full disclosure, I expected D that year and was firmly in the Dobson camp. That said, at the time I thought getting z was a major coup. So, bottom line, some called it spot on, but must are hindsight naysayers. But either way, there is simply no reason to hate on the kid. By all accounts, he worked his ass off to make it.
Best of luck to him I say

I was one of them. I loathed the Zadina pick, but I also had sugar plum OCD for Dahlin or Tkachuk. When the Wings were up, I liked Wahlstrom. Still a MEH #6 pick, but big enough to be a grinder. Any player with a single skill you hope translates is, to me, a bad pick. Zadina was a pure snipe. No defense, no skating, no physical game, not a great passer, etc. When that skill didn't translate, he struggled to develop the rest of his skillset to an NHL level. I like the guy, but he is destined for Europe.

Reactions: Astyanax

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I wanted Dobson that year, but I didn't hate the Zadina pick. Wasn't a big fan of hughes, and was wrong there. Eh. Sucks it didn't work out for us but hope the kid does well in SJ

I would have preferred those RD too. Dobson or Bouchard.

I was one of them. I loathed the Zadina pick, but I also had sugar plum OCD for Dahlin or Tkachuk. When the Wings were up, I liked Wahlstrom. Still a MEH #6 pick, but big enough to be a grinder.

It's interesting how Wahlstrom was also the NTDP most hyped best sniper, but is struggling with development to NHL level too, like Zadina.

Another example, how this 2018 forward class just happened to weakest in years. It's like the Yakupov Calchenyuk class. Majority of best players from that class are defencemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad