Player Discussion Zack MacEwen signed for 3 years @ $775,000

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
When the cap goes up 5 million this is going to be such a steal of a contract for Zac MacEwen.
He will be making literally under the minimum salary.

Genius way to circumvent the cap.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
If people criticized Dorion the usual gang would show up to protect him

giphy.gif

Wonder twin powers activated!!!

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Again the issue is not the player but the signing. Was 3 years necessary to get this guy to sign? Was there a line of other teams competing to sign this guy? Was the urgency of getting this guy signed immediately so high that it superseded gm attention towards current cap crunch issues, and other glaring holes in the lineup / other massive concerns like debrincat? Like this couldn’t wait until other things had been resolved? The more cap he brings on, the further he’s handcuffed, the more leverage and wiggle options he gives away in trying to deal a high value asset right now. Didn’t he already fill this hole with imama?
Some poster said Dorion said Imama would. Play in Ottawa. That does mean it was true nor false.

LatteLarrys

LatteLarry's
Dec 27, 2013
Sammy, who used to own and operate Lorenzos on Arch street, a couple of years after “retiring” opened up Beneci, and that’s my go to for Pizza.
View attachment 726777

Man, I loved that Lorenzo's until Sam sold. Service just wasn't the same after that. I get Beneci's from time to time.

Oh and uh Zack... serviceable pickup can we just deal the Cat already plz

Reactions: Icelevel

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Man, I loved that Lorenzo's until Sam sold. Service just wasn't the same after that. I get Beneci's from time to time.

Oh and uh Zack... serviceable pickup can we just deal the Cat already plz
That Lorenzo’s was so good. I kinda stopped going when it switched over. Not as good unfortunately. May be better now idk

Reactions: LatteLarrys

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Meh. I don’t mind if he is a 13th forward.

I'm thinking the same for Kelly and Sokolov (if he makes it)

Assuming Joseph is #10 and Kastelic is #11. McEwen and Kelly are #12 and 13, we still have major holes at forwards #6, 7, 8, 9. Greig and Pinto will claim 2 roles in there.

Hopefully DeBrincat brings another guy and we sign the last one as a UFA. Those 2 need to be GOOD, particularly defensively. We really need Dorion to do something great for these last 2 spots.

As of now, I see our bottom-6 as way too below average again.

I don’t suppose the the lower the number the better…
If everything is red, and the lines all go down that’s not good right?

Yeah red means in the lowest percentiles. 0% would mean among the worst players in that category. Of course this is all based on advanced stats and they don't paint a perfect picture of all the contexts. I used to disregard those cards completely, until I started getting curious and more often than not, they represent roughly my own player's evaluations. Example, I find that Eriksson-Ek is elite defensively, his EV defense percentile is usually around 97% and now he has finished 4th, 7th and 9th in Selke voting the last 3 years.

I'll have to repent in wanting Watson and Gambrell to not be back. If I knew...

E6XuCFWX0Ak4bjV

Hopefully MacEwen plays good hockey for us. Hard for me to have any expectations but who knows? If he plays that "the tough guy role" well even if he sucks at hockey, we can maybe live with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: PlayersLtd

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Other than wondering if Kelly is now the 13F, can't get too excited or disappointed about the MacEwan signing. Also, who slots into the PK with Watson departing?

I guess the other question would be are there any of the prospects going to get a shot at roster positions like Sokolov, Crookshank or whomever?

Its just a waiting game now to see what happens with Debrincat.

Last edited:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
That Lorenzo’s was so good. I kinda stopped going when it switched over. Not as good unfortunately. May be better now idk

Don’t bother…. Try Beneci …. Sammy’s new (after a couple of years of retirement) pizzeria… the One just off of Conroy, is pretty close to the Arch Street Lorenzos… the other location is in the west end

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
Looks like he should be a decent depth forward, the analytics are never kind to bruising forwards - see Tkachuk.

Do Methot, Garrioch, and those guys really not see how hypocritical they are? They complain and throw jabs at people on twitter that are complaining about the MacEwen signing, completely avoiding the high road and looking just as bad as the people they're trying to discredit.

Any time the words "keyboard warrior" or "mom's basement" are typed, you've lost. ffs look in the mirror

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I really wish we could have gotten Zach Aston-Reese

"it is worth mentioning that for the second year in a row Zach Aston-Reese put up the best scoring chance prevention numbers in the NHL."

That's the type of bottom-6 forward who helps out your goalies look better so you don't have to take huge risks on the Matt Murrays and Joonas Korpisalos

In his interview, PD said Imama was more for Ottawa than for Belleville.

If our bottom-6 (I'm high on Greig and assume he's our 6th best forward) is Pinto, Joseph, Kastelic, Kelly, McEwen and Imama, we're not going to stand much of chance in the Atlantic division

One 3rd liner in his 2nd year, two 4th liners and three 13th forwards at best. Ouch.

The DeBrincat trade is becoming one of the keys to the season. Could still go both ways. Pageau coud actually be some real help for the bottom-6 if the trade ends up being with the Isles

Reactions: Agent Zub

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
We need a LW to go along with Kasty and MacEwen . Sparker has the right attitude but he's a bit too small

1688683024641.png

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I guess on balance I prefer him over Parker Kelly. More entertaining at least.

Still think 3 years is excessive.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
That does follow the eye test as he does suck defensively as he's always cheating, not covering the points, always the last one backchecking etc.

• Haha
Reactions: Agent Zub

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Lol never give these charts too much attention but Brady at 1 percent d is funny as hell

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Never played NHL Hockey
Scotty Bowman
Kevin Cheveldayoff
Bryan Murray
Tim Murray
Lou Lamoriello
Julien Brisebois
Stan Bowman
David Poile
Brad Treliving
Chuck Fletcher
Dave Nonis
John Ferguson Jr
Brian Burke
.... The list is long
These people would likely not all agree on how to fill out a roster. Because Doug Wilson played 1024 games is he going to make better decisions than these
guys .. because he played. Would Benning or Snow make better decisions because they played

I am not against the MacEwen signing... Term may be long .. he's cheap so it likely won't be a factor

He looks like a wild man so I kind of like that. Methot would probably say he needs a haircut. He also has some interesting views on Climate Change.

In fairness, a lot of those guys did play at a high-level, just not in the NHL (i.e. Treliving played in the AHL/ECHL, JFJ and Cheveldayoff played in the AHL, etc) while others grinded for years coaching/managing at minor league levels before breaking into the NHL (Murray, Lamiorello, etc).

Most of the guys you listed would be considered "hockey lifers" that have a similar way of thinking to ex-players like Wilson, Yzerman, etc. They're from the establishment.

The Methot-eque comments are more targeted towards the new-age manager (i.e. the Ivy league educated lawyer who comes in and takes over a team in his 30's) or fans who think like them.

Brisebois fits that bill as a Theo Epstein-like figure, and he's obviously had a ton of success, but his team building approach has been pretty old school. There's Dubas, who's had regular season success, but has become more "traditional" with each passing year. There was Chayka, who was a disaster.

And then there's the young guys who analytics Twitter can't get enough of (i.e. Eric Tulsky), who are unproven and waiting for a shot.

It's not so much of NHLer vs non-NHLer as much as "traditional eye test" vs "analytics".

Dubas is the interesting one. He came in the league with a "I'm going to change everything and win – speed and skill rules, size isn't important, puck possession or nothing" approach. Fast forward 4-5 years? He's adding guys like Ryan Graves, Noel Acciari, Lars Eller... and building a team Doug Wilson would be proud of.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
In fairness, a lot of those guys did play at a high-level, just not in the NHL (i.e. Treliving played in the AHL/ECHL, JFJ and Cheveldayoff played in the AHL, etc) while others grinded for years coaching/managing at minor league levels before breaking into the NHL (Murray, Lamiorello, etc).

Most of the guys you listed would be considered "hockey lifers" that have a similar way of thinking to ex-players like Wilson, Yzerman, etc. They're from the establishment.

The Methot-eque comments are more targeted towards the new-age manager (i.e. the Ivy league educated lawyer who comes in and takes over a team in his 30's) or fans who think like them.

Brisebois fits that bill as a Theo Epstein-like figure, and he's obviously had a ton of success, but his team building approach has been pretty old school. There's Dubas, who's had regular season success, but has become more "traditional" with each passing year. There was Chayka, who was a disaster.

And then there's the young guys who analytics Twitter can't get enough of (i.e. Eric Tulsky), who are unproven and waiting for a shot.

It's not so much of NHLer vs non-NHLer as much as "traditional eye test" vs "analytics".

Dubas is the interesting one. He came in the league with a "I'm going to change everything and win – speed and skill rules, size isn't important, puck possession or nothing" approach. Fast forward 4-5 years? He's adding guys like Ryan Graves, Noel Acciari, Lars Eller... and building a team Doug Wilson would be proud of.
This (see below) is the part of the conversation I was replying to. If it was about eye test vs analytics I would not have responded this way. It was an appeal to authority . I don't even disagree totally with Methot here , but the point I was making is there are a lot of smart hockey people that did not play in the NHL. Not very deep.

I know one thing Methot was smart enough to play 624 NHL games, how many games have you played in the NHL bud? Your hatred of Dorion is showing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad