Player Discussion Zack MacEwen signed for 3 years @ $775,000

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Idk. Looks laughable to me. I’ll stop now though cause he’s a senator for 3 years.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
He's the smartest hockey guy in room full of HFSens fans.... that much is for sure.
All the NHL GMs are wrong for signing these fighters. All the former NHL pundits are wrong.

But the armchair experts on hfsens are right because they would never sign such a player in "Be a GM Mode" on NHL23.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
To everyone saying this is useless... MacEwen is not as bad as people think. He's a good forechecker, plays with pace and hits hard.

I don't want Brady Tkachuk fighting Ryan Reaves.

I don't want him fighting Xhekaj. Jeannot. Lucic.

There are some serious heavyweights in this division now. There will be a lot more fighting than there was in previous seasons. Tkachuk cannot handle this by himself and should absolutely not have the pressure on his shoulders to take on these guys. We need him on the top line and not in the penalty box.

MacEwen and Kasty will bring some heavy play to the 4rth line and answer the bell when needed. Everyone will play a bit bigger with these guys on the roster. MacEwen has fought guys like Wilson, Schenn and other pretty good fighters and for the most part he handles himself extremely well.

This is a very logical move. If we play teams with no enforcers, no problem play another guy on the 4rth line for that game. 100% certainty that Tkachuk will appreciate this move and so will the other players on the team. Can't only look at stats all the time.
I don't think most people are having an issue with signing an extra fighter, it's 100% logical. The real problem is the guy he replaced was at least a good PKer, which is what you want from your 4th liner.

He's league min, if he sucks he goes to the AHL, it's not a big deal. The surprising bit is that this guy got 3 years and he doesn't actually improve the bottom 6.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I don't think most people are having an issue with signing an extra fighter, it's 100% logical. The real problem is the guy he replaced was at least a good PKer, which is what you want from your 4th liner.

He's league min, if he sucks he goes to the AHL, it's not a big deal. The surprising bit is that this guy got 3 years and he doesn't actually improve the bottom 6.

I think they wanted a real fighter rather than Watson who's more like a guy that fights because he's asked to. Watson gets fed every fight he takes. I would not want to see him fight Ryan Reaves and I don't think he would want that either.

I also don't think MacEwen plays every game. He's a guy you can keep as 13th F and sneak him in when you know Tkachuk will need it.

Reactions: swiftwin

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I think they wanted a real fighter rather than Watson who's more like a guy that fights because he's asked to. Watson gets fed every fight he takes. I would not want to see him fight Ryan Reaves and I don't think he would want that either.

I also don't think MacEwen plays every game. He's a guy you can keep as 13th F.
Exactly. We have other players who can PK. We don't have other players, besides Brady, who can fight.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.

I also don't think MacEwen plays every game. He's a guy you can keep as 13th F and sneak him in when you know Tkachuk will need it.
So what's the point of imama then? I understand one of the two as a 13th fwd, but one of them just became a 12th fwd.

Watson stinks at fights and although McEwan is better, he's still not good. Dude is going to get killed by Reaves anyway.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Have you ever seen macewen try and fight? He’s one of the worst. He’s a serious injury waiting to happen.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Have you ever seen macewen try and fight? He’s one of the worst. He’s a serious injury waiting to happen.

I have!

So what's the point of imama then? I understand one of the two as a 13th fwd, but one of them just became a 12th fwd.

Watson stinks at fights and although McEwan is better, he's still not good. Dude is going to get killed by Reaves anyway.

Imama is on a 2-way. He may very well play the year in Belleville and only jump in if MacEwen is injured. Imama was a captain in the AHL, he's well respected. If anything I see him as a Sabourin replacement for the BSens.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Exactly. We have other players who can PK. We don't have other players, besides Brady, who can fight.
You don't want Brady fighting other teams' plugs, which he didn't last year. Those other teams aren't going to want their good players fighting our 4th liners. The good players will still end up fighting each other.

We have no other fighters? Kastelic and Hamonic both fight.

Instead of a 4th liner playing the PK now, we're just going to have our better players block shots and get hurt that way.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I have!

Imama is on a 2-way. He may very well play the year in Belleville and only jump in if MacEwen is injured. Imama was a captain in the AHL, he's well respected. If anything I see him as a Sabourin replacement for the BSens.

Yep, I can't see Imama get more than a couple games in the NHL. Maybe if some firepower is needed for a spicy game.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
You don't want Brady fighting other teams' plugs, which he didn't last year. Those other teams aren't going to want their good players fighting our 4th liners. The good players will still end up fighting each other.

Instead of a 4th liner playing the PK now, we're just going to have our better players block shots and get hurt that way.

PK will be Pinto, Joseph, Stutzle and probably someone we acquire in the Debrincat trade. Otherwise there's still guys like Motte on the market who can easily play 4rth line and PK for league minimum.

Basically swap Watson for someone else, the other 3 are going to be guys that have already PKed on this team. Even with Watson and Gambrell on the team, Stutzle was PKing so don't see the logic here.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

Brady didn't fight very much because Watson was doing (and losing) all of the fighting. We have plenty of other players who can PK, we don't really have other players who can fight. Hamonic doesn't fight. He has only one fight since coming to Ottawa. Kastelic can fight, but we need an alternative if he gets hurt or gets sent down. We needed more than just one player who can fight besides Brady.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
I have!

In his interview, PD said Imama was more for Ottawa than for Belleville.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Not sure what all the hubub is about this signing. MacEwen is a fine 4th liner at 775k. Skates hard, can fight, great team guy. He'll probably end up dressing for ~50 games, as you'd expect from a guy making that much.

I'd much rather have him than watch Dylan Gambrell skate up and down the ice again.

And despite what Dorion said, I'd expect Imama to spend most of the year in Belleville not Ottawa.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I would assume that the comments from Dorion regarding Imama were not assuming that we would sign MacEwen or other fighters. The lineup won't have both Imama and MacEwen that's pretty obvious to me.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I like this. Extra truculence for the 4th line, and at league minimum. Guys like this are beauty in the playoffs. Plus this takes pressure off Brady to throw them.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I also love how people reference the Carrier - Roy - Kolesar line as a "4th line" because that's how it was written out on paper.

"That's the type of 4th line we should build!"

Meanwhile, Roy was playing more than 15 minutes a night.

Those same people ignore that, by that logic, Mike Amadio was a 3rd liner and Howden was a 2nd liner, because that's where they "slotted". But if someone "slots" Mathieu Joseph into a top 6 role in a thread here everyone loses their shit.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I also love how people reference the Carrier - Roy - Kolesar line as a "4th line" because that's how it was written out on paper.

"That's the type of 4th line we should build!"

Those same people ignore that, by that logic, Mike Amadio was a 3rd liner and Howden was a 2nd liner, because that's where they "slotted".

But if someone "slots" Mathieu Joseph into a top 6 role in a thread here everyone loses their shit.

I kinda think that's where Joseph is most effective tbh, he's looked average/underwhelming when outside the top 6 up to this point (Still a brutal and unjustified contract by Dorion).

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
We got him for 3 years. Dorion must have an everlasting love for this player.

everlast-100lb-nevatear-heavy-bag-d1621db1-86b7-4d48-a78d-643abb79c86a.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad