Zach Werenski - Update: Signs 3-yr ELC (p. 15)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The whole reason Reilly's such an expletive deleted is because it's so rare for someone to do what he did. Let's stop acting like Werenski's going to bail until there's at least a hint that he might. Because right now, there isn't.
You get a cookie.

320px-Choc-Chip-Cookie.jpg

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I'm not going to criticize anybody for worrying about any college player pulling another Reilly on us.

Yes, but do we need to drone on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about it until he either signs with or screws us?

Paranoia is only fun the first 12 dozen or so times you read about it on a certain topic. After that it's just sad.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
For those of you worrying about whether or not Werenski appreciated being drafted by the CBJ, here's his thoughts:

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2015/09/11/blue-jackets-feature.html

“I was 50-50 for a while,” Werenski said. “It’s a great position to be in — signing with Columbus or going to the University of Michigan are great options — but it’s a really tough call. Some of the teams I met with at the combine … they made it really clear: If we draft you, you’re going to do what we tell you to do and play where we say you’re going to play. Columbus didn’t do that, and I really appreciate it.”

Sure doesn't seem like he has much interest in spurning the team to play elsewhere. Hopefully this eases the worries some of you have.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I think ****** said the same thing

:cry::cry::cry:

No. Reilly said he appreciated being drafted by Columbus. And thats it. When asked if he was excited to play in Columbus (during the playoff series vs PIT) he replied with "I'm excited to play in the NHL." and when asked on FSNO by Jeff Rimer in January if he was excited to join Columbus next year he said "We'll see what happens. Maybe." Reilly gave hints all through his stint here towards the end that he wasn't coming.

cbj21

Oct 2, 2005
Shampoo land
My take in life is that one should never worry about who might leave you. Focus all your energy on making sure they have no reason to leave.

FlamesFan 2313

Mar 22, 2015
Ontario
Hey guys. The rookie draft for my fantasy hockey leauge was yesterday, and I selected Werenski with my 1st round pick (13th Overall). I have only seen him play once, so I was wondering if you Jackets fans could help me out by answering a few questions about him, because I'm sure you guys are more familiar with his game than I am.

1) Was he a good pick at 13? (everyone drafted was from the 2015 draft class, with the exception of Panarin)
2) What kind of game does he play, offensive or defensive?
3) Who would be an NHL comparable to Werenski?
4) What would his upside be in a fantasy league that uses the standard categories along with shooting %, blocked shots and hits

Thanks in advance! This will really help me alot

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Good luck with your team. Just so I'm clear about the facts....you drafted him and now you are doing the due diligence???

This is why I don't play fantasy sports. I assumed that things happened in the other order?

To your questions, he won't get any NHL activity this year. He plays for Michigan. Check back in two years and we can tell you more. Again, good luck.

FlamesFan 2313

Mar 22, 2015
Ontario
Good luck with your team. Just so I'm clear about the facts....you drafted him and now you are doing the due diligence???

This is why I don't play fantasy sports. I assumed that things happened in the other order?

To your questions, he won't get any NHL activity this year. He plays for Michigan. Check back in two years and we can tell you more. Again, good luck.

I had a set group of players that I was looking at drafting, all of which I was quite familiar with but they all went right before my pick.

Anyways, NCAA isn't telivised frequently where I live, so is there a good chance Werenski will play in the World Jrs for the US? If not I will not have many opportunities to watch him as the only NCAA games that are televised in my area is the Frozen Four.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
From this weeks 30 Thoughts

The CHL/NCAA Cold War continued last week with two defections. Jeremy Bracco left Boston College for Kitchener, just before Warren Foegele departed New Hampshire for Kingston.

When this happens, you wonder if it is a trickle or the start of a flood. Looking into it, there are two names thrown around.

One is forward Luke Kunin, playing at Wisconsin with OHL rights owned by Sarnia. (Neither his family advisor nor the Sting responded to a request for comment.) Damien Cox mentioned Blue Jacket draftee Zach Werenski, whose OHL rights belong to London. That would be a major move, and a couple of scouts who saw him last weekend said the rumours are out there.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-power-struggle-over-the-coachs-challenge/

One can hope.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

Two things.

1) 8.6.(c).(ii) of the CBA stipulates:
If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is a bona fide college student at the time of his selection in the Entry Draft, or becomes a bona fide college student prior to the first June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft, and does not remain a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall retain exclusive rights for the negotiation of his services until the later of: (a) the fourth June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft, or...

The remainder of this is frankly irrelevant.

- Werenski was actually 17 when he was drafted, but 18 as of September 15 2015; for the purposes of the CBA, he was 18.
- He was a bona fide college student.
- If he leaves, Columbus retains his rights through June 1, 2019 even if he leaves to play junior hockey. This is the same thing that happened with Peter Quenneville, as accurately reported by me earlier this year that was apparently unknown to even the team's front office.

2) My second thought is this: something has to be done pronto about the CHL/NCAA Cold War. College teams are either losing committed recruits to the CHL before playing a game, or losing players in the middle of a season to the CHL. And because of the split on amateurism, it can't flow both ways.

Ideally the CHL would simply sign an agreement not to poach committed recruits or active players, but I can't see that happening.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
^^^^
Was in the process of posting this!

(Posting this not necessarily because I believe Hunter is a legitimate source for hockey but because there has been lots of buzz)

This scares me. I'm not a fan of the "ALL Players need to develop" idea but absolutely no good can come from throwing him onto a team headed for last place, that seems to have a locker room that's gone toxic, and has a coach who's shown no willingness to "favor" youth in spite of these games becoming meaningless long ago.

Hope he goes to London.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Agreed but I hope it happens so we can sign him to an ELC and make people who were worried about him signing stop.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Even though the article tried to make it sound like he would be in Columbus, I didn't take it that way. The rumor is he wants to go pro. He doesn't have to play (and shouldn't play) in Columbus to do that.

I'm with you. There is no way I would bring him onto this team right now. In fact, I would keep as many young guys away from this team as I could.

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
^^^^
Was in the process of posting this!

(Posting this not necessarily because I believe Hunter is a legitimate source for hockey but because there has been lots of buzz)

This scares me. I'm not a fan of the "ALL Players need to develop" idea but absolutely no good can come from throwing him onto a team headed for last place, that seems to have a locker room that's gone toxic, and has a coach who's shown no willingness to "favor" youth in spite of these games becoming meaningless long ago.

Hope he goes to London.

London seems logical and would relieve my angst about him ultimately becoming a Jacket. Of course if he dislikes college that much that should lessen my concerns as well. On the flipside notwithstanding bringing a rookie into a bad situation if he were to come to the big club do we have a spot for him? I don't know off the top of my head but I'm thinking all of our current D are on one way or would need to clear waivers to go to the AHL? If this happens it would likely be close to trade deadline where we might try to move D-men not part of the future here. Also would we want to pi$$ away a contract year on a lost season?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'd love to see him sign as I am one who worries a bit. Don't like the idea of burning a year off his ELC for a 1/2 season somewhere. Best situation is for him to join London and then sign at end of year so he is ELC'd for the full 3.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
How come people want him to take the London route vs the Milano route? Just fearful he becomes the next Wennberg where hes in the lineup no matter what and is will be played however little or much Torts wants him to? I think Werenski would be more ready for the AHL then Milano was and honestly has the skill to step in and be the Monsters best defenseman.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
How come people want him to take the London route vs the Milano route? Just fearful he becomes the next Wennberg where hes in the lineup no matter what and is will be played however little or much Torts wants him to? I think Werenski would be more ready for the AHL then Milano was and honestly has the skill to step in and be the Monsters best defenseman.

I just went back and read the CBA. I think if he signs and goes to Lake Erie there is no impact on his ELC as long as he doesn't play more than 9 NHL games. This being the case send him to the A if he signs and maybe let him have a taste of the NHL at the end of the season.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Wennberg's becoming one of our best and most consistent forwards..and he's only played like 10 games in the AHL.

Not saying it's the best course for him, but everyone is different. He could need 3 years in the AHL or he could step in and dominate like Ekblad did.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
I hope that Werenski plays for us and is like bew bew bew scores a lot and is a good teammate and that's really all we can ask

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Wennberg's becoming one of our best and most consistent forwards..and he's only played like 10 games in the AHL.

Not saying it's the best course for him, but everyone is different. He could need 3 years in the AHL or he could step in and dominate like Ekblad did.

i know Wennberg is playing good now its just the growing pains that came with it and we all know how hard it can be for defenseman and how they take longer to develop. but at the same time Werenski isnt an average 18 year old defenseman so who knows

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad