Zach Werenski - Update: Signs 3-yr ELC (p. 15)

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Academically... of course. But ncaa has weird rules with sports. I imagine there is a line somewhere. You can't have some 12 year old prodigy playing contact sports against grown ass men. I would think there would be some sort of lawsuit if one got hurt. 16 just seems young to me to play college sports.

I doubt there is (but I don't know for sure). I think there was a 16yo that played football at a "power 5" school a few years ago. I think if the kid isn't physically ready he will be RS or not recruited.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Okoye was a good prospect, but I think a lot of the reason for him going so high was because he was 19 and still had quite a bit of physical maturing that could still take place.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I find it pretty funny how so many people are worried about Werenski and unsure of his hockey IQ while he just finished his 1st season of college hockey while being a plus player, leading D in points and doing it at 17.. i liked the other D too but its not like we got scraps

Also for Werenski this is a case where I really want him to go the CHL route. London would be a great place to learn and round out his game

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
I find it pretty funny how so many people are worried about Werenski and unsure of his hockey IQ while he just finished his 1st season of college hockey while being a plus player, leading D in points and doing it at 17.. i liked the other D too but its not like we got scraps

Also for Werenski this is a case where I really want him to go the CHL route. London would be a great place to learn and round out his game

Agreed. That is about as close to being on an NHL club as he can get at that age.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio

As much as I like college hockey, he needs to move on to something more challenging. When a 17 year old Freshman leads Michigan in D points, he's clearly ready to be pushed at a faster pace.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Only positive I see about him going back to Michigan is his relationship with Komisarek. Learning from a ex-NHL D man has to be beneficial.

CBJ Bob

Summer Time Blues
Jun 20, 2002
In Hiding
Visit site
IMO sending him to London is the best choice. The NCAA has restrictions for the amount of time one can spend on athletics (training/meeting/games...) as well as time that needs to be dedicated towards academics. There will not be any of those restrictions in the OHL. He can dedicate 100% to Hockey.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Not to mention London is going to be a very very good team next year.

On the one hand that would be a good thing but could it hinder his development in that he would not be called on to do things he would have to on a less talented team? I'm not sure. I would guess that most here would give the ol' learning to be part of a winning culture speech. I would like the extra games though.

Light the Lamp

Apr 21, 2015
OHL probably makes more sense than Michigan. NCAA is great for kids who need strength (off ice workouts) and practice time. NCAA plays Friday and Sat, with more time for season practice time. CHL gets more games. Zach seems to be at a point, where he needs game speed ice time to bring him up to NHL ready. I suspect expectations are to have him ready for next October.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Didn't I heat during the draft this is going to be Coach Red Berenson's last season? I suspect Zach will play one more year at Michigan, then go pro.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
More games in the CHL isn't always a plus. Any player who's logging huge minutes per game has to end up pacing themselves. All the travel can make it absolutely exhausting.

For many games, its playing at 75% and taking short-cuts. If you have a team that's superior to most of the competitions, it could be playing at 65% against the bottom teams to conserve energy for more important games.

More and more NCAA players are delaying entering college until they are 19 or even 20, so NCAA teams can have quite a few players that are 22-23 years old. CHL teams have a handful of overagers who are 20, but are predominantly 17-19 year olds. For a more physically mature player like Werenski, it's much easier for him to push around junior age players.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
More games in the CHL isn't always a plus. Any player who's logging huge minutes per game has to end up pacing themselves. All the travel can make it absolutely exhausting.

For many games, its playing at 75% and taking short-cuts. If you have a team that's superior to most of the competitions, it could be playing at 65% against the bottom teams to conserve energy for more important games.

More and more NCAA players are delaying entering college until they are 19 or even 20, so NCAA teams can have quite a few players that are 22-23 years old. CHL teams have a handful of overagers who are 20, but are predominantly 17-19 year olds. For a more physically mature player like Werenski, it's much easier for him to push around junior age players.

And a CHL defenseman sky rocketed and was just drafted before Werenski. London is among the most professionally run non pro team around. It makes me wonder how much you follow London if you believe Hunter would allow 65% effort. Plus the Men cup is one of the most physically demanding and hard to win trophies around and you'd have to assu, me London will be in the mix

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
And a CHL defenseman sky rocketed and was just drafted before Werenski. London is among the most professionally run non pro team around. It makes me wonder how much you follow London if you believe Hunter would allow 65% effort. Plus the Men cup is one of the most physically demanding and hard to win trophies around and you'd have to assu, me London will be in the mix

Coaching staff of CHL encourage slacking when the next game is more important. A top team doesn't need to play at maximum effort to beat a bottom team. Playing the type of schedule with a growing body is very strenuous and players can't do 20-25 minutes in back to back games or three games over a 5 day period. "Pacing" themselves is the only way to do it - expending the amount of energy needed to match the level of competition. Gearing up for the Memorial Cup, you can guarantee that teams are trying to save up energy and not wanting players wasting energy going 100% against bottom dwellers at the end of the regular season.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Coaching staff of CHL encourage slacking when the next game is more important. A top team doesn't need to play at maximum effort to beat a bottom team. Playing the type of schedule with a growing body is very strenuous and players can't do 20-25 minutes in back to back games or three games over a 5 day period. "Pacing" themselves is the only way to do it - expending the amount of energy needed to match the level of competition. Gearing up for the Memorial Cup, you can guarantee that teams are trying to save up energy and not wanting players wasting energy going 100% against bottom dwellers at the end of the regular season.

However they get to focus solely on hockey in the chl route. That means more time on ice, in the gym and around the coaches watching video and working on fine tuning their game. Also even if they're not giving it 100% every game, you better believe they're getting their ***** worked off in practice. It won't be a cake walk for Werenski like some think, but it'll be nice to get his body primed for a pro schedule. Better to go from 80+ games to a pro schedule than it would 30+ to a pro schedule. Just my opinion though. Both have their pros and cons, I just think being in the winning atmosphere of London would do wonders for him. London also has a rep of spitting out NHLers, so they must be doing something right.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Milano just left the college foute and went CHL and did great while adding 15ish pounds

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad