Zach Werenski - Update: Signs 3-yr ELC (p. 15)

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
I guess the Jets shouldn't have taken Roslovic either, right? I mean, every guy drafted is just going to refuse to sign, so they can sign with their hometown team.

Time will tell... Ticked off/skeptical after the Reilly situation. I see your point, young kids are just so easily influenced. On the other hand Roslovic would be a nice payback for the Reilly debacle.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Little difference between a tiny longshot and a top end Dman who has every tool and if he somehow doesn't make it can only blame himself

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Wasn't Jack Johnson traded by the Canes to the Kings because he wouldn't sign his ELC and leave U of M?

Largely irrelevent, I know, but it's the offseason and I just like stirring the pot a bit.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Wasn't Jack Johnson traded by the Canes to the Kings because he wouldn't sign his ELC and leave U of M?

Largely irrelevent, I know, but it's the offseason and I just like stirring the pot a bit.
If I'm not mistaken it was because of his dad.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Carolina didn't want to wait on him. They were fine with him going back for his freshman season, but not his sophomore. So they traded him because they didn't want to wait.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
AP mentioned in his last article that Werenski's "family advisor" is Pat Brisson. Wasn't he Reilly's "family advisor". Should we be concerned at all? I know the circumstances are completely different but I just have a bad feeling in my gut :(

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
AP mentioned in his last article that Werenski's "family advisor" is Pat Brisson. Wasn't he Reilly's "family advisor". Should we be concerned at all? I know the circumstances are completely different but I just have a bad feeling in my gut :(

Until he signs a deal I'll have the same feeling. Most here will blow if off as undue agita but a bit of East Coast angst is called for here imo.

Hopefully Jarmo and Co thoroughly vetted him on the subject. Also by the time he is ready to sign there may very well be an open spot for him at the NHL level if that is what he is waiting for.

Anxious days ahead unless he does a Milano and goes to London instead of Ann Arbor.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Werenski isn't going to wait 4 years to be in the NHL. You can blow this fact off for the "sky is falling" thinking all you want, but those are the facts. Pat Brisson is the "family advisor" to many college kids.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Werenski isn't going to wait 4 years to be in the NHL. You can blow this fact off for the "sky is falling" thinking all you want, but those are the facts. Pat Brisson is the "family advisor" to many college kids.

Pretty much this.

Whether he plays in the OHL or the NCAA for the next two years, it doesn't really matter. Werenski, unlike Reilly, isn't a long-term prospect that four years from now is going to spurn the CBJ and go sign with another team (in this instance, for argument's sake, the Detroit Red Wings).

He's a very high profile, top-10 NHL draft pick. When is the last time any of you saw a top-10 NHL draft pick refuse to sign with the team that selected him, and how did it work out?

Perhaps the most notable is Eric Lindros. Not that I'm comparing Werenski to Lindros, but, in that instance, the Nordiques knew for a long stretch of time that Lindros wasn't going to sign with them, and were able to parlay him into multiple Stanley Cup champions, acquiring several pieces that became key parts of those Cup winning teams in Colorado.

Frankly, there's a big difference from a fourth round pick that develops nicely and could become a middle pairing defenseman, and a top-ten pick that should be in the NHL in two or three years. The Jackets will know if Werenski wants to sign with them or not well before he's allowed to walk away from the franchise. You don't take chances like they did with Reilly on a top-ten pick.

Give Jarmo and JD more credit than that ;)

vannzee

Ruslan Salei fan...
Dec 18, 2010
S.E Michigan
As a Michigan hockey fan, I am fearful that the Blue Jackets will push him to pull a Milano and report to the OHL (CHL) opposed to staying in school. Has there been any rumor of this?

Jon Merrill was at Michigan for three years despite offers to go to the OHL and Jacob Trouba was at Michigan for a year after being drafted as a high pick.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
As a Michigan hockey fan, I am fearful that the Blue Jackets will push him to pull a Milano and report to the OHL (CHL) opposed to staying in school. Has there been any rumor of this?

Jon Merrill was at Michigan for three years despite offers to go to the OHL and Jacob Trouba was at Michigan for a year after being drafted as a high pick.

Werenski already said he's going back to Michigan. If he was going to London he would have already. My money is him making the Jackets next season out of camp.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa

He's back at Michigan for this season at least.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

Hes going to be in Michigan for at least this season. We'll see how long he's at your program, but you've got him for at least one more.

ndd17

In Eaves we trust!
Jul 14, 2012
Russia
Hes going to be in Michigan for at least this season. We'll see how long he's at your program, but you've got him for at least one more.
Keywords here-at least one more.
Then another year, and another one, and another one and finally UFA status.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Keywords here-at least one more.
Then another year, and another one, and another one and finally UFA status.

If he isn't ready for the nhl in 2 years time, then he isn't the quality of player that jarmo thought he was when he was 4th overall on jarmo's draftday list.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
If he isn't ready for the nhl in 2 years time, then he isn't the quality of player that jarmo thought he was when he was 4th overall on jarmo's draftday list.

He's implying Werenski is going to Mike Reilly us. Which for some reason people can't seem to get out of their minds.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
He's implying Werenski is going to Mike Reilly us. Which for some reason people can't seem to get out of their minds.

Yeah i know, and I'm saying he can't reilly us if he is nhl ready before he's done with college.

Reilly is just becoming nhl ready now (maybe), so for him he wasn't foregoing any nhl salary to go ufa, he was just totally free. Werenski would have to pass on nhl salary in order to wait that long.

ndd17

In Eaves we trust!
Jul 14, 2012
Russia
Werenski would have to pass on nhl salary in order to wait that long.
Reasonable argument. I still think Werenski sign with us and don't go the way of Reilly. But eventually believe it only after signing the contract.Until then i'll doubt.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Reasonable argument. I still think Werenski sign with us and don't go the way of Reilly. But eventually believe it only after signing the contract.Until then i'll doubt.

The vast majority of college players sigh with their teams. It's always in the back of your mind; but I've seen no warning signs with this guy.

I'm no sure why this wasn't addressed in the last CBA; maybe the players union wouldn't move on it and the owners didn't care enough to deal with it.

I'm not going to regress into paranoia every time we draft a college player. It's no way to live your life and there is certainly no reason to drone on about it for years.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
The whole reason Reilly's such an expletive deleted is because it's so rare for someone to do what he did. Let's stop acting like Werenski's going to bail until there's at least a hint that he might. Because right now, there isn't.

5StringBuzz

May 10, 2007
Columbus, OH
I'm not going to criticize anybody for worrying about any college player pulling another Reilly on us. Fool me once, etc. A GM has to weigh the risks of every pick, and I'd argue that risk assessment is more critical the higher you are in the draft order. Picking Werenski carries additional risk compared to a non-college player because of this CBA loophole, and that risk is real until he signs. Presumably having a solid handle on the true risk of a choice like this is one of the reasons a GM earns a big salary. Am I going to worry about it day in/day out? No. I'll worry about it more if he doesn't sign before next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad