Zach "the awesome player" Hyman

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
maybe the problem is with the digger since while he tries hard can't actually get the puck to the playmaker who in turn can't feed the scorer

Perhaps that is your interpretation but it might not be valid as Matthews consistently remains among the best finishers in the league last year and this year. The constants are Hyman and Matthews in that outcome and he continues to produce with a revolving door at RW.

You seem to be implying when the RWers Nylander/Marner (the playmakers) go pointless & struggle for games at a stretch that its Hyman's fault that they're not combining with Auston to create offense as they're takes to do.

Babcock constantly rotates Nylander/Brown/Marner the RWs as the weakest links of the trio, but how come you don't seem to believe they're at fault?

Hyman scoring more goals (5) than Marner (2) /Nylander (4), despite you calling him the plug of the line should help pinpoint the players that should be drawing the criticism. IMO

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Perhaps that is your interpretation but it might not be valid as Matthews consistently remains among the best finishers in the league last year and this year. The constants are Hyman and Matthews in that outcome and he continues to produce with a revolving door at RW.

You seem to be implying when the RWers Nylander/Marner (the playmakers) go pointless & struggle for games at a stretch that its Hyman's fault that they're not combining with Auston to create offense as they're takes to do.

Babcock constantly rotates Nylander/Brown/Marner the RWs as the weakest links of the trio, but how come you don't seem to believe they're at fault?

Hyman scoring more goals (5) than Marner (2) /Nylander (4), despite you calling him the plug of the line should help pinpoint the players that should be drawing the criticism. IMO
I will say this Marner / Nylander / Brown are not good enough to play with Hyman, and this is no joke. Having said that, which player has least trading value? Are all NHL GMs stupid? Hyman has NHL first line winger hockey IQ with AHL 4th line winger hockey skill set. Matthews has both hockey IQ and skill set to make it work. Hyman is OK with Matthew when it is 5 on 5, but it is not OK when it is 6 on 5.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Babcock (as do I agree with him) that RW is the problem, where you seem to believe LW is the lines problem.

Hyman is doing his job as expected (while not having top line talent), while Marner/Nylander are not doing their jobs and performing below expectation (while having top line talent)..

Lines Roles and Responsibilites
Hyman (the worker) is aggressively forechecking, winning board battles, crashing the crease, screening the goalie and occupying the defense, and add secondary offense when posible. ... CHECK !!!
Matthews (the finisher) is potting his goals when he gets opportunities, provided by the different roles his wingers play for him, while playing a 200 ft 2-way game. CHECK !!!!
Nylander/Marner (the playmakers) role is to work with Matthews creatively generating offense together playing off each other talents while time and space is being created by the unsung player on their line. ... NON CHECK !!!!

The playmaker role of the trio is the one that struggles the most and the reason the coach attempts to fix what is broken trying to find a player that completes that role best, while leaving the ones that aren't broken and fulfilling theirs alone, when attempting to find a fully functioning trio.

Its all about roles and responsibilities and fulfilling them as per the coach.. Hyman's primary job isn't to score (as that is considered bonus) as he unselfishly does the heavy lifting so his linemates don't have to. Fans that want to swap out Hyman for a player that might score more at the expense of the other aspects are with all due respect missing the entire point of his role and what he is asked to do.
I can't speak for everyone, but for myself, I'm not upset with Hyman's performance, he's played good. The problem is with this idea that lines need "The Worker", "The Finisher" and "The Playmaker". There are plenty of examples throughout the league of that not being necessary.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
Hyman is the type of player that you need in the playoffs....he bangs and crashes and will not be intimidated..
If on the checking line , his speed and dogged determination on the forecheck could disrupt and delay the opposing teams scoring lines..
And if he were used that way he would be a fan favourite and a favourite on this board as well

But he should not be on the top offensive line...

And one last time.....the Hyman debate could be put to rest for good if babcock would at least try someone else on that line....just try......
If Hyman turns out to be the best option, then fine...
But babcock simply wont do that....I really don't get it..
Would the world as we know it end if someone else played with Mathews?

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
A very good player. He isnt some "AHL grinder" who only plays because he is "Babcock's son" or anything. Whoever makes comments like that isnt very smart. Those comments are straight up childish, and shows "insecurity".

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
He's not AWESOME. He's a 3rd line grinder largely benefitting from having one of the best centres in the world play with him.

Holy #%$....

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
He's not AWESOME. He's a 3rd line grinder largely benefitting from having one of the best centres in the world play with him.

Holy #%$....
That pass Matthews feed him for his short handed goal was awesome. Zach is obviously benefiting from playing with Matthews
Oh wait..

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
That pass Matthews feed him for his short handed goal was awesome. Zach is obviously benefiting from playing with Matthews
Oh wait..
To use one example to try and debunk that ANYONE would be benefit from playing with Matthews is asinine at best.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Oh wait..
Don't know if using this 1 example to prove Hyman's not benefiting from playing with Matthews is a hotter take than Trump today essentially saying climate change/global warming is fake because it will be the coldest NYE on record

Honestly Hyman has looked to be more offensively skilled when playing away from Matthews (SH, Hyman-Marleau-Brown line) than when he's playing with Matthews.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Holy #%$....
Oh I dont think he should be with our franchise centre. However there are a certain few who seem to believe he is a terrible player which is completely wrong.
Hyman is a solid player who would be really good in a bottom 6 role.

Reactions: Mad hatter

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Oh I dont think he should be with our franchise centre. However there are a certain few who seem to believe he is a terrible player which is completely wrong.
Hyman is a solid player who would be really good in a bottom 6 role.
thank you.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
He's easily be a fan favourite if we didn't witness so many plays just die on his stick. Put him where he belongs and people will love him.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Great goal by Hyman on the PK today.

Holy #%$....

I think that's what it comes down to. Hyman is a very nice bottom 6 player to have. Nothing against the guy and love him on the team. Saying thag, I didn't like Joey Crabb playing with Kessel and I'm not the biggest fan of Hyman with Matthews. But if it's working can't be too mad. Now that Baby's has put Willy back where he belongs the line is fine.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Kadri
Laine
Kessel
Saad
Kreider
Horvat
ROR
Karlsson
Tkachuk

quick list of players with fewer 5v5 points than Hyman. he gets tough minutes and does well with them.

Reactions: Rogie

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Interesting you think he’s third line. Because he’s playing on the first line and scoring at a first line rate.
He’s at a low-mid 40s pace.

I don’t know if I’d call that a first line rate.

Not that I mind him on the first line, spreading the scoring around is a good thing.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
He’s at a low-mid 40s pace.

I don’t know if I’d call that a first line rate.

Not that I mind him on the first line, spreading the scoring around is a good thing.

Mid-40s pace with no PP time is very close to 1st line numbers. 18 ESP puts Hyman at 75th in the NHL right now among ALL players. He's currently tied with Toews and Marleau, and ahead of Bergeron, Perry, O'Reilly, Zetterberg, H Sedin, N Backstrom, Forsberg, Crosby etc in EVEN STRENGTH PRODUCTION.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad