Player Discussion Zach Hyman

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Tough choice. Choose a team with two of the best players in the world that’s looking to build competitive depth to be a contender with one of the nicest player facilities in the league, or choose to play with a bunch of underachieving bums (that are worth 50 cents on the dollar according to the Flames beat guy that was on SiriusXM today) in the Saddledump?

Coleman was their consolation prize that must have gone there to chase the money. Regarding the rumours about a “rebuilding team” offering more money to Hyman, maybe it was the Flames then.

Still think Markstrom made a losers decision to not sign here. Every time we beat that stinky team down south it is extra sweet.

To add to discussion, he was excellent in his first game, completely as advertised. Motor that doesn't quit, relentless worker and a welcome addition to the oil. He is already becoming a fan favorite. Reminds me of the 2006 Era Oilers style player. Happy to see him pot his first in his first game with the team - could have had a few more tonight as well.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
4th best? I think he's pretty clearly the 3rd best forward on the team.

It does kinda say something though when the Leafs can find a player like this in what the ... as a 5th round pick and develop him almost perfectly, what are we doing with our player development by contrast, lol.

The Leafs didn't find him.

The Panthers did. And then Hyman dipped on them like Schultz, and Fox, and Marino etc.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Good reading the positive comments on Zach. He is a player I have always liked since very early on in his career, despite what some said about him to advance a narrative. Hyman is a player that will give you all he has got each shift. He is a puck magnet. One of the best in the NHL in getting the puck, and his skill is often undersold. Great player, he just makes players better around him. Doesn't matter if it's the first, second, or 3rd lines. Also like the reaction of the players when he scored, you can tell he sort of rubs players the right way. I hope he plays with McDavid, I think McDavid would benefit from him like Crosby did with Kunitz. Either that or Draisaitl will benefit from him. You can put him just about anywhere in the line up and he would improve that line. Also, I don't know how much has been reported on this, but Hyman and Connor Brown, another player I admire are very good friends. Brown played with McDavid in junior. Wonder if Hyman and Brown talked about him playing in Edmonton when he became a UFA.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
His style of play is much more needed on this team than say a Taylor Hall. I was a bit concerned over the length and dollar amount of this contract when it was first signed... but now after seeing him play and seeing all the other huge contracts being handed out recently.. I feel really good about this signing and player. Him and Nuge looked great together. Would be tremendous if we could have a good second line behind McDrai.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Hyman - Draisaitl - Holloway would be an awesome 2nd line of the near future. Those 3 tanks working together would be brutal for opposing defenders to play against.

I would have Nuge on one of the wings still. Nuge-Drai-Hyman/Holloway with Holloway/Hyman-McDavid-Puljujarvi being the top line.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
He is so strong on the puck and never gives up on a puck. His line was actually quite good last night and all 3 guys played well. That said, I'd still like to see Drai and Connor on separate lines.
I think Nuge can get going better as a C and then move to wing.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Next season we could give McD,Drai,Nuge,Ryan their own wingers .

Pulju,Hyman,Foegele,Yama,Holloway, Bergault, could all be in top 9 with a couple veteran wingers on 4th line

Reactions: Oilhawks and ujju2

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I thought that Nuge had a very strong game. He even took a run at Myers.

Yeah did a bit of a double take when I saw that. Had a good view of it, looked like Myers avoided the brunt of it but Nuge still made some contact. Lucky the knees weren't involved in the contact - could easily have been much worse for both parties.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Next season we could give McD,Drai,Nuge,Ryan their own wingers .

Pulju,Hyman,Foegele,Yama,Holloway, Bergault, could all be in top 9 with a couple veteran wingers on 4th line

That's actually an interesting thought. Without getting too far ahead of ourselves something like this might look really good for next year or maybe the year after:

Foegele-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Hyman-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Holloway-Nuge-Bourgault
X-Ryan-X

Although loading the top 6 would still look good as well.

Hyman-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Nuge-Draisaitl-Holloway/Bourgault
Foegele-Bourgault/Holloway-Yamamoto
X-Ryan-X

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
He’s not a line driver in the sense that he generates offence consistently regardless of his linemates but because his hard work rubs off on his teammates and his style of game is very adaptable which makes it easier for the guys on his line to do their thing.

Reactions: Oilhawks

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
What I didn't notice in preseason was how good a faceoff man Hyman was. Tippett used him often

He's really good in really any puck battle situation including faceoffs.

The length of his deal is obviously a risk, but you get a lot of player for $5.5M currently. Can use him all over the place.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
He's really good in really any puck battle situation including faceoffs.

The length of his deal is obviously a risk, but you get a lot of player for $5.5M currently. Can use him all over the place.
At the very least, when he declines, it should coincide with the cap making leaps forward. It's the same thing as with RNH

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Funny thing about this contract, and it is classic, but with in months is actually a good deal. Basically, the Brady Turtle getting 8 mill plus, unreal and horrible. No one liked the Hyman deal, me included, but with in months it is actually great bang for the buck, that's just how the NHL, and all major sports, work.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Even as it is now, Hyman and RNH are being paid as 2nd liners with the contract reset that we’ve just seen ($7M is the new $5M and so on)

Exactly. People at 5.5 mill is a first line star contract, then with in months realize it is the new average player contract. Hyman and Nuge are just the average 2-3 rd line contracts now.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Was talking to an NHL scout at a junior game over the weekend and he was raving about this signing for Edmonton. Said he's the perfect character guy, and brings a drive and grit that Edmonton badly needed.

He also touched on Keith a bit. Said he actually liked the add, but hopes that Bouchard steps up as the season goes on, to give Keith some regular season rest, so he isn't burnt out come playoff time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad