Player Discussion Zach Hyman

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Not a huge fan of the contract length but imo the dollars are ok. Welcome to Edmonton Hyman. This is going to be a great pick up at least for the first few years. He's going to be excellent with Davo.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
well he is no Blake Coleman but at least he is a little cheaper

5.5M cap hit is 132nd highest in the league. That is a remarkable amount for a first pairing winger. He cap hit is the same as:

Druin
Leddy
Josh Anderson
Zucker
Ladd
Horvatt
Parylko
Eberle
Nyquist
Stralman
Konecky

the only guys who are significantly more valuable will be getting big raises in the nest 12 months

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I think we will absolutely love him for like 3 years. The remainder of that deal time will tell.

We are a better team with him in our top 6 though, hopefully he can cash a few more tap ins then Chiasson

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
The contract length freaks me (and everyone else here, from what I can tell) out, but we have to look at the team through the lens of the next 4 years. 2026/2027 and beyond don’t really matter if we can’t convince our superstars to stay. Based on that, Hyman is a great add.

Reactions: oilers'72

Ementy

May 11, 2010
Our wings got a lot more competitive and improved scoring no doubt over Kariah and Kahun with this signing and the Foegele trade.

And if your RHD is Barrie - Bouchard and Ceci (As rumored) All we need after that is a starter and maybe a 3c.

Joseppi

Oct 12, 2008
Kepler-22b
Been a fan of the Oilers and Leafs for a long time, and I can say without question that he's going to fit like a glove.

Yeah, the term of the contract is big and he likely won't be worth the money for the last couple years, but he'll earn every penny along the way.

He's the type of player that makes everyone around him better, the workmanlike mentality that drives people around him. He's going to be a fan favourite.

Welcome to Edmonton Zach!

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
You guys were a starting goalie away from an A+ free agency day.

If you guys didn’t sign Ceci would have loved to flip Holden to the Oilers to anchor that bottom pairing.

Do you guys see Hyman getting reps on PP1?

Reactions: Oilhawks and snipes

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Watched his media availability and it seems like he is a very personable and humble guy. It was also pretty nice to hear that he toured the city with his family on his own accord and is ecstatic to be here. I think he will become a fan favorite in short order :nod:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I think he’ll be an instant fan favourite here.

He battles hard every single shift and wants to be here, very well spoken in his interviews. Comes across as a likeable guy.

His style of play has always been loved by Oiler fans

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
You guys were a starting goalie away from an A+ free agency day.

If you guys didn’t sign Ceci would have loved to flip Holden to the Oilers to anchor that bottom pairing.

Do you guys see Hyman getting reps on PP1?

He’ll be the right shot net front presence. Him and Pulju will likely get split reps but I’d imagine Hyman would have the inside track on PP1 to start.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The best part of this signing is what on earth are Toronto fans going to use for an excuse in the McDavid vs. Matthews debate now? It's always been "Matthews plays with Hyman". I'm going to lose it if Hyman puts up a nice career high 25-30G 60P season and await their excuses.
The potential for Leafs bashing ammo in this Hyman signing is sky high. We heard so much about how Hyman sucked and was holding Matthews back, back in the day. Looks like Leafs fans eventually came around to Babcocks thinking on the player and realize his worth now. They are still saying stuff like career highs 41 pts durrr. But it’ll be hilarious to see Hyman streak right pass that mark taking crazy minutes on our league best Pp and playing with an actual generational player in McDavid 5v5.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Someone on Reddit mentioned this earlier and I agreed 100%.

Hyman is Yamamoto with size. He is the player Yamamoto could be if Yamamoto wasn't so small.

He is relentless, has a constant motor and makes guys around him play harder.

If Yamamoto has a bounce back year having 2 guys like that in the top 6 is ... Chefs kiss

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
The potential for Leafs bashing ammo in this Hyman signing is sky high. We heard so much about how Hyman sucked and was holding Matthews back, back in the day. Looks like Leafs fans eventually came around to Babcocks thinking on the player and realize his worth now. They are still saying stuff like career highs 41 pts durrr. But it’ll be hilarious to see Hyman streak right pass that mark taking crazy minutes on our league best Pp and playing with an actual generational player in McDavid 5v5.

Yeah theyre hating on him as hard as they've ever been...would love to see a 60p season. I thought the contract was going to be atrocious, 7 years is bad and imo 2 years too long but there were worse players signed to similar today. Same with Ceci. Love to see them be wrong just like they were with Barrie. Pens and sens fans were happy with ceci in a more limited role, not his fault Toronto needed him to play 2D.

Looking forward to watching this new forward group next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad