Player Discussion Zach Hyman

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
We're back to being a difficult team to play against. It's been a long long time since I could say that. Still need a nasty defensemen. Where's Craig Muni or Manson when you need them. Lol

Or a warrior like Jason Smith. We do need an in season trade for another D man though.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Hyman definitely has Ryan Smyth vibes. Guy is going to be a fan favourite here in short time and probably rocking the A on his jersey at some point.

I do believe he will fit with Mcdavid like a glove. Not sure about Puju though. Feel like they both (Hyman and Puju) have a tendency go to the front of the net and Puju hasn’t displayed enough hockey iq at the NHL level to know how to open up for one timers.

I hope that comes along for him, huge fan of Jesse. Just not sure Puju is the right fit with Hyman and Connor.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I'm hoping Hyman and Cici rip it up and Barrie continues his pace. Get f***ed Totonto!

Toronto fan -- here in peace.

I liked all three of the now-former Leafs that are Oilers. I think all three can be successful and strong contributors for you guys.

Hyman -- every Leaf fan wanted him back. The issue is the amount and the term (relative to his age, style of play, and recent injury history). He is a hard-worker, a more skilled player than he gets credit for, a penalty killer, and a great guy/model citizen. You won't regret this signing until years 4 to 7...unless he gets hurt again.

Barrie -- you guys know exactly what you have in Tyson. Toronto needed D-men that could defend. We saw what a difference Brodie made for us last year. Barrie will continue to be a player on your PP and rack up points that way, but he is not a strong defender or PK option. You already knew that.

Ceci -- he was overpaid and miscast in Toronto. He should never have been a top pairing partner for Rielly. He is not a top 2 and maybe not a top 4. He is a good bottom pairing guy, a PK option and seems like a decent guy. You might feel it is too much money and term for a bottom pairing guy...maybe you are constructed in such a way cap-wise that this is not an issue.​

All of these moves seem like "win-now" types of moves and McDavid and Leon are a year older, so it certainly seems like a good time to take this approach. I know the hands are tied in goalie...I would have thought you would have made a move there...Smith is solid, but a gamble at that age and an 82-game season....probably something else you already know.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

Saw this, very cool. Pro Am is doing great with this idea.

I was curious as to what his old number, 11 meant. It seems a bit more complicated but saw this:

“It is usually about doing what is “right in your own eyes.” It’s action based on “what I feel,” not “what is written.””

Interesting

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park
Hyman definitely has Ryan Smyth vibes. Guy is going to be a fan favourite here in short time and probably rocking the A on his jersey at some point.

I do believe he will fit with Mcdavid like a glove. Not sure about Puju though. Feel like they both (Hyman and Puju) have a tendency go to the front of the net and Puju hasn’t displayed enough hockey iq at the NHL level to know how to open up for one timers.

I hope that comes along for him, huge fan of Jesse. Just not sure Puju is the right fit with Hyman and Connor.
I think Hyman and Pulju are gonna be cycling monsters this coming season for McDavid. Those 2 are gonna wear the dmen that have the McDavid "assignment" down so much by their relentless forchecking

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Who was the last player with Jewish heritage to play for the Oilers? IIRC Michael Henrich had Jewish heritage but never did very well for us obviously. I had no idea that Hyman was Jewish when we signed him. He is a good role model for people in general, bright and very hard working.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Who was the last player with Jewish heritage to play for the Oilers? IIRC Michael Henrich had Jewish heritage but never did very well for us obviously. I had no idea that Hyman was Jewish when we signed him. He is a good role model for people in general, bright and very hard working.
Not familiar with Henrich. Must have played a long time ago. Yeah I myself thought the name Hyman sounded German, not Jewish. I don't know any Hebrew, I just have the genes. The more I see pictures of him, the more it makes sense though. He does have the Ashkenazi (or Euro-Jewish) look.

Regardless, I'm really glad he's on our team and he sounds like a really likeable dude. He's going to be a fan favorite for sure! I've said it before, don't be surprised if he nets 35 if he can stay healthy.

Last edited:

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Good player, hope he excels here. This thread kinda sounds like when we signed Milan thou...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad