Player Discussion Zach Hyman

Oilers In Tree

Sep 10, 2021
Edmonton
Why would they do Sanskrit? Hes punjabi and there is a punjabi language and alphabet
Yeah, I didn’t really think that through lol. My ex was Punjabi and my mother’s side of the family is fijian (Hindi). They were both proud of khaira equally but yeah he’s Punjabi so scratch what I said.

Oilhawks

Not-my-fault Skinner
Nov 24, 2011
I seen this in another teams forum:

Zach Hyman, for example, was pursued by the Flames before the former Leafs favourite chose to play alongside the world’s best player in Edmonton’s fancy arena.

Tough choice. Choose a team with two of the best players in the world that’s looking to build competitive depth to be a contender with one of the nicest player facilities in the league, or choose to play with a bunch of underachieving bums (that are worth 50 cents on the dollar according to the Flames beat guy that was on SiriusXM today) in the Saddledump?

Coleman was their consolation prize that must have gone there to chase the money. Regarding the rumours about a “rebuilding team” offering more money to Hyman, maybe it was the Flames then.

Last edited:

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I seen this in another teams forum:

Zach Hyman, for example, was pursued by the Flames before the former Leafs favourite chose to play alongside the world’s best player in Edmonton’s fancy arena.

That's a line from an Eric Francis article about why Calgary isn't attracting free agents.
If I remember right, his excuses were:
1) the city
2) the weather
3) Sutter.

I loved Hyman's answer to Tim near the start of the interview when Tim asked what it's like going from Marner & Matthews to Connor & Leon and he says "Who? I don't know who those guys are." (jokingly of course). :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Cloned

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
You have to think Hyman will have an extra half-second everytime he touches the puck because everyone will watching McDavid, double teaming McDavid.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Was just browsing around for more hi-lights of Hyman and stumbled upon this. It’s only 2 games but back to back vs the flames… What an annoying player to be playing against. Glad he is on our side.

This quality is why he is going to be magic with McDavid.

He's one of the better board battlers in the NHL, even if he's double teamed. If he's playing with McDavid teams won't be able to double up on him on the wall, so he'll just have to win 1 on 1 battles with Connor lurking elsewhere in the zone. Having Puljujarvi on the other wing is going to be a lot to handle for teams down low.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Every single time we played the Leafs, I would moan in out GDT's that we need more guys like Hyman. Guys who can actually win board battles and do something with the puck. Loved this signing. Foegele looks the same. Ryan looks like a good player as well.

Reactions: snipes and Oilhawks

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Every single time we played the Leafs, I would moan in out GDT's that we need more guys like Hyman. Guys who can actually win board battles and do something with the puck. Loved this signing. Foegele looks the same. Ryan looks like a good player as well.

Guys like Hyman, Foegele, Puljujarvi, and Holloway (if he’s ever healthy) are exactly the type of players we need to be filling out our roster with up front.

Guys with size, speed, grit, and tenacity on the forecheck with some skill as well.

I am more optimistic about this forward group than I can remember in a long time.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Bump

So how about this guy? :D

Was saying in the GDT how much people will love this guy. All over the puck and smart simple plays like showing Draisaitl his paddle. I mean this is his FIRST regular season game with the Oilers and he's figured out what several players before never have. Show your stick, have it down on ice ready to tap in the perfect Drai feed. He should be with Drai more often as well. I also think a player should be able to score 20 when playing with Drai a lot. For sure he sets up guys enough times.

Its interesting as well that Hyman pretty instantly hits the ground running as our 4th best forward. I mean he was the best player on his line tonight, not even close. Speed, energy, aggressive to pucks, aggressive to net. A lot of swamp in this dog.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Was saying in the GDT how much people will love this guy. All over the puck and smart simple plays like showing Draisaitl his paddle. I mean this is his FIRST regular season game with the Oilers and he's figured out what several players before never have. Show your stick, have it down on ice ready to tap in the perfect Drai feed. He should be with Drai more often as well. I also think a player should be able to score 20 when playing with Drai a lot. For sure he sets up guys enough times.

Its interesting as well that Hyman pretty instantly hits the ground running as our 4th best forward. I mean he was the best player on his line tonight, not even close. Speed, energy, aggressive to pucks, aggressive to net. A lot of swamp in this dog.

4th best? I think he's pretty clearly the 3rd best forward on the team.

It does kinda say something though when the Leafs can find a player like this in what the ... as a 5th round pick and develop him almost perfectly, what are we doing with our player development by contrast, lol.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
4th best? I think he's pretty clearly the 3rd best forward on the team.

It does kinda say something though when the Leafs can find a player like this in what the ... as a 5th round pick and develop him almost perfectly, what are we doing with our player development by contrast, lol.

Hmmm. Bouchard and Nurse will be the best D on any Canadian team, if not already, then soon. Not that I'm arguing your point. Drafting for this org has been really bad past the first rounds. But we all know that.

Yeah, as far as Hyman/ Pulju I find Jesse has more raw tools and Hyman thinks a better game. Nice problem to have both of them. I really am hoping that Hymans balls to the walls philosophy rubs off on RNH. Not holding my breath but Hyman was creating everything on that line, Nuge and Yama banging for rebounds. But you couldn't ask for more for a first game from him.

Nice that both him and Pulju got goal first game. Start the season running.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
They need to put Nuge-Mcdavid and Hyman-Drai together

Nuge didn't do a thing with McDavid last year. Played a good chunk of the season with the best player in the world and had a third-liner scoring rate in those minutes.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Nuge didn't do a thing with McDavid last year. Played a good chunk of the season with the best player in the world and had a third-liner scoring rate in those minutes.

I would try it again, RNH is a mentally weak player and I think the pressure of a contract year got to him, if we could get

RNH McDavid Puljujarvi
Hyman Draisaitl Yamamoto

Going that would be really good for us. If RNH stinks it up again with McDavid though you obviously move away from that in a hurry but maybe now that he doesn't have the pressure of a contract hanging over his head he can freaking relax and go back to cashing in McPoints.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I would try it again, RNH is a mentally weak player and I think the pressure of a contract year got to him, if we could get

RNH McDavid Puljujarvi
Hyman Draisaitl Yamamoto

Going that would be really good for us. If RNH stinks it up again with McDavid though you obviously move away from that in a hurry.

That would be a reasonable explanation. Except:

RNH w/McD: 1.07 P/60 (actually that's a 4th liner rate, not even 3rd liner caliber)

RNH w/Drai: 2.07 P/60 (first liner scoring rate)

If RNH had a mental holdup it didn't seem to stop him with Drai.

I really don't get the point anyways, Hyman seems like an ideal fit with McDavid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad