Player Discussion Zach Hyman

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012

Hyman explains his decision to sign with Oilers - Sportsnet.ca

Comes across as a thoughtful and high character guy, I think he’ll bring a lot to this team off the ice.

He strikes me as an engaging and intelligent person who is a professional through and through. He’s going to be a fan favourite. The full interview in the second link is a good interview.

Sure, an airplane ticket might be chump change for him...but good on him for taking the initiative to check out the city and the team on his own terms.

Reactions: bellagiobob

ehhteen

5-14-6-1
Jan 15, 2010
Connor's Place
The way Hyman plays with his relentless forecheck and constant motor, I feel it’s gonna really rub off on young guys like Foegele/Yamamoto. Our forecheck this coming season is going to be insane. Maybe just maybe this + fans coming back will reinvigorate a guy like Kassian and he’s gonna be just a menace out there.

Super excited to see Hyman play. He’s gonna be a fan favourite as early as Game 1.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Hyman is a guy that jumpstarts every line he plays on. Great defensively, one of the best forecheckers in the league, he knows his job, and it's one he does very well: dig the puck out of the dirty areas and throw it out front to the star on his line. Seriously, the guy has eyes in the back of his head, always seems to know where his stars are on the ice.

While his hands have improved a ton and he will get a few goals, he's never going to be a sniper. He'll hit a lot of chest protectors for sure. But he knows where to be on the ice to bury some garbage goals.

I haven't been this disappointed to see a guy leave the Leafs since Sundin. Treat him well, Oilers fans. He's a hard working guy with a ton of character (which surprised me given his family is quite well off, guess that says more about me though). I have a feeling he'll join the likes of Bozak, Kaberle and Kessel as guys who left Toronto and quickly won a cup.

Dirk Dangler

Jun 24, 2016
He’ll be the right shot net front presence. Him and Pulju will likely get split reps but I’d imagine Hyman would have the inside track on PP1 to start.
And I think that will be a huge boost to an already great PP. if there was a weakness it was Neal and Chiasson. Although they are decent in front of the net both of those guys were too slow and could not maintain or regain possession for the skilled guys, which is Hyman’s bread and butter.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
The way Hyman plays with his relentless forecheck and constant motor, I feel it’s gonna really rub off on young guys like Foegele/Yamamoto. Our forecheck this coming season is going to be insane. Maybe just maybe this + fans coming back will reinvigorate a guy like Kassian and he’s gonna be just a menace out there.

Super excited to see Hyman play. He’s gonna be a fan favourite as early as Game 1.

Yup. Our forecheck will hem teams in big time. This is the game in the new NHL. Get turnovers. McDavid and Drai will thrive with players like Hyman and Foegele, along with Yamo and Kass.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

Hopefully with Hyman, Foegele and Archibald as energy guys maybe it will rub off on Kassian and he will return to form.

I don't think this rubs off or reinvigorates Kassian, however it does put him in a much better spot.

Short of a few games vs. SJ in the playoffs, Kassian has never been much of a kamikaze forechecker, even when the Oil needed him to be. He's far better as the second guy in and in a support role. It's why he's worked well with Drai, who's a monster when it comes to possession along the boards.

However, if he's lining up across from Archibald or Foegele, he gets to go back to that second-man-in, where he's far more effective.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

I think Foegele and Yamo already bring that to their game. Kassian is the one that could watch and learn.

Reactions: Not Canada Drai

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Does Hyman help ensure that Tippett puts McDavid and Drai on different lines? If that is the case, then I'm even more excited about this pickup.

It's not like Tippett couldn't do the obvious before and make a more balanced attack with 2 lines, but whatever it takes to push him away from the 1 line team is a great benefit to the team.

Reactions: CanmoreMike

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Does Hyman help ensure that Tippett puts McDavid and Drai on different lines? If that is the case, then I'm even more excited about this pickup.

It's not like Tippett couldn't do the obvious before and make a more balanced attack with 2 lines, but whatever it takes to push him away from the 1 line team is a great benefit to the team.
If you were in Tippett's spot you would do the same. You never want to put your best players on one line but you do it if the alternative is making lines with one decent player on it, and the opposition just double checks them and paralyzes everything

ehhteen

5-14-6-1
Jan 15, 2010
Connor's Place

Seems like it. Only really time you see them load up is probably near the end of a period, after a penalty kill, or if we’re down with like 10 minutes to go.

Draisaitl - McDavid - Hyman would be a nasty nasty line.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I can only hope Hyman is as good as advertised in this thread. I’ll judge for myself.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It's also good to have an older and younger version of a player. Foegele can learn a lot from Hyman. In time, they likely switch roles

And Holloway. Pulju, Yamamoto, Hyman, Holloway and Foegele are dogged on pucks. No easy games against the Oilers just because Connor or Leon has an off night any more.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad