Player Discussion Zach Hyman

Leonardlizard

Dec 3, 2021
I love him as a player and seems to be a great guy as well. I feel like Zach is probably one of the most intelligent players on the team..very well spoken and thinking how well he was with Ben too. Hard worker and is always in the thick of it. Any video along the glass shows how much shit he has to put up with in the corner...just heavy battling... His role has to be absolutely f***ing exhausting and I think about him everytime he goes through all that...gets the puck to nurse and nurse just sends a wrist shot 20 feet wide.

I wish they'd push him back a bit off the post during the pp .. I feel like he'd score more / have less called back lol

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Are you guys serious? Hyman is way better than Smyth. The numbers back it up, the eye test backs it up, analytics weren't really a thing when Smyth played but Hyman aces those every year so doubt it'd be better. The guy is probably our best non McDrai puck carrier/playdriver/chance generator while also having PK utility etc.
Smyth wasn't playing with the two best players in the league. He was playing with guys like Horcoff and Hemsky yet scored more goals than Hyman could ever dream of without the precision pinpoint passing of guys like McD and Drai backing it up. Without playing with great players Hyman would be a 20 goal scorer. Like he was. No disrespect, love him, but lets not be ridiculous even comparing the guy to Smyth.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
Smyth wasn't playing with the two best players in the league. He was playing with guys like Horcoff and Hemsky yet scored more goals than Hyman could ever dream of without the precision pinpoint passing of guys like McD and Drai backing it up. Without playing with great players Hyman would be a 20 goal scorer. Like he was. No disrespect, love him, but lets not be ridiculous even comparing the guy to Smyth.
Holy shit. Smyth being underrated big time. I don't know, or care who is the better player analytically. Smyth literally bled orange and blue (copper and blue). I love Hyman, but he ain't in the same hemisphere as Smyth in terms of what he gave to the Oilers. I'm sure he'll get there, but he ain't there yet.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
This guy can do no wrong. He could fit into any generation of hockey and would succeed. After the dad's trip, it's clear his upbringing had a lot to do with that, but he's one of the good ones.

The Smyth comparison isn't fair. This is Hyman's second season with the team. But he would have fit in damn well with the style of play of the 90's and early 00's Oilers.

sandhu111

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton, AB
The Smyth comparison to be honest is made because a bit of style of play. Not flashy but skilled in different ways. Play there ass off majority of nights. A player you would want your kid to watch. I grew up watching Smyth and hemsky as my favorite players.
He is a Smyth light player for me but everyone has their own viewpoints.
Big difference also being Smyth was drafted developed and bled copper and blue with a very sad exit and a great goodbye back in oilers colors.
It is unfair to compare hyman to something like that.

Reactions: Leonardlizard

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
The Smyth comparison to be honest is made because a bit of style of play. Not flashy but skilled in different ways. Play there ass off majority of nights. A player you would want your kid to watch. I grew up watching Smyth and hemsky as my favorite players.
He is a Smyth light player for me but everyone has their own viewpoints.
Big difference also being Smyth was drafted developed and bled copper and blue with a very sad exit and a great goodbye back in oilers colors.
It is unfair to compare hyman to something like that.
Like you said. Similar players, but call me in a few year when Hyman gets a mouth full of teeth knocked out and gets back on the ice. Hyman is a beauty, an absolute gem. He ain't on Smyth's level when it's come to Oilers that bled Orange and Blue. Call me in a couple years and lets compare. No comparison as of yet

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Yeah, a prime Smyth would be a 100 point player with MacD and Draisaitl bouncing pucks off his ass on the PP.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
Yeah, a prime Smyth would be a 100 point player with MacD and Draisaitl bouncing pucks off his ass on the PP.
It ain't even about points. What Smyth gave to this team should never be questioned. He left it all out there during some of our darkest days. Smyth, Hemsky, Horcoff... newer fans don't know what it was like in that era. We got by laying it all on the table. Those guys fought as hard as any Oiler ever has

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
It ain't even about points. What Smyth gave to this team should never be questioned. He left it all out there during some of our darkest days. Smyth, Hemsky, Horcoff... newer fans don't know what it was like in that era. We got by laying it all on the table. Those guys fought as hard as any Oiler ever has
Fought very hard with little to show for it until the P-hole came to town)))

sandhu111

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton, AB
Agreed that's when I first became a fan of hockey. For pure skill hemsky was just my favorite to watch. Were spoiled with it now back then he was what we had for breathtaking plays.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
What was the story with the trade for his rights (that was rejected) again? Ken offered like a 7th to negotiate and TOR GM got all upset about that or something?
The rumour I remember was that we wanted to trade a 6th to Toronto so that we could sign Hyman to an 8 year deal and lower his cap hit by ~250k.

At the time people were saying Dubas didn't want to help us by letting us add an 8th year but now the same people are saying the Hyman contract is too long and will end up biting us in the ass. Completely contradictory.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
What was the story with the trade for his rights (that was rejected) again? Ken offered like a 7th to negotiate and TOR GM got all upset about that or something?
And I think asked for a 2nd instead. I thought the Oilers were willing to go to like a 3rd, but Dubas needed to be heroic

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
The rumour I remember was that we wanted to trade a 6th to Toronto so that we could sign Hyman to an 8 year deal and lower his cap hit by ~250k.

At the time people were saying Dubas didn't want to help us by letting us add an 8th year but now the same people are saying the Hyman contract is too long and will end up biting us in the ass. Completely contradictory.
Yep the pick ended up being Petrov if anyone is curious.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Kudos to a great player and a genuine good human being.

Bumping to ask a question.

13 games left in the regular season (2 against AZ, singles against SJS, ANA, CAL, LAK and the rest against DAL, VAN VGK, COL, STL).

Does Hyman finish with more than 55 goals, does he achieve 60?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Kudos to a great player and a genuine good human being.

Bumping to ask a question.

13 games left in the regular season (2 against AZ, singles against SJS, ANA, CAL, LAK and the rest against DAL, VAN VGK, COL, STL).

Does Hyman finish with more than 55 goals, does he achieve 60?
What a guy, and so , so happy for him. I think he'll finish with more than 55, not sure about the 60. Sometimes when the team seems to be overly involved in getting guys records, bonuses, milestones, it can come at the potential expense of the success of the team. Don't get me wrong, its' a team sport and I really do love the way the teammates love it when someone achieves something big. But I have a feeling that now that Hyman has his 50, maybe McDavid shoots a bit more or tries other options, I don't know. Hyman is still an excellent option for sure. I felt a bit bad for him to get that 50th, and then the team shit the bed the rest of the game against an opponent they should have crushed, let alone beat. A great accomplishment, but some of the lustre was taken off of it by the meltdown. I'm sure at the end of the season, or when he sits back in his retirement chair, it will really sink in, and he can enjoy the satisfaction even more.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Not sure if this has been brought up but has there been a team that has 4 players on the roster that have had 50 goal seasons I wonder? Connor Leon Zach Corey, that's pretty cool!

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Not sure if this has been brought up but has there been a team that has 4 players on the roster that have had 50 goal seasons I wonder? Connor Leon Zach Corey, that's pretty cool!

80s Oilers had them in them all in their actual prime (Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Anderson), you could say 5 really for the 87-88 season by adding Craig Simpson, he had 43 goals in only 59 games, so that would be a lock for 50 if he didn't miss some time.

Reactions: brentashton

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
80s Oilers had them in them all in their actual prime (Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Anderson), you could say 5 really for the 87-88 season by adding Craig Simpson, he had 43 goals in only 59 games, so that would be a lock for 50 if he didn't miss some time.
Thanks for that, I did wonder if the 80's teams had that or more. Pretty impressive all around!

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
The 2001-02 Detroit Red Wing team had five by my count.

Yzerman, Fedorov, Shanahan, Robatille, and Hull.

• Wow
Reactions: elmeroil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad