Player Discussion Zach Hyman

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Wait...that was tweeted today and not two summers ago when he signed?

Bunting isn't even in the top 100 for points. :laugh:

Real shrewed by not bending the knee and taking a 7th rounder for his rights. That sure showed both Kenny and Zach.
Doesn't matter. Bunting plays for the Leafs that have 31 wins. The Oilers only have 28

Reactions: Ritchie Valens

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
To be fair, the majority of people who hated the deal hated it because of its length. Which is still a legitimate concern. Some players certainly age well into their mid 30s, but most don't.
Lots disliked it and were stating that he was a similar player to Coleman and in some cases that Coleman was a better player.

Probably the same posters racing over to HFCalgary to tell them how much better Bennett was going to be after we picked draisaitl.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Wait...that was tweeted today and not two summers ago when he signed?

Bunting isn't even in the top 100 for points. :laugh:

Real shrewed by not bending the knee and taking a 7th rounder for his rights. That sure showed both Kenny and Zach.
But isn't it the case that Bunting will sign for $950K next year as a UFA even if he puts up 50 points just so that the Leafs can win their second straight cup. That is how championship teams are built!!! Or maybe, just maybe the far superior late blooming UFA Bunting, who will be 28 at the start for the season, may look at Hyman and say..Hey. If I'm really better than that guy maybe I deserve $6M or how about $7M. Of course all the Leaf fans will be more than happy to see him get it just to keep him in the fold!!

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Doesn't matter. Bunting plays for the Leafs that have 31 wins. The Oilers only have 28

But isn't it the case that Bunting will sign for $950K next year as a UFA even if he puts up 50 points just so that the Leafs can win their second straight cup. That is how championship teams are built!!! Or maybe, just maybe the far superior late blooming UFA Bunting, who will be 28 at the start for the season, may look at Hyman and say..Hey. If I'm really better than that guy maybe I deserve $6M or how about $7M. Of course all the Leaf fans will be more than happy to see him get it just to keep him in the fold!!

I'm just waiting for Bunting to one-up Hyman in Leaf land and cement his legacy when his long awaited murdery mystery novel gets released.

"Why would I want to write children's books? They can't even read good yet."
-Michael Bunting

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Lots disliked it and were stating that he was a similar player to Coleman and in some cases that Coleman was a better player.

Probably the same posters racing over to HFCalgary to tell them how much better Bennett was going to be after we picked draisaitl.
There is also that vocal minority that pretty much hate any move we make.

Hyman plays nothing like Ryan Smyth, but reminds me so much of Ryan Smyth.

Absolutely beautiful player.
Similar nose lol.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

A poster that shall not be named called him a glorified Kassian. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
There is also that vocal minority that pretty much hate any move we make.

Similar nose lol.

Oddly enough, a lot of them having worshipped the guy due to his underlying analytics but then scolding the team for betting on him, which seems weird. Isn't the point of using analytics when it comes to free agency to determine a good UFA add? Use them to avoid the Lucic, Brouwer, Neal's etc and pay the guys that are expected to continue to be good / outperform the "UFA overpay"

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Oddly enough, a lot of them having worshipped the guy due to his underlying analytics but then scolding the team for betting on him, which seems weird. Isn't the point of using analytics when it comes to free agency to determine a good UFA add? Use them to avoid the Lucic, Brouwer, Neal's etc and pay the guys that are expected to continue to be good / outperform the "UFA overpay"
I get length can be scary, but you go any shorter and you start paying more per year. We need salaries as low as they can be the next few years.

Deal with the length issue if and when it becomes an issue. Just make sure you are expected some good years out of the guy you are signing and not have concerns that year 1 or 2 you are going to have an issue

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
It was only a matter of time before this prospect broke out.

Now I suppose the real question, can he continue this for the remainder of his career?

Last edited:

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I get length can be scary, but you go any shorter and you start paying more per year. We need salaries as low as they can be the next few years.

Deal with the length issue if and when it becomes an issue. Just make sure you are expected some good years out of the guy you are signing and not have concerns that year 1 or 2 you are going to have an issue

Agreed. I wouldn't have minded the pick trade to get an 8 year contract to bring it down even further (though Petrov might end up being a decent middle 6 guy). The cap will be going up quite a bit by the second half of that contract and it'll be a lot easier to bury a $5M player in the bottom 6 if needed. Compare that to $6M back in 2016 or whatever when that massive blunder of $6M~ guys were signed which was top line winger money and $5M is going to be relatively low when the cap is $90M+

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006

Damn, why are Leafs and Leaf's fans always winning everything? Hockey seasons, arguments, twitter wars, contracts.... it's like they just don't know how to lose.

Agreed. I wouldn't have minded the pick trade to get an 8 year contract to bring it down even further (though Petrov might end up being a decent middle 6 guy). The cap will be going up quite a bit by the second half of that contract and it'll be a lot easier to bury a $5M player in the bottom 6 if needed. Compare that to $6M back in 2016 or whatever when that massive blunder of $6M~ guys were signed which was top line winger money and $5M is going to be relatively low when the cap is $90M+

Well, if he's performing like this for the next 5 seasons, it really will probably be the best contract in the entire league, in respect to value.

Hopefully he follows Joe Pavelksi's career path in every hockey related regard.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Remember when we signed him and the majority of the fan base hated the deal? Now it's one of the best value contracts in the league.

Lots of posters with egg on their face.

I wouldn’t say the majority hated it. There was a wide range of reactions, and most didn’t hate it. I was disappointed in a sense because, like a lot of people on here, I wanted us to try and bring Hall back. But I still was happy we got Hyman as I was a big fan of his when he was in Toronto

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad