Player Discussion Zach Hyman

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Smyth wasn't playing with the two best players in the league. He was playing with guys like Horcoff and Hemsky yet scored more goals than Hyman could ever dream of without the precision pinpoint passing of guys like McD and Drai backing it up. Without playing with great players Hyman would be a 20 goal scorer. Like he was. No disrespect, love him, but lets not be ridiculous even comparing the guy to Smyth.
Eh I donno.

Hyman scored at a ~30 goal rate his final couple seasons with Toronto too and Smyth's best years came playing with Weight who was a top 10 centre at the time.

Hyman wouldn't be a 50 goal scorer without McDavid or Drai. Certainly not. But he'd be able to put up 30 on another teams good PP with good players around him.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Smyth wasn't playing with the two best players in the league. He was playing with guys like Horcoff and Hemsky yet scored more goals than Hyman could ever dream of without the precision pinpoint passing of guys like McD and Drai backing it up. Without playing with great players Hyman would be a 20 goal scorer. Like he was. No disrespect, love him, but lets not be ridiculous even comparing the guy to Smyth.
Smyth had no special physical gifts, but he was the best of his generation in front of the net (tipping, deflecting, banging in rebounds, and wraparound). And he could take the shitload of pain and abuse. Hyman may not be as good at some things, but he's much stronger and faster and overall more skilled than Smyth. Imagine having Hyman and Smyth in addition to Draisaitl and McDavid.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I don’t agree. “like he was.” Hyman is twice the player now then he was back when he was putting up a 20 goal pace. He’s become a master of the blue paint and not every player can do that. He puts up 30+ easy on any team imo.

That being said I wouldn’t say Hyman is better than Smyth. Smyth is an Oilers legend. Also a crease wizard but in a different way. Just an absolute dog eating cross checks until the puck bounced in off his ass. One of my all time favourite hockey players.

Last edited:

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
This version of Hyman might be better than any version of Smyth. Aside from net presence, Hyman is better than Smyth in every other category

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Holy shit. Smyth being underrated big time. I don't know, or care who is the better player analytically. Smyth literally bled orange and blue (copper and blue). I love Hyman, but he ain't in the same hemisphere as Smyth in terms of what he gave to the Oilers. I'm sure he'll get there, but he ain't there yet.

If what Stauffer has been alluding to in the past few years, not as much as you think.

Reactions: TB12

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Holy shit. Smyth being underrated big time. I don't know, or care who is the better player analytically. Smyth literally bled orange and blue (copper and blue). I love Hyman, but he ain't in the same hemisphere as Smyth in terms of what he gave to the Oilers. I'm sure he'll get there, but he ain't there yet.
He absolutely is. This is either overrating Smyth big time (which Oiler fans have had a tendency to do over the years) or underrating Hyman.

Smyth was a great Oiler obviously but Hyman brings the same exact intangibles with better puck possession skills tbh. I'm not going to say who is better between the two, Hyman is more of a late bloomer while Smyth got his career off the ground a lot sooner but Hyman bleeds copper and blue just as much as Smyth did but just hasn't done it for as long yet but he'll be remembered in the same vein one day, I'll bet anything on that.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
This version of Hyman might be better than any version of Smyth. Aside from net presence, Hyman is better than Smyth in every other category
I think Smyth was better along the boards than Hyman and probably also better at passing the puck.

Hyman a better skater and maybe slightly better hands.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
That is a remarkable stat.
Matthews is as pure a goal scorer as there is in this League.

Just goes to show the value of hockey smarts, hard work and fearless determination.
I fell into that trap, they talked about Matthews like he hit 60 goals back in February, lol. Hyman has been incredible this year. I really really hope he hits 60+

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I think Smyth was better along the boards than Hyman and probably also better at passing the puck.

Hyman a better skater and maybe slightly better hands.

They are similar style of players, I have it at:

Skating: Smyth < Hyman
Passing: Smyth > Hyman
Shot Accuracy: Smyth > Hyman
Shot Power: Smyth < Hyman
Deflections: Smyth > Hyman
Stick Handling: Smyth < Hyman
Overall Offensive IQ: Smyth > Hyman
Defensive Play: Smyth > Hyman
Overall Hustle: Equal
Pain Threshold: Smyth > Hyman

People forget that Smyth's best goalscoring season he was playing at EV with Kelly Buchburger and Mats Lindgren. Yeah he was on the power play with Weight et al, but at EV he was carrying the third line for most of that season.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
They are similar style of players, I have it at:

Skating: Smyth < Hyman
Passing: Smyth > Hyman
Shot Accuracy: Smyth > Hyman
Shot Power: Smyth < Hyman
Deflections: Smyth > Hyman
Stick Handling: Smyth < Hyman
Overall Offensive IQ: Smyth > Hyman
Defensive Play: Smyth > Hyman
Overall Hustle: Equal
Pain Threshold: Smyth > Hyman

People forget that Smyth's best goalscoring season he was playing at EV with Kelly Buchburger and Mats Lindgren. Yeah he was on the power play with Weight et al, but at EV he was carrying the third line for most of that season.
Smyth had way better hair and used the words "you know" 500 times more in interviews.:D

McDavid's going to get Hyman 60 this year. I can smell it.

From now on, I vote we all refer to him as Auston Amtthews. Especially on the mains.
Austin M. Hyman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad