Player Discussion Zach Hyman

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Wait...that was tweeted today and not two summers ago when he signed?

Bunting isn't even in the top 100 for points. :laugh:

Real shrewed by not bending the knee and taking a 7th rounder for his rights. That sure showed both Kenny and Zach.

Dubas' tantrum over that still makes me laugh.

In the end I think 7 years at a slightly higher cap hit plus getting Petrov with the pick is better, but boy Dubas was a child for that week.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
e0213ac5187f83ec8c3ccaab3f05db6c.png

I know we always talk about McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge, and Ekholm lately, but what about Hyman? The guy is scoring and contributing like a 1st line player on most NHL teams. I still remember Leaf fans saying when we signed him he was a glorified overpaid 3rd liner and will never amount to better totals than he has with the Leafs, yet, he has SURPASSED his best Leafs season in both years as an Oiler. Not to mention, he has more points than his Leafs team, except for 2 (Nylander and Marner). When will he finally get credit for what he's doing? All of Oil Country is in love with him. I've said this before. He's our version of Ryan Smyth. A likeable player who can score at key moments.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
He has been good overall this season but not sure about the timing of this bump. He isn't as effective as he was earlier. He was ahead of Nuge for a while but hasn't scored a PPG since January. 4G 11 assists in last 20GP despite getting prime PP time

Reactions: Sweetpotato

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He has been good overall this season but not sure about the timing of this bump. He isn't as effective as he was earlier. He was ahead of Nuge for a while but hasn't scored a PPG since January. 4G 11 assists in last 20GP despite getting prime PP time
That's still a 60 point pace. Was anyone even expecting that kind of production from him?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
That's still a 60 point pace. Was anyone even expecting that kind of production from him?
Based on what he produced last season and him getting the nod ahead of Kane on PP 60 pts is what we expected. He blew past it 2 months ago.

I don't think he is at Ryan Smyth level overall though.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Based on what he produced last season and him getting the nod ahead of Kane on PP 60 pts is what we expected. He blew past it 2 months ago.

You kidding me? Ryan Smyth's highest point total ever was 70 points. Hyman already passed that, and he's 4th on our team in points compared to Smyth who was 2nd (Weight was 1st). He plays hard in front of the net like Smyth, can be physical like Smyth, and battles regardless if the oilers are down or not. He's as close as you can get to a Ryan Smyth.

Can you blame him when he even said he was banged up quite a bit in that stretch? He still is producing just fine. I'm giving him love because he is super underrated compared to the top 3 scorers, and even Nuge is underrated to a degree.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Disagree completely with this. He's definitely been at Smyth level the last two seasons and has actually displayed a bit more skill than Smyth tbh.

With that said, he's definitely not playing as well the last 10 games or so. It seems like he's hampered by something. I think it would be a good idea to rest him some games down the stretch to recharge the batteries.

Last edited:

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Hyman has not been the same for a while, he's been trying to do a bit too much and plays have been dying on his stick when he skates himself into a corner. In general this year he's been great but he needs to get back to what makes him effective in the beginning of the year which is using his strength and motor to out work people, gain/keep possession and give dmen fits to compliment his star line mates.

That said, love him, I think as much as we love Smyth, he is our new Smyth and will be a fan favorite for a while.

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Hyman has not been the same for a while, he's been trying to do a bit too much and plays have been dying on his stick when he skates himself into a corner. In general this year he's been great but he needs to get back to what makes him effective in the beginning of the year which is using his strength and motor to out work people, gain/keep possession and give dmen fits to compliment his star line mates.

That said, love him, I think as much as we love Smyth, he is our new Smyth and will be a fan favorite for a while.
He looks like he needs a week off.

Reactions: Sweetpotato

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Are you guys serious? Hyman is way better than Smyth. The numbers back it up, the eye test backs it up, analytics weren't really a thing when Smyth played but Hyman aces those every year so doubt it'd be better. The guy is probably our best non McDrai puck carrier/playdriver/chance generator while also having PK utility etc.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Players that are supportive of lqtbqia+ need to be vocal about their support. Good on Zach. f*** these clowns that won't wear a pride jersey and want to make a night in support of inclusivity about themselves
"B-B-But they're not being tolerant of my views!"

Yeah, you're right. They aren't.

But yeah, really proud of Zach for sticking it to the others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad