Series Talk: ECQF: Boston Bruins vs Toronto Maple Leafs (Series Tied 3-3)

What will be the outcome of this series?

• Boston in 4

Votes: 95 6.1%
  • Boston in 5

Votes: 307 19.8%
  • Boston in 6

Votes: 445 28.7%
  • Boston in 7

Votes: 277 17.8%
  • Toronto in 4

Votes: 20 1.3%
  • Toronto in 5

Votes: 38 2.4%
  • Toronto in 6

Votes: 188 12.1%
  • Toronto in 7

Votes: 183 11.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Leafs go through head coaches like other teams go through toilet paper.

Sad.

What’s a new coach gonna do with this soft overpaid top 6.

Sad.
What? No they haven't. You're thinking of Edmonton maybe with the coaches. lol

And he’s been held pointless in 3 out of 4 games so far in the playoffs. He had one good game and has been invisible otherwise.
And people are saying that game 2 was his best playoff game ever. All these years later, in game 2 of round 1. And that's been his best game? Good God, man. lol

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Lost when dissecting the Leafs overall uninspired play is how good Boston has looked. They had a plan, and they are executing it to perfection.

Textbook playoff hockey, with great D and goaltending. Credit where credit is due.
I'll be honest, Boston has not been impressive. They have not been bad, but they have not been great. The Leafs have been complete trash, they are not prepared and play with 0 intensity. Marchand has been really good, Debrusk has been good, but Pastrnak and McAvoy haven't really done anything.

Reactions: leafsfan5

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
I think most are.

Yes.

It was an interesting experiment and might’ve worked had Tavares not gotten hurt. Load up on scoring and try to win. There’s no way they could’ve known how soft Marner would be in the playoffs and JT got hurt.

Now they’ve got all their money tied up with pure offensive guys and it’s a bad mix. They need to get rid of Marner and JT and then fill in the D and get a power forward.

Beetuzzi hasn’t been bad and Domi has had good and bad moments. But if your prime scorers aren’t there, you’re toast.

That’s always been Toronto’s problem.

Appreciate the insight. As I've gotten and busier I don't follow the league as a whole as much as I used to. So other than knowing the names and stats and expectations, I'm not seeing the product on the ice. But yeah if your top guys can't score, there's nothing else anyone is going to do. You can't expect the bottom 6 to make up the scoring expected from Matthews and others.

Hopefully for the fans of the team's sake they can move some contracts, but with the NMC I feel the doubt.

Leaf fans have wanted Marner gone since the Montreal series

1) No heart
2) Scared to get in the dirty areas
3) Cracks under pressure
4) Scared to take a hit, turns pucks over as a result or flips it over the glass
5) Extremely entitled
6) Massive ego, can't take critcism
7) Refuses to take any accountabilty
8) Extremely poor "leadership" skills
9) Doesn't perform in big games
10) Is being paid like a top player in the league

He is simply not a player you can win with. I've said it about a lot of other players in the past, he is one of them. If he is one of your "leaders" you are doomed. If he's on a team where he isn't wearing a letter, there are other veteran star players that take the lead and he can sit back and be the 3rd/4th option guy, he can be successful. He's just not what he's being paid to be, nor what he thinks he is.

Prime example, Eichel in Vegas. He had many of the same issues and poor habits/attitude as Marner in Buffalo. Gets traded to Vegas, where they have an extremely strong leadership group, guys who have won multiple cups, elite players that compete at both ends, where there isn't all the pressure in the world on him to perform, and he blossoms.

I think it's best for both sides to part ways.

Wow, I didn't realizes all that. I appreciate the info. That's super disappointing as I feel like most fans would love to have him on the team. But I don't want someone with those flaws getting paid like he doesn't have any.

Even if he just had some heart and got physical, but to avoid all of that and not produce to the offensive expectation is a slap in the face to teammates, ownership, and the fans.

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
Its no fun when leafs fans rip on their guys its way better when they have full faith in their 3 *100 point players* , don't give up so soon! Matthews scored 69 he can win this series!!
Actually its the most fun i've had in awhile and even better seeing the players going at each other on the bench priceless go bruins go.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
I’m not missing the point. Down 3-1 in this series, to this bruins team, is pathetic

But the Habs and sens are pathetic without even a hope of the playoffs. Let’s not get crazy here, you can’t pull out Habs and sens and come even close to comparing their failures with the leafs.

And this game 4 was P A T H E T I C

But the habs and especially the sens entire seasons were … not even NHL team worthy

100%. Babcock was right

Bring in Quennville
It's pathetic that the perennial joy derived by Leafs fans is relegated to being better than OTT and MTL all the while talking up the Leafs in social media and the TOR media as being Cup favorites all season long when everyone knows that in the playoffs they'll fold like a cheap tent. I'd much rather give kudos the OTT and MTL who play at their talent level than a bunch of overpaid prima donnas, the deluded TOR media and the pompous, holier than thou Leafs' fans who've won nothing since Sgt. Pepper was released.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
I'll be honest, Boston has not been impressive. They have not been bad, but they have not been great. The Leafs have been complete trash, they are not prepared and play with 0 intensity. Marchand has been really good, Debrusk has been good, but Pastrnak and McAvoy haven't really done anything.

If a point per game in the playoffs is not really doing anything I can’t wait until they do something.

Reactions: myleafs

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Leafs are spending too many men on him to keep Pasta from scoring...but he did manage to get one last night!:)

I want handshakes on the ice Tuesday night. I don't want to have to pay for game 7.

Marchy is such a great leader and excellent captain. He is a joy to watch.

I hate to hear fans boo their own team. Good way to completely blow their confidence.
Enough with blaming the fans. The fans gave their all to start that game and the leafs payed them back with that effort. They deserved the boos.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Lol. What does any of that have to do with the playoff series? You are so far gone there is no point in discussing this further. You are incapable of seeing things clearly. Like I said though, I get it. You've been borderline brainwashed into believing the players are gods so you are unable to see things any other way. It's easier for you to process when you put it on the goalie or the coaches.
Its not all on Sammy....he has been bad, the top guys have been bad outside of matthews 2nd game, coaching bad, lots of bad to go around.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Enough with blaming the fans. The fans gave their all to start that game and the leafs payed them back with that effort. They deserved the boos.

Fans can do whatever they want; it's their right since they paid the ticket. But I do think boo'ing doesn't help the cause especially with the fragile confidence of this Leaf core. Fans can absolutely pick up a team's play thru their energy and if the energy they're giving out is negative when the team is struggling, I think it makes their job a lot harder.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Samsonov has sucked. He’s let in a few bad goals. Boston had nothing Game 3 until Samsonov lets in a bantam hockey goal in a game the Leafs lose by 1 - but you can’t blame Samsonov?
dying on the samsonov is the reason we are losing hill and not the 40+milly boy band not producing...again.... is weird. Samsonov is not good but come on man, 12 games with a below 2 goals a game average is brutal.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Leaf fans have wanted Marner gone since the Montreal series

1) No heart
2) Scared to get in the dirty areas
3) Cracks under pressure
4) Scared to take a hit, turns pucks over as a result or flips it over the glass
5) Extremely entitled
6) Massive ego, can't take critcism
7) Refuses to take any accountabilty
8) Extremely poor "leadership" skills
9) Doesn't perform in big games
10) Is being paid like a top player in the league

He is simply not a player you can win with. I've said it about a lot of other players in the past, he is one of them. If he is one of your "leaders" you are doomed. If he's on a team where he isn't wearing a letter, there are other veteran star players that take the lead and he can sit back and be the 3rd/4th option guy, he can be successful. He's just not what he's being paid to be, nor what he thinks he is.

Prime example, Eichel in Vegas. He had many of the same issues and poor habits/attitude as Marner in Buffalo. Gets traded to Vegas, where they have an extremely strong leadership group, guys who have won multiple cups, elite players that compete at both ends, where there isn't all the pressure in the world on him to perform, and he blossoms.

I think it's best for both sides to part ways.

Eichel's attitude with buffalo was from his will to win and frustration with the environment. Vegas won a year after his acquisition and he was a leader in that locker room immediately.

Reactions: Chips

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Habs went to the finale in 2021 : the Leafs didn't.

And yeah, it was Covid Cup. Covid Cup for everyone, including the Leafs, and yet they shit the bed.

Matthews is a generational talent for sure, but the rest ? This team is a joke. I'll take the Habs, now and for the future, before Tavares-Nylander-Marner for 32M$.
I like Matthews but he is a generational regular season goal scoring talent.... so far in his career. He doesnt possess the same mettle as players like Mackinnon, Crosby, Ovie, Tkachuck etc.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Samsonov has sucked. He’s let in a few bad goals. Boston had nothing Game 3 until Samsonov lets in a bantam hockey goal in a game the Leafs lose by 1 - but you can’t blame Samsonov?

Matthews has points in 1 game

How about the biggest stars show up?

But nope, always the cheapest players get targeted

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Watched TSN panel.
Dreger says "Marner was the leafs best player he scored one goal yes...but he didn't do enuf!"
Huh?
Mr.69 had one shot on goal. That's it!
Shutout in 3 of 4 games.
Still Marners fault.

I'd love to have Marner as a Bruin. We can mature him. There's hope for him.
He'd have to take a paycut of course😁
I really dont think you could

Reactions: nORRis8

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
5fb9a47e-43ac-4609-af36-539cf4679c21-1_all_113197.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events