Post-Game Talk: Could've been worse. Leafs go down 3-1 in the game and the series.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
In fairness those players in the 'grit' list have made some notable mistakes leading to goals in the series. But it is redemption to get those back.

Why is it that Brad Marchand has 8 points in 4 games in the series while the high AAV players who dubas gave ridiculous amount, signing bonuses and ntcs/nmcs while the Leafs became a laughing stock in the league as no other team did such stupid and ridiculous deals with their RFAs, threw away draft capital and continued to "run it back"; ruining their own future with nothing to show in playoffs....

P.S.
Matthews+Tavares+Marner+Nylander* = 7 points combined
Brad Marchand = 8 points and absolutely trolling the F out of the Leafs

what's Marchand's AAV again?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
In fairness those players in the 'grit' list have made some notable mistakes leading to goals in the series. But it is redemption to get those back.
The Grit list also blocked some shots that probably would had gone in.
Also let’s not pretend our top guys were flawless the past few games.
Point is our top guys need to produce

Reactions: Cleetus

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
$6.125 M per

Its quite amazing that Tavares and Marner continue to to crap the bed in the playoffs. That 22 million in cap space that could have been put to good use.

The special teams being so bad both PP and PK is just so frustrating. And it is not just this season btw its been like that for a while when it comes to playoff hockey. Pucks die on tavvares' stick on PP especially. The worst thing Leafs did back then IMO. Its been 6 years of pure pain and will be 7 years by end of next season. Tavares probably the worst UFA signing in recent memory after Karlsson

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Its quite amazing that Tavares and Marner continue to to crap the bed in the playoffs. That 22 million in cap space that could have been put to good use.

The special teams being so bad both PP and PK is just so frustrating. And it is not just this season btw its been like that for a while when it comes to playoff hockey
Look at the positives.

Keefe seems real pleased that the boys are at least arguing now because it shows that they care.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Going to be our next Brodie, book it……..
Brodie was an elite defender, who has aged and lost a good deal of his effectiveness. But Rielly has never, ever been a good defender, let alone elite. It could be ugly for him real fast. We might be stuck with Keith Yandle for six more years.

Signing Tavares was the biggest mistake this whole regime made. But another was the ongoing mischaracterization of Morgan Rielly as a #1 defenseman. He's never been one. But we play him like he is, and we pay him like he is. When we look back at what went wrong in this era, that's going to be a huge part of it.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
I'm not shifting the blame :laugh: Just correcting how the data is presented.

I've been pretty vocal about the core and coaching of this team.
you can Correct the Data all you want but when that much cap is spent of a few players to produce and they dont, they are likely to lose the series, I posted this proving that blaming this all on Brads so called "grit" that he brought in is a bunch of BS, when your big money guys cannot produce

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Look at the positives.

Keefe seems real pleased that the boys are at least arguing now because it shows that they care.

Imagine a business model where your employees who take up 50%+ of salary structure continue to repeat the same garbage that has not had any success and are still employed by the owner.

If that owner goes bankrupt (or in Leafs analogy is a continuous playoff choker) would anyone have any sympathy for the owner for not righting the wrongs?

It is quite baffling that the same high AAV players continue to do the same trash every year in the playoffs; and most of the fans blame goal tending, defense, depth scoring or now that glasses has been fired; blaming the new GM

I find it absolutely hilarious

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Our stars do this all the time and it's never a problem though. So why would we use this against the supporting cast?

This part isn't for you because I don't know if you fit under this or not, but so many people have been getting exposed with how they don't care about all those stats they throw around unless they fit their narrative and the players they like look good.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017

The special teams being so bad both PP and PK is just so frustrating. And it is not just this season btw its been like that for a while when it comes to playoff hockey. Pucks die on tavvares' stick on PP especially. The worst thing Leafs did back then IMO. Its been 6 years of pure pain and will be 7 years by end of next season. Tavares probably the worst UFA signing in recent memory after Karlsson
Tavares was never a playoff stalwart for the Islanders. And like all our stars, we overpaid Marner hoping he would grow into the value.

Matthews is the only one who even remotely comes close to his contract.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
If that were the case, I think they would just say that he has a lower body injury like they do with everyone else. I don't think they would have said that the team physicians pulled him off.
The after game clips showed him barely able to use his left leg trying to get off the ice...I don't know why everybody thinks this clown show of an organization would say anything that would make sense. They could have said Willy had a migraine from day 1 and instead proceeded to have the media speculate on everything from food poisoning to concussion to God knows what. AM has had food poisoning about 3x in the last month if you go by what Keefe says.

Reactions: egd27

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Brodie was an elite defender, who has aged and lost a good deal of his effectiveness. But Rielly has never, ever been a good defender, let alone elite. It could be ugly for him real fast. We might be stuck with Keith Yandle for six more years.

Signing Tavares was the biggest mistake this whole regime made. But another was the ongoing mischaracterization of Morgan Rielly as a #1 defenseman. He's never been one. But we play him like he is, and we pay him like he is. When we look back at what went wrong in this era, that's going to be a huge part of it.

the day Rielly's skating slows he is done IMO

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014

And yet the Galaxy brain of Keefe still has them passing it off to him on a zone entry just in time for him to get swarmed and lose the puck. It's insanity at this point. Keefe saying that they tried changing things up during the regular season and it not proving fruitful enough to try again is all we need to know. Why Tre brought him back I will never know...but it also scares me when it comes to him picking the next coach if he didn't see what most of us had already seen.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
:laugh:
How they talk hasn't been an issue with them. It's the failure to have their play match their words that has turned fans against them, and rightfully so.
This is one of the worst quotes I've ever seen from a coach. Taking into account our situation, that quote is unacceptable. The coaching with this team of a huge, huge problem. Dubas completely f***ed up hiring his buddy without interviewing a single soul.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
The after game clips showed him barely able to use his left leg trying to get off the ice...I don't know why everybody thinks this clown show of an organization would say anything that would make sense. They could have said Willy had a migraine from day 1 and instead proceeded to have the media speculate on everything from food poisoning to concussion to God knows what. AM has had food poisoning about 3x in the last month if you go by what Keefe says.

who was that? Matthews?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
And yet the Galaxy brain of Keefe still has them passing it off to him on a zone entry just in time for him to get swarmed and lose the puck. It's insanity at this point. Keefe saying that they tried changing things up during the regular season and it not proving fruitful enough to try again is all we need to know. Why Tre brought him back I will never know...but it also scares me when it comes to him picking the next coach if he didn't see what most of us had already seen.

the only time Leafs PP looked dangerous in the regular season when Tavares was relegated to 2nd unit from what I can recall and I watched 78+ games this season.

The forcing of Tavares on PP#1 and giving him prime minutes while his line plays chicken in the defensive zone is something....

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
This is one of the worst quotes I've ever seen from a coach. Taking into account our situation, that quote is unacceptable. The coaching with this team of a huge, huge problem. Dubas completely f***ed up hiring his buddy without interviewing a single soul.
He's an exceptionally slow learner when it comes to choosing his words carefully. That's another quote seemingly designed to benefit those that mock him. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad