Rumor: Yzerman scouting Jets

• Thread starter Deleted member 218451
  • Start date

Whileee

May 29, 2010
That would be a embarrassing trade for Chevy to make after he traded Jets #13oa pick to keep Enström in expansion draft
...except he didn't trade a #13 overall pick. He moved swapped the #13 for the #24 (Vesalainen, who seems like a very good prospect at this point).

Reactions: golffuul

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
That would be a embarrassing trade for Chevy to make after he traded Jets #13oa pick to keep Enström in expansion draft
I don't think so. McPhee had everyone over a barrell at the time and it's doubtful that WPG re-signs Enstrom unless he takes a pay cut. So with the writing on the wall and the ability for Enstrom to go to a serious contender, who would have no responsibility to retain him past this season. Koekkoek seemingly has no spot in Tampa and WPG needs a bottom pair d-man that doesn't cost 4-5M/year. With salary retention, I think it's a win-win for Tampa who can still make another trade for a depth forward and still be under the cap. And it doesn't really effect WPG at all because even with salary retention they would still be paying less than having Enstrom on the roster for the whole year. Which is a big thing for WPG's owners.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
...except he didn't trade a #13 overall pick. He moved swapped the #13 for the #24 (Vesalainen, who seems like a very good prospect at this point).
And what do you call a situation where 13oa pick, and a 3rd rounder are switched for #24oa pick and a favor in expansion draft...? A trade!

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yzerman's trades wind up fair for both sides more often than anyone gets screwed over, Bishop-for-Conacher notwithstanding.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't think so. McPhee had everyone over a barrell at the time and it's doubtful that WPG re-signs Enstrom unless he takes a pay cut. So with the writing on the wall and the ability for Enstrom to go to a serious contender, who would have no responsibility to retain him past this season. Koekkoek seemingly has no spot in Tampa and WPG needs a bottom pair d-man that doesn't cost 4-5M/year. With salary retention, I think it's a win-win for Tampa who can still make another trade for a depth forward and still be under the cap. And it doesn't really effect WPG at all because even with salary retention they would still be paying less than having Enstrom on the roster for the whole year. Which is a big thing for WPG's owners.

While I think TB could easily be shopping Koekkoek (and I kind of hope they are; I think his ship in TB has sailed, but he could still have a good career elsewhere), I don't see us wanting a defenseman in return.

We have Hedman, Sergachev, and Coburn on the left side. None of those guys are coming out of the lineup right now. They're all playing well in their roles.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Yzerman's trades wind up fair for both sides more often than anyone gets screwed over, Bishop-for-Conacher notwithstanding.
Agreed. Both GMs don't make a habit of making trades without doing their due-diligence. Can't imagine there is a scenario that has them be trading partners and one fleeces the other.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I don't think the trade itself would be bad, but I do think it makes Chevy look bad if he drops 11 spots on 1st round and gives a 3rd rounder to protect enström, and then trades him in 5 months getting less value

Jets gave up
13oa->24oa + 3rd rounder to keep Enström

What would Tampa need to add to match what Jets gave up to keep him?
Koekkoek+ for Enström

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
And what do you call a situation where 13oa pick, and a 3rd rounder are switched for #24oa pick and a favor in expansion draft...? A trade!
Except you said he traded the 13th overall to protect enstrom in the expansion trade. You forgot to mention the other first round pick coming back.

Key piece of information you forgot to mention.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016

I could see a deal perhaps involving Myers and Foote. That would make a little more sense for the Jets wouldn't it?

Certainly. Jets have all their best D with the club, and our D cupboard isn't nearly as strong as our forward depth. Could see a deal that sees Myers + depth forward piece for Foote + Koekkoek.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Certainly. Jets have all their best D with the club, and our D cupboard isn't nearly as strong as our forward depth. Could see a deal that sees Myers + depth forward piece for Foote + Koekkoek.

That would **** our cap entirely, with Kucherov and Point coming up in '19.

Can't see us trading for Myers unless you're taking $ back, and even then, I'm not sure Myers is enough of an upgrade over what we currently have to justify giving up Foote, who's looked pretty fantastic since we drafted him.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Except you said he traded the 13th overall to protect enstrom in the expansion trade. You forgot to mention the other first round pick coming back.

Key piece of information you forgot to mention.
I guess I assumed everyone at HFBoards watched the expansion draft and knew the trade I was talking about, so I didn't bother to explain the whole thing

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
That would **** our cap entirely, with Kucherov and Point coming up in '19.

Can't see us trading for Myers unless you're taking $ back, and even then, I'm not sure Myers is enough of an upgrade over what we currently have to justify giving up Foote, who's looked pretty fantastic since we drafted him.
Myers contract ends after 18-19 season, so it wouldn't be a problem.

I like the Myers for Foote+pick/Koekkoek idea

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Myers contract ends after 18-19 season, so it wouldn't be a problem.

I like the Myers for Foote+pick/Koekkoek idea

It's a huge problem if we're giving up Foote for a guy we won't be able to resign in two years.

Just no reason to do this for TB. Dotchin's the only Dman other than Stralman who's ever brought out the best in Hedman, so I doubt we'd be replacing him. Then there's Stralman, who's Stralman, and then there's Girardi, whom we're paying $3m per year and looks like he's worth it so far.

We can't give up a major prospect for a guy who might not even be a good fit. Us acquiring Myers feels like an EA Sports trade.

We're 14-2-2. Our D looks better than it has in years. This is not the time when a cautious GM like SY says "**** it" and just blows things up.

We're probably scouting your 4C.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
It's a huge problem if we're giving up Foote for a guy we won't be able to resign in two years.

Just no reason to do this for TB. Dotchin's the only Dman other than Stralman who's ever brought out the best in Hedman, so I doubt we'd be replacing him. Then there's Stralman, who's Stralman, and then there's Girardi, whom we're paying $3m per year and looks like he's worth it so far.

We can't give up a major prospect for a guy who might not even be a good fit. Us acquiring Myers feels like an EA Sports trade. We're 13-2-2. Our D looks better than it has in years. This is not the time when a cautious GM like SY says "**** it" and just blows things up.

We're probably scouting your 4C.
Matt Hendricks? You're welcome to take him for free if you want to :laugh:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Matt Hendricks? You're welcome to take him for free if you want to :laugh:

He could seriously be what we're looking it. We're occasionally playing JT Brown, a winger, as our 4C.

Our other options are: Cedric Paquette, who misses 20 games per year with injuries, plays 50 games per year injured, and, if you're lucky, you get 10-12 healthy games from him.

And: Gabe Dumont, an AHL lifer who's on the team to win faceoffs, except he can no longer win faceoffs.

This is the glaring hole in TB's lineup. I'm not sure why everyone's jumping to the conclusion that we're trying to acquire a Dman, when our D looks set.

It could easily be something like two worthless players (Sustr for Hendricks) in hopes a change of scenery will do them good. I think that's far more likely, given the situation TB is in right now. Why the hell would we be looking to make a major trade when our core is playing better than it EVER has?

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
He could seriously be what we're looking it. We're occasionally playing JT Brown, a winger, as our 4C.

Our other options are: Cedric Paquette, who misses 20 games per year with injuries, plays 50 games per year injured, and, if you're lucky, you get 10-12 healthy games from him.

And: Gabe Dumont, an AHL lifer who's on the team to win faceoffs, except he can no longer win faceoffs.

This is the glaring hole in TB's lineup. I'm not sure why everyone's jumping to the conclusion that we're trying to acquire a Dman, when our D looks set.

It could easily be something like two worthless players (Sustr for Hendricks) in hopes a change of scenery will do them good. I think that's far more likely, given the situation TB is in right now. Why the hell would we be looking to make a major trade when our core is playing better than it EVER has?

I agree and further with a laundry list of bottom 6 players (Mathias, Tanev, Copp, Hendricks, Lowry, Perreault, Petan, Lemieux, Armia, Dano, etc...) that's what the Jets have a surplus of.
Just not sure that Stevie Y would make a point of catching 2 games to scout Matt Hendricks.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
We need cap space as much as anyone with Kucherovs contract coming up. If that means us giving up redundant forwards or defensemen in our prospect pools or swapping salary, sure, but Point is right there with Kucherov in terms of untouchable considering the value he brings to the lineup.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I agree and further with a laundry list of bottom 6 players (Mathias, Tanev, Copp, Hendricks, Lowry, Perreault, Petan, Lemieux, Armia, Dano, etc...) that's what the Jets have a surplus of.
Just not sure that Stevie Y would make a point of catching 2 games to scout Matt Hendricks.

That actually sounds like exactly something Yzerman would do.

We could use a 4C, or maybe he's looking at a bottom-six winger.

Petan feels a lot like an Yzerman player. Is he currently with the big club?

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
That actually sounds like exactly something Yzerman would do.

We could use a 4C, or maybe he's looking at a bottom-six winger.

Petan feels a lot like an Yzerman player. Is he currently with the big club?

No, he's in the AHL right now. Not sure he would play defence well enough to play 4th line minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad