Rumor: Yzerman scouting Jets

• Thread starter Deleted member 218451
  • Start date

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Your scenario is pretty ****ty for the Jets, depending of course on what the return is.

As a Jets fans I'd prefer if they just hang on to Trouba for the next three years and change if they can't get another young, top D back.

I'd rather Trouba for the next three years and nothing to show for it after than done than

It's a tough pill to swallow for sure but it seems like Trouba has likely made his choice. We can keep him here but we may not get optimal Trouba because he won't be happy. I'd rather have 10 good players who want to be here than 1 really really good player who doesn't.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It would make sense in the off-season, yeah, something around Johnson, but not now.

Hard to say if Johnson is the target. My guess is it will be a big package. Likely include Foote and your 2018 1st and probably a few add-ons from there.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
It would make sense in the off-season, yeah, something around Johnson, but not now.

Not around Johnson.....he's overpaid and too often injured TBH. No interest in him as a main piece, if you're wanting to dump his salary we can talk maybe if he comes cheap, but no interest in him as a main piece.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I would have very little appetite dealing with Yzerman, he is too good a judge of players to win a trade. The most you can expect is to break even. So if you are confident you can make a deal that will help both teams. You make it. But Yzerman is not going to lose a deal in value. Too sharp, and too good a hockey exec.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Probably something centred around Mike Rathje. Although I'm not sure who Winnipeg would throw in with Trouba to get that done

Reactions: Jets

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Not around Johnson.....he's overpaid and too often injured TBH. No interest in him as a main piece, if you're wanting to dump his salary we can talk maybe if he comes cheap, but no interest in him as a main piece.

Would kind of make sense if a deal around him and Myers were to happen. Both are overpaid, in the $5m range, injury prone, but solid when healthy.

I like to imagine another megadeal if Chevy truly believes he won't be able to lock down Trouba...

Trouba, Myers, Petan(?) for
Sergachev, Foote, Johnson, Koekkoek?

TBL:
-Top-pairing dman for Hedman
-Solid 2nd pairing dman
-Cheap replacement at 3C
Jets:
-Blue-chip/roster dman
-Promising young dman
-Solid 3C, bump down Lowry to 4C
-Another depth dman

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I am not liking any of these rumours, Yzerman is too good, the Bolts are the best team in the league and Tampa doesn't have available quality to make a deal really work.

A package would have to start with Sergechev but many other moving parts would have to be added.

It would get crazy complicated fast, too complicated.

Yzerman is probably kicking tires, maybe setting something up for year down the road.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Would kind of make sense if a deal around him and Myers were to happen. Both are overpaid, in the $5m range, injury prone, but solid when healthy.

I like to imagine another megadeal if Chevy truly believes he won't be able to lock down Trouba...

Trouba, Myers, Petan(?) for
Sergachev, Foote, Johnson, Koekkoek?

TBL:
-Top-pairing dman for Hedman
-Solid 2nd pairing dman
-Cheap replacement at 3C
Jets:
-Blue-chip/roster dman
-Promising young dman
-Solid 3C, bump down Lowry to 4C
-Another depth dman

I don't think the bolts need two D, they only need upgrades.

Myers for Johnson, sure might consider that but TBH that contract of Johnston is terrible. You have to pay someone to take it. Foote and Serg are nice pieces sure but neither are NHL ready for big mins like Trouba or Myers do/able to do on a nightly basis. Short term that move cripples our D, losing two good vets for two kids.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I am not liking any of these rumours, Yzerman is too good, the Bolts are the best team in the league and Tampa doesn't have available quality to make a deal really work.

A package would have to start with Sergechev but many other moving parts would have to be added.

Yzerman is probably kicking tires, maybe setting something up for year down the road.

The complicated part is really just Trouba and his demands. Something we will never be privy too.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

He is good, too good. He's probably the best exec in hockey. Learned from Holland and his years with Team Canada only strengthened his hockey cred. I am not sure what he wants from Winnipeg, but if I were Chevy I would tread lightly in a deal with Stevie Y. TB has a great team this year, they are no doubt wanting to strengthen their team for a deep playoff run.

Reactions: VictoriaJetsFan

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
The complicated part is really just Trouba and his demands. Something we will never be privy too.

if Trouba is the guy they are after and he gets dealt, then take Koekkoek or a package of players, prospects and draft picks and move on and any distraction will be gone.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I don't think Trouba is that bad of a distraction right now, if Kane is the distraction you are referring to from the past, patience clearly paid off of f in that trade, I want the deal to be done right. Patience should be the guiding principle.

Reactions: Hunter368

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Ah no, we want high end quality and are willing to wait for it.

it almost seems like the Bolts are trying to upgrade on Girardi, who can be waived then put in the AHL if no takers, and Shustr, who's a UFA after this season. if that's the case, and Trouba really wants to be in Florida somewhere, then Trouba is the guy ! and i don't think the Jets are dummies and will let Stevie Y fleece them, but what i was getting at with Koekkoek in a previous post is that if he's finally developing into something, and it looks like he finally might be, then if he was a piece coming back with some other good stuff, then he could step right into the Jets lineup and play. just speculation on my part.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't think Trouba is that bad of a distraction right now, if Kane is the distraction you are referring to from the past, patience clearly paid off of f in that trade, I want the deal to be done right. Patience should be the guiding principle.

Did it though? I mean Kane wanted out after his 30 goal season. His value was clearly much higher then than when we traded him. The smarter move was to deal him then. We likely could have gotten much more. Instead we waited for things to fester and reach a boiling point that got us in the headlines of the league for all the wrong reasons. Sure we got some decent pieces from that deal but we likely could have gotten much more. Trouba wants out, his value is high. Let's pull the trigger ASAP.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I don't know too much about Koekkoek or Tampa's prospect pool, maybe a deal could be made, but I just can't see it without Sergechev

Reactions: Heldig

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Ah no, we want high end quality and are willing to wait for it.

Agreed

You make a habit of throwing away high value players just b/c you will have no team. Chevy will not sell off trouba cheap, he will get his value or he won’t be traded.....especially critical for a small market team.

Reactions: Number 204

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Did it though? I mean Kane wanted out after his 30 goal season. His value was clearly much higher then than when we traded him. The smarter move was to deal him then. We likely could have gotten much more. Instead we waited for things to fester and reach a boiling point that got us in the headlines of the league for all the wrong reasons. Sure we got some decent pieces from that deal but we likely could have gotten much more. Trouba wants out, his value is high. Let's pull the trigger ASAP.

The return for Kane was really good, Myers is playing and Bogo is not, even if you consider that a wash the deal stands as Kane for Armia, Roslovic and Brendan Lemieux.

Pretty debatable if you could have scored a better return than that.

As for Trouba, he clearly gets along better with his mates than Kane ever did and he has not come out this year playing like he did at the end of last year, he has been pretty ordinary actually.

Wait until he improves and teams are more desperate.

Unless there is some smoke to the OEL stuff, I would wait...

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The return for Kane was really good, Myers is playing and Bogo is not, even if you consider that a wash the deal stands as Kane for Armia, Roslovic and Brendan Lemieux.

Pretty debatable if you could have scored a better return than that.

As for Trouba, he clearly gets along better with his mates than Kane ever did and he has not come out this year playing like he did at the end of last year, he has been pretty ordinary actually.

Wait until he improves and teams are more desperate.

Unless there is some smoke to the OEL stuff, I would wait...

A deal likely won't be done until the off season anyways. Jets will keep him until his contract is up. I'd bet on a trade happening at or just before the draft.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey

If the Bolts are indeed going for Trouba, it is going to be one expensive acquisition.

My personal opinion, which does not represent anyone but myself, is that excluding the obvious untouchables (91-86-77), there are three options for the basis of the package from Tampa:

a) Sergachev+
b) Point+
c) an overpayment in pure futures. My personal ask, as this would be the "unwanted" option out of the three (as in it doesn't fill our needs): Foote + Howden + Raddysh.

Sergachev and Point are both significantly younger and outperforming Trouba this season.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
To be brutally honest, the depth in the AHL for Tampa is underperforming badly this season. There are but a handful of players I would say could fill in an NHL roster spot right now and not look a step or two behind. Syracuse is a train wreck for the first part of the season, a team without a Captain and with vets either injured or underperforming. Condra is now wearing the "C" since coming off the injured list, and the injured players are starting to return. This team is no where near the talent or performance level of the group that lost in the Calder Cup finals last year, so any help SFY can provide will be appreciated even if it means giving up players with potential (ie Erne, Koekkoek) to get players back.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
it almost seems like the Bolts are trying to upgrade on Girardi, who can be waived then put in the AHL if no takers, and Shustr, who's a UFA after this season. if that's the case, and Trouba really wants to be in Florida somewhere, then Trouba is the guy ! and i don't think the Jets are dummies and will let Stevie Y fleece them, but what i was getting at with Koekkoek in a previous post is that if he's finally developing into something, and it looks like he finally might be, then if he was a piece coming back with some other good stuff, then he could step right into the Jets lineup and play. just speculation on my part.

Is this serious? We are more than fine with Girardi, he's nothing special bit he's doing his job and doing it well. We aren't trying to waive him at all. Trouba would be an amazing addition but not a pressing need right now unless the ask makes sense. From the sound of it a futures deal doesn't make too much sense for the Jets and we don't have the depth to lose a Johnson or Killorn.

Myers would be cheaper to obtain bit we can't afford his caphit and the only cap we really want to dump is Callahan and nobody is taking that. Enstrom makes no sense either as I don't see him being an upgrade over what we have and would be an expensive add.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad