Post-Game Talk: You're Lehtonen too many goals: Pens - 5, Stars - 1

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
This game had to show DB one thing... speed makes the Pens go. Adams, Pyatt, Glass, etc. are just dead weights. Get the speed out there and start activating the defense. That did WONDERS for today's game.

Obviously you guys read all night the places I feel we need to improve. I just want to harp on that one mega-positive today. You cannot hit what you cannot catch. Gibby, Vitale, Goc, Crosby line all played fast/furious. I loved it.

Stemps goal is a great example of his ability. He was mugged, fought through it, sped up past the defender, had the skill to bury.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Seth Rorabaugh ‏@emptynetters 8m

Game blog updated with postgame thoughts where I make excuses for the #Penguins win by blaming Chris Kunitz's health

Snippet:

That guy, more than anyone, deserves a punch in the face. Frankly, you can tell he was one of those guys in high school that got punched in the face a lot.

He's just another in a long line of cowards that cover the team. Amazing to me how easy it is to be a "journalist" these days. In Montreal, they'd put him on one of the TV shows just to tell him how stupid he is.

Hey Seth, remember the series 2 years ago when EVERYONE was healthy and the Flyers embarrassed the Pens by scoring at will on the PP and scoring a bunch of shorthanded goals just like they did on the weekend?

Last edited:

Jedi Pengu*

I'd have put the odds of Sutter being back next year at about 3% entering tonight...now it's closer to 0.3%.

I don't blame the guy for wanting out, but at the same time it's not like he's exactly played great since he got here, **** linemates or not. He's a bad fit and Goc will be both cheaper and more effective.

Actually, Sutter is right. I think he speaks for more players than himself. One of Dan or Sutter is gone next summer. Please be Disco, PLEASE!

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'd have put the odds of Sutter being back next year at about 3% entering tonight...now it's closer to 0.3%.

I don't blame the guy for wanting out, but at the same time it's not like he's exactly played great since he got here, **** linemates or not. He's a bad fit and Goc will be both cheaper and more effective.

He's not used to shadow top end players, which was his main role in Carolina. He doesn't have any talent around him to fill in for Staal as a legit scoring threat. And he's not a very good complement to the Sid/Geno dynamic here. He doesn't thrive as a puck possession player or as someone who will consistently win battles along the boards. And he doesn't have a mean bone in his body.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
It's early.. but I am seeing Stempniak slotting into a poor man's Bill Guerin type role. He is really fitting in on that line.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Yeah, speed is good, it's what makes Bylsma's aversion to it and love of slow players all the more confusing.

Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@penguins
The #Pens are 25-0-2 when Sidney Crosby has multiple points.

2crosby3.18.14.gif

I didn't notice the foot action the first time.

Mo Wanchuk

Embrace the Hate
Mar 16, 2009
Palm Isle
This game had to show DB one thing... speed makes the Pens go. Adams, Pyatt, Glass, etc. are just dead weights. Get the speed out there and start activating the defense. That did WONDERS for today's game.

Obviously you guys read all night the places I feel we need to improve. I just want to harp on that one mega-positive today. You cannot hit what you cannot catch. Gibby, Vitale, Goc, Crosby line all played fast/furious. I loved it.

Stemps goal is a great example of his ability. He was mugged, fought through it, sped up past the defender, had the skill to bury.

Is there any reason why Scrabbles isn't given a shot on the fourth line? I mean he's fast, agitates the hell outa the opposition and can chip in offensively? I'd love to see him get a shot there. But I'd also like to see Megna slotted in Jussi's spot until Beau returns. But I guess we can wish in one hand and **** in the other.

Mo Wanchuk

Embrace the Hate
Mar 16, 2009
Palm Isle
That guy, more than anyone, deserves a punch in the face. Frankly, you can tell he was one of those guys in high school that got punched in the face a lot.

He's just another in a long line of cowards that cover the team. Amazing to me how easy it is to be a "journalist" these days. In Montreal, they'd put him on one of the TV shows just to tell him how stupid he is.

He's is reaching Rossi levels of journalistic integrity. Don't ever go full Rossi.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
It's early.. but I am seeing Stempniak slotting into a poor man's Bill Guerin type role. He is really fitting in on that line.

He's not as big obviously. But he's fast and tenacious. And obviously has shown he can make plays with those two. I wouldn't call him a poor man's version of anything Sid's had outside of Hossa.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
+ KCS I thought they would be good together, but i didn't think they would be so good so soon.

+ DB Yesterday he gave the pens players that went to the Olympics a day off, tonight he limited some of there ice time, Sid only had 16 mins, Kunitz only had 12 mins, its important to give these guys some rest before the playoffs.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Is there any reason why Scrabbles isn't given a shot on the fourth line? I mean he's fast, agitates the hell outa the opposition and can chip in offensively? I'd love to see him get a shot there. But I'd also like to see Megna slotted in Jussi's spot until Beau returns. But I guess we can wish in one hand and **** in the other.

I'm never against it, but w/ Beau coming back he wouldn't be used. I also love Sill. Ultimately I want to see speed take over. Pyatt is done. What a joke. Glass/Adams should follow.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Yeah, speed is good, it's what makes Bylsma's aversion to it and love of slow players all the more confusing.

2crosby3.18.14.gif

from the original angle, the puck came out so fast, I thought he missed it. Turned to my wife and said, "only Sid could miss that ****ing shot"

luckily I'm a moron

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

2crosby3.18.14.gif

What a great tip pass to Sid from Stemp.

hiptanaka

Jan 12, 2006
Woonsocket
Wowsa... I don't like Sutter's quotes. You can feel his days are numbered. He is not happy.

Well I'm glad he at least spoke up and said what's on everyone else's his mind. Lines are all over the place and Sutter need not apologize for plainly pointing that out.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Well I'm glad he at least spoke up and said what's on everyone else's his mind. Lines are all over the place and Sutter need not apologize for plainly pointing that out.

People don't like canned answers and they don't like when players are completely honest.

Personally, I agree. I see nothing wrong with what Sutter said. He's right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad