Post-Game Talk: You're Lehtonen too many goals: Pens - 5, Stars - 1

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Some of the talk in here is about the odd man breaks. It was bad, but we activated our defense. If we pressure more, we will make those turnovers instead of breakouts. I like activating our defense.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I never said Jokinen is a must-sign and I don't think he is, I just don't think we're going to do better at 2nd line LW than him.

Kesler isn't going to help the LW situation and Kulemin isn't as good offensively as Jokinen. Jokinen has his sixth 45+ point season this year, which is what I consider solid for a second line winger. Kulemin has had one. They've both also had flukey 30 goal seasons despite never hitting 20 in any other seasons. For as inconsistent as Jokinen can be, he's produced at pretty much the same level since he came into the league, he's a .645 PPG 2nd line winger.

Kulemin is more of a shutdown guy who's had one year of shining offensively, but clearly isn't in the best situation to create offense now. It's a question mark at best, though.

I probably have the lowest opinion of Kulemin as anyone here, mind you, I'd love him on the third line on the cheap, but I don't see him as an upgrade on the 2nd line.

If Kesler is brought in then Jokinen isn't brought back and that 2nd line LW becomes a huge question mark if the Penguins are serious about using him as a third line center. Kesler would eat up any money we'd have to bring in a guy from outside the organization there.

For the record I think the odds of Jokinen being a Penguin next season are extremely small and we'd be better off keeping guys like Stempniak & Goc than him, but talking second line LW I see him as the best economic possibility that we'd have, short of moving Bennett there and creating a different hole elsewhere...and I'd really much rather have Bennett with Sid than Geno.

If Jokinen goes on a tear in the playoffs, then great. But we've already started to see DB bump him down the lineup b/c of lazy plays. I have my doubts.

Bennett, Stempniak, Neal, Kunitz, Dupuis, Kule. With Sid, Geno and Kesler down the middle. And Goc able to move up and allow Kesler to play wing?

I'll take that.

Fire Shero*

11 minutes for Stemp with no PK time...does Bylsma not know he is an awesome PKer? or is his love of Adams too great to realize other people besides Adams can PK, most of which can do a much better job aswell.

The only reason I can even try to understand why Adams plays every night is his alleged pk abilities. If Stempniak played big pk minutes, Bylsma would have 0 justification for dressing Adams, even in his own delusional mind.

Adams is terrible

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Not saying Gibby doesn't have his strong suits, I just don't think they trump some of our other scratch options. But considering DB sent Megna to the press box after he was arguably our best player against Philly, I can't imagine there's anything he could do to get into our playoff line-up this year either.

I just take out all logic and it makes it much easier to figure out who DB will play come playoff time. So Gibbons has a shot to help, if Pyatt is benched, but I'm guessing the scratches when BB is back will be Vitale and Gibbons.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
11 minutes for Stemp with no PK time...does Bylsma not know he is an awesome PKer? or is his love of Adams too great to realize other people besides Adams can PK, most of which can do a much better job aswell.

I think Bylsma is loathe to replace anyone who is already established in the lineup with a late trade rental... we saw it last year and this year... the only time these guys get a shot is when there is a hole that doesn't have an established vet that isn't a whipping boy in it... Adams isn't getting bumped by a youngster or a rental... Bylsma wont do to those guys what happened to him in his NHL days...

Anyhow, overall it was a fun game... still don't think any of the major problems are gone... next time we play any team that agitates us we will fall back into the same old same old...

On the flip side Stemp is the perfect Duper replacement... it would be nice to get a legit top winger for that line eventually, but as long as Crosby can make third liners with any offensive ability look like first line all stars that may never happen...

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The only reason I can even try to understand why Adams plays every night is his alleged pk abilities. If Stempniak played big pk minutes, Bylsma would have 0 justification for dressing Adams, even in his own delusional mind.

Adams is terrible

Did I mention Stempniak lead the league in SH points last season?

Good thing they don't need help in that dept.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
Wow, I'm a little surprised reading as much negativity on here after the game tonight. FAR from a perfect game, but...I thought the compete level was good tonight, MUCH better than recently...the forecheck was much better than it has been recently...they forced turnovers, had a really decent amount of puck posession/time in the O-zone, and hustled for 60 minutes, for a change. They played smartly physical overall, as a team.

Sid's line rocked. Glad to see Stemps starting to mesh. Jokinen is in a funk, as is Malkin. I expect both to play better soon. That said, Malkin played VERY well defensively, tonight, in my opinion.

Gibbons played a heck of a game. His speed is really disruptive, when he uses it correctly. I thought Despres played fairly well; one turnover that hurt (which I saw several other players make as well -- puck sliding off his stick while attempting a pass), but overall had a fine game. His puck movement, physicality, and ability to get the puck out of danger really helps, when he's in. I did not like seeing Megna sat, but I liked seeing Pyatt sat; was also glad to see DB at least SPLIT UP Adams and Glass, but -- he still played them both, over Megna. Poor.

Overall, I was happy with this game -- and it was good to see a response from the team after an embarrassing weekend, and ALSO an embarrassing trip to Dallas 2 months ago...the team showed a pulse, a real pulse, and to me that is a positive.

The issues still exist; too many odd-man rushes, and the score could have been closer than it was as a result; DB is still not icing his best lineup, etc. etc. But, a much better effort that was much needed...

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Definatly the dumbest coach in hockey, or even sports.:laugh: Hell, he even sat megna, LOL!!!!!!!

I'm still pissed about Megna.

Whoever wanted to know, he got scratched once before after recording a point, an assist, 30/11/13 against Florida. He didn't play the next game against the Islanders, and was back for the Sharks where he scored a goal.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
Anyone else want to see Megna tried on Malkin's LW some more (or, ever again)? Sure, it'd be nice if he had Jussi's skill, but he skates so well that he's an infinitely better forechecker, which really seems to be what 71 and 18 need.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Probably not. If he's not going to be 3C I doubt he wants to and he's not the 3C this team needs. So? Re-sign Goc and trade Sutter for top 6 winger help.

Glass said he “didn't know if (the Penguins) have a fourth line.”

“We have four lines we're confident in,” Glass said. “Call it third or fourth. We want to have good shifts every time out no matter who is on the lines.”

No ****, Glass, you have two fourth lines. You're on one and Adams is on the other.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Glass can go **** himself, or he and Bylsma can go **** each other.

That reads "Oh, we're so good and confident we don't have to number our bottom lines"

Honestly, eat ****. That guy shouldn't be saying "we" about anything.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Probably not. If he's not going to be 3C I doubt he wants to and he's not the 3C this team needs. So? Re-sign Goc and trade Sutter for top 6 winger help.

No ****, Glass, you have two fourth lines. You're on one and Adams is on the other.

NHL caliber fourth lines or AHL caliber fourth lines?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Glass can go **** himself, or he and Bylsma can go **** each other.

That reads "Oh, we're so good and confident we don't have to number our bottom lines"

Honestly, eat ****. That guy shouldn't be saying "we" about anything.

Lay off Glass. He almost won a board battle tonight, but unfortunately turned away from the puck.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
anyone have Glass' shots for/against numbers from tonight?

(or, better yet, tell me where I can find the game-by-game numbers)

Mo Wanchuk

Embrace the Hate
Mar 16, 2009
Palm Isle
Seth Rorabaugh ‏@emptynetters 8m

Game blog updated with postgame thoughts where I make excuses for the #Penguins win by blaming Chris Kunitz's health

Snippet:
-Over the past few days, plenty of amateur general managers have proclaimed the injuries of Chris Kunitz as well as James Neal this past weekend as "excuses" for the Penguins' losses to the Flyers' Saturday and Sunday.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
good players don't get moved. The Pens are trying to sell off valuable pieces because Sutter's been incapable of providing anything on the 3rd line.

Goc has come in and won face-offs and played well. No, he's not scoring, but no one is going to score with those line mates. But he's battling his ass off and winning battles and ****.

I like Sutter. I want him to be better because I wanna win the Staal trade!!!!11!!

But he's just not very good. It's disappointing.

Penguinzilla*

If healthy this team be a serious Cup contender, if the lines are right.

kun cros step
jok malk neal
goc sutter benn
who cares

martin, etc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad