Post-Game Talk: You're Lehtonen too many goals: Pens - 5, Stars - 1

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Don't re-sign Nisky and you're there.

I just don't get why we want this team to be a fast puck possession type team that owns the boards but we saddle Geno with a guy that doesn't exhibit any of those traits. Make his line more in line with the identity of the team and you might see a more consistent Malkin.

I hope Shero agrees in the offseason.

I agree in general. If we can get Kesler, Kulemin, and Goc that goes a long way to making the team hard to play against. The problem is that you'd likely have to move Despres in a Kesler trade. I'm not comfortable moving on from Nisky and moving Despres out.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
What a solid all around game from the Pens against a decent Stars team. That first line is really clicking! I've thought for a little over 3 years now that Stempniak would fit in here, I know this is a long shot from happening, but I hope we re-sign Stempniak (which we can) and play him on Sid's RW (which is the long shot). Solid top 9.

Kunitz-Crosby-Stempniak
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
Bennett-Sutter-Dupuis

I would rather do that than try to acquire Kesler, I feel like it completes our team more.

PensFreak

Jun 5, 2007
I was coaching a hockey camp last night and couldn't watch, so I have a question. The box score of this game worries me: this team is so carried by its top line. Is the box score reflective of the teams' reliance on the line most nights, including last night, or was it a pretty solid game from top to bottom by the team?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I agree in general. If we can get Kesler, Kulemin, and Goc that goes a long way to making the team hard to play against. The problem is that you'd likely have to move Despres in a Kesler trade. I'm not comfortable moving on from Nisky and moving Despres out.

If they do whatever they can to hold onto DP, I think he'll be in the NHL sooner than later. And we have enough depth at the position to fill things out from there. Bort will still be around. Dumoulin will be close to ready. Harrington a second year pro. Defense is the last thing this team should be investing cap room in.

Plus, I just don't like the idea of throwing 4+ at Nisky if Letang is here longterm. One would assume Martin is going to be re-signed as well.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
If they do whatever they can to hold onto DP, I think he'll be in the NHL sooner than later. And we have enough depth at the position to fill things out from there. Bort will still be around. Dumoulin will be close to ready. Harrington a second year pro. Defense is the last thing this team should be investing cap room in.

Plus, I just don't like the idea of throwing 4+ at Nisky if Letang is here longterm. One would assume Martin is going to be re-signed as well.

I agree, I'm just trying to think like Shero.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I agree, I'm just trying to think like Shero.

I view it as Despres and DP being one choice for Shero. Especially if the rumored Kesler asking price is true. If you're going to give DP the chance to make the team next year, then Despres becomes a bit more expendable.

Another is Letang vs. Nisky for me. If you're keeping Letang, and you're planning on Martin still being around, then where does Nisky fit where he isn't an ultra expensive 3rd pairing insurance policy.

If they re-sign Nisky, then nix signing one of the forwards I mentioned and give Megna the chance. And whatever cap space is left over, use it at the deadline to address things.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
I was coaching a hockey camp last night and couldn't watch, so I have a question. The box score of this game worries me: this team is so carried by its top line. Is the box score reflective of the teams' reliance on the line most nights, including last night, or was it a pretty solid game from top to bottom by the team?

Sid's line carried the scoring but outside of Malkin's line until the third, every line was playing well and forechecking hard.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I view it as Despres and DP being one choice for Shero. Especially if the rumored Kesler asking price is true. If you're going to give DP the chance to make the team next year, then Despres becomes a bit more expendable.

Another is Letang vs. Nisky for me. If you're keeping Letang, and you're planning on Martin still being around, then where does Nisky fit where he isn't an ultra expensive 3rd pairing insurance policy.

If they re-sign Nisky, then nix signing one of the forwards I mentioned and give Megna the chance. And whatever cap space is left over, use it at the deadline to address things.

I think that's a good way to look at things. Honestly, it just boils down to my love of Despres. He is adding a big physical element to his game recently and I think his combo of size and skating ability is extremely unique. I hate to give that up because, from all accounts, none of our other top D prospects bring much physicality to their game.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think that's a good way to look at things. Honestly, it just boils down to my love of Despres. He is adding a big physical element to his game recently and I think his combo of size and skating ability is extremely unique. I hate to give that up because, from all accounts, none of our other top D prospects bring much physicality to their game.

I'd like to see him given rope this postseason so he can carve out a niche on this team. I'd much rather see him flanking Martin than Scuds next season, but I'm not expecting it.

I don't have much of an attachment to any of our D-men. Maatta has been insane for a 19 year old, but if he gets us a young game breaking forward up front, then I'm all for it.

If Letang gets us 2-3 quality pieces that drastically improve our depth, I'm all for it as well.

This offseason will be very interesting. Eating popcorn gif level if we flame out again. Sid and Geno would be the only ones safe IMO. Including non-players.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Don't re-sign Nisky and you're there.

I just don't get why we want this team to be a fast puck possession type team that owns the boards but we saddle Geno with a guy that doesn't exhibit any of those traits. Make his line more in line with the identity of the team and you might see a more consistent Malkin.

I hope Shero agrees in the offseason.

I hope we have a new identity this offseason.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I hope we have a new identity this offseason.

We need to pick an identity. B/c having Jokinen, Glass, Adams, Pyatt and both Orpik and Scuds playing big minutes is not something that is conducive to a style with quick transitions and balls to the wall attacking in the O-zone.

I think if we had a coach who managed the roster better and personnel that fit the system, we'd be golden.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
tired of these chickenheads thinking jokinen is better player than bennett

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
tired of these chickenheads thinking jokinen is better player than bennett

I love Bennett, but the dude's only been in the NHL for 5 seconds. Let him grow first before assuming he's better than Jokinen. I'd like to think he has the potential to be, but we just don't know at this point.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
What a solid all around game from the Pens against a decent Stars team. That first line is really clicking! I've thought for a little over 3 years now that Stempniak would fit in here, I know this is a long shot from happening, but I hope we re-sign Stempniak (which we can) and play him on Sid's RW (which is the long shot). Solid top 9.

Kunitz-Crosby-Stempniak
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
Bennett-Sutter-Dupuis

I would rather do that than try to acquire Kesler, I feel like it completes our team more.

I absolutely do not agree with that. Kesler, any way you slice it, makes this team better. Adding Kelser at the expense of Sutter+ does not preclude us from resigning Stempniak.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
bennett is already better than jokinen. there is no situation where i would rather have jokinen than bennett

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
bennett is already better than jokinen. there is no situation where i would rather have jokinen than bennett

That's just not true, and I'm one of Bennett's biggest supporters. Let the guy prove himself for more than a handful of games before we decide to crown him. I think he WILL be better. He just flat out isn't right this second.

tinkezione

Butcher's Dog
Jul 22, 2013
Nicosia, Cyprus

That's really weird. Jokinen has scored 17 goals this season and people bash him down like there is no tomorrow? How many goals you need from him to redeem his necessity to this year's team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->